The Student Room Group

Do Muslims have a responsibility to address radicalism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Two points:

(a) That article says that the mosque leaders did know.

(b) About half of all UK mosques have Salafi or Deobandi-trained preachers - a surefire way to guarantee extremism.

1. Why do you not reply to my statement that 2-3% is NOT representative of the UK Muslim population

2. The guys in the article do not belong to the salafi sect. A LOT of pakistani scholars like that guy belong to an innovative sufi sect.

3. Why is being salafi/deobandi a surefire way of guaranteeing extremism? I follow the salaf and so do a lot of people. It is the one sect that does not innovate in the religion and practices Islam EXACTLY how it was practiced by Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him) and the following generation (the salaf). This is a fact that noone denies.

Seriously though what has extremism to do with salafism? I see this all the time in the papers and by other sects. I'm confused. Salafis follow the Quran and hadiths (Muhammed's sayings and actions) strictly in line with what Muhammed explained directly or by his followers in the next 3 generations (something he instructed us to do to avoid wrong interpretations).
And NOWHERE in our teachings does it promote extremism. Absolutely nowhere. You go into Green Lane Mosque (salafi mosque) in Birmingham or East London Mosque in London and ask one of their scholars what does salafism say about extremism.

TLDR: Stop using Daily Mail/hate speech as your source of islamic information.
Nope. They probably just minding their own business like you and I
Original post by queen-bee
Nope. They probably just minding their own business like you and I

FYI

The following errors occurred with your submission

queen-bee has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Reply 63
Original post by Butternuts96
1. Why do you not reply to my statement that 2-3% is NOT representative of the UK Muslim population

2. The guys in the article do not belong to the salafi sect. A LOT of pakistani scholars like that guy belong to an innovative sufi sect.

3. Why is being salafi/deobandi a surefire way of guaranteeing extremism? I follow the salaf and so do a lot of people. It is the one sect that does not innovate in the religion and practices Islam EXACTLY how it was practiced by Muhammed (peace and prayers upon him) and the following generation (the salaf). This is a fact that noone denies.

Seriously though what has extremism to do with salafism? I see this all the time in the papers and by other sects. I'm confused. Salafis follow the Quran and hadiths (Muhammed's sayings and actions) strictly in line with what Muhammed explained directly or by his followers in the next 3 generations (something he instructed us to do to avoid wrong interpretations).
And NOWHERE in our teachings does it promote extremism. Absolutely nowhere. You go into Green Lane Mosque (salafi mosque) in Birmingham or East London Mosque in London and ask one of their scholars what does salafism say about extremism.

Well said. 😊

Seriously though what has extremism to do with salafism?

A literal, Salafi, interpretation of the scripture is the source of today's extremism. To stay in the seventh century is to stay within Mohammed's desert war, and with mediaeval morality. As I pointed out, about half of UK's mosques are of this nature, and it isn't good.

I never read the Daily Mail, or any tabloid, unless someone points out something in it occasionally.
(edited 8 years ago)
A literal, Salafi, interpretation of the scripture is the source of today's extremism. To stay in the seventh century is to stay within Mohammed's desert war, and with mediaeval morality.

I never read the Daily Mail, or any tabloid, unless someone points out something in it occasionally.

You, an ignorant non-muslim who has no idea of what goes on in muslim communities have just literally ignored everything I said as an in-the-know salafi muslim about my own sect.

Please re-read my previous post. Salafism has zero links to extremism. The ISIS lot are called khawaarij, not salafis.

Spoiler

You, an ignorant non-muslim who has no idea of what goes on in muslim communities have just literally ignored everything I said as an in-the-know salafi muslim about my own sect.

Please re-read my previous post. Salafism has zero links to extremism. The ISIS lot are called khawaarij, not salafis.

Spoiler

I've not been talking about ISIS at all. I'm more concerned with those who are more numerous but follow literal interpretations and think that is a good thing. It isn't; it is the biggest problem with Islam in the west, and the cause of non-integration.
Reply 67
Original post by Salon
Well said. 😊

I agree. Peole read the tabloids and they get drawn into terriost thinking themselves. ha ha what a joke!!!!
Original post by Salon
I agree. Peole read the tabloids and they get drawn into terriost thinking themselves. ha ha what a joke!!!!

Is talking to yourself the only way to get a good conversation?
Of course I would be up for it. But the real question is how? Social media has played a big part on radicalizing individuals and it's mainly because of the anonymity. Someone who I know in real life may seem genuinely like a well-minded Muslim but could be a completely person different online.
I personally don't have any social media so I don't know what it's like but I guess more of us who do should report things we see are suspicious.
Reply 70

You more than welcome to talk to me as long as you don't copy and paste tabloid quotes ha ha ha. How naive and stupid are some people in the UK.
Reply 71
Original post by Salon
Bull Xxxt. Muslims are integrated. American's policy is to destroy us Muslims but it's not going to happen. We growing stronger and stronger

You really think America has a policy to destroy all Muslims? And is that supposed to be intimidating, the "we're growing stronger and stronger" part?

It sounds like you very much see it as "us (muslims) vs them (the west)". You don't sound integrated at all.
I've not been talking about ISIS at all. I'm more concerned with those who are more numerous but follow literal interpretations and think that is a good thing. It isn't; it is the biggest problem with Islam in the west, and the cause of non-integration.

What does literal interpretation mean? This is what's wrong with unknowledgeable muslims and critics of Islam. Criticise the religion all you want intrinsically but stop comparing Islam to Christianity where "everyone's interpretations count" and "anyone can interpret God's words". We just don't have that in Islam. Muhammad (peace and prayers upon him) prevented this from happening.

He said anyone that introduces something to Islam that we have not introduced (interpretations/actions/beliefs) then it is rejected. He also said that every newly invented matter is a misguidance and all that misguides leads to the fire. There are several more narrations like this that noone disputes. This is a fundamental concept of our religion. A law from within (this is why I mentioned intrinsice above).

So which interpretations count?

Muhammed said to hold to HIS interpretation and of his four closest companions especially. He said that his generation is the best (his companions) and then he said it is the next three generations after him. All interpretations are to be taken from his generation and the next three for any Quranic verse and hadith. He also said that Islamic rulings are clear and we should stay away from any grey areas. (Again, these are all authentic sayings of his that noone disputes).

Now if I'm a salafi who ain't apologetic about his religion (unlike the majority of muslims) and I follow all the islamic rules rather than pick and choose (which is what most muslims do) . . . How on Earth am I not integrating with the West? I absolutely guarantee you I have contributed more to society than you (a non-muslim) have and I most likely will do in the future as well (current 1st year med student).

TLDR: Find me one quote from the Quran which says or implies "YOU MUSLIMS BEST NOT INTEGRATE WITH THOSE DASTARDLY NON MUSLIMS IN THE WEST. OH AND BTW MAKE SURE YOU BLOW THEM ALL UP AS WELL AS YOURSELVES"
Reply 73
Original post by Salon

I think this is one such way that Muslims don't understand the West. Because Muslims have been brought up only knowing morality within the frame of Islam, they can't really see outside of it. They naturally assume that everyone has the same idea of what is moral and what isn't, and that people just care about these morals to greater or lesser degrees.

Because they feel that the morals in Islam are pretty much all there is to know about morality, they can't imagine that anyone could learn about Islam and be morally repulsed by it, so instead they assume that anyone who is must be misinformed or influenced by sensationalist journalism.

I agree with you, your post on the previous page summed it up really well and then they came on this page with replies of the exact nature you said.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't get me wrong. I agree that, according to the Koran, a literal interpretation is the only right one.

Unfortunately, it is also the one that uses least common sense for the modern world and condemns Islam (and Moslems) to live in the atmosphere of seventh century desert warfare of Arabia. It has a backward-looking and vengeful morality, condemns Moslems to ineffective integration into western society, and breeds mistrust.
Reply 76
What does literal interpretation mean? This is what's wrong with unknowledgeable muslims and critics of Islam. Criticise the religion all you want intrinsically but stop comparing Islam to Christianity where "everyone's interpretations count" and "anyone can interpret God's words". We just don't have that in Islam. Muhammad (peace and prayers upon him) prevented this from happening.

He said anyone that introduces something to Islam that we have not introduced (interpretations/actions/beliefs) then it is rejected. He also said that every newly invented matter is a misguidance and all that misguides leads to the fire. There are several more narrations like this that noone disputes. This is a fundamental concept of our religion. A law from within (this is why I mentioned intrinsice above).

Muhammed said to hold to HIS interpretation and of his four closest companions especially. He said that his generation is the best (his companions) and then he said it is the next three generations after him. All interpretations are to be taken from his generation and the next three for any Quranic verse and hadith. He also said that Islamic rulings are clear and we should stay away from any grey areas. (Again, these are all authentic sayings of his that noone disputes).

Now if I'm a salafi who ain't apologetic about his religion (unlike the majority of muslims) and I follow all the islamic rules rather than pick and choose (which is what most muslims do) . . . How on Earth am I not integrating with the West? I absolutely guarantee you I have contributed more to society than you (a non-muslim) have and I most likely will do in the future as well (current 1st year med student).

TLDR: Find me one quote from the Quran which says or implies "YOU MUSLIMS BEST NOT INTEGRATE WITH THOSE DASTARDLY NON MUSLIMS IN THE WEST. OH AND BTW MAKE SURE YOU BLOW THEM ALL UP AS WELL AS YOURSELVES"

Here we go.. Another extremist who isn't a Muslim. 👍🏽 get a life man and stop quoting things.
Don't get me wrong. I agree that, according to the Koran, a literal interpretation is the only right one.

Unfortunately, it is also the one that uses least common sense for the modern world and condemns Islam (and Moslems) to live in the atmosphere of seventh century desert warfare of Arabia. It has a backward-looking and vengeful morality, condemns Moslems to ineffective integration into western society, and breeds mistrust.

You ignored the parts of my reply that you had no reply to. The part that challenged you to provide evidence rather than rely on personal conjecture.

Spoiler

Original post by Salon
Here we go.. Another extremist who isn't a Muslim. 👍🏽 get a life man and stop quoting things.

Lol, what?
You ignored the parts of my reply that you had no reply to. The part that challenged you to provide evidence rather than rely on personal conjecture.

Spoiler

It is a bit rich when someone who wrote this:

I absolutely guarantee you I have contributed more to society than you (a non-muslim) have and I most likely will do in the future as well (current 1st year med student).

accuses me of conjecture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending