The Student Room Group

Really want to learn french

I would really like to start speaking/learning French. I never really listen to what my teacher said at school (Year 9) as i always thought it was pointless so i'm basically starting from the beginning. I'm going to attempt to learn it once my exams have finished and would just like to prepare for the journey. If anyone has a methods of learning, textbooks they have used, websites, some sort of software that pronounces the words/phrases so i can get them right.

I won't be able to afford much as I don't have much money so if any one could suggest books/software that are either free or pretty cheap i would appreciate it. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, i couldn't find any other 'relevant' topic for this post.

Thanks in advance.
You might find Duolingo to be helpful, it's free to sign up and will teach you basic phrases, grammar etc. I used it to start learning Italian :smile:
je voudrais une glace
Original post by Richpeasant
I would really like to start speaking/learning French. I never really listen to what my teacher said at school (Year 9) as i always thought it was pointless so i'm basically starting from the beginning. I'm going to attempt to learn it once my exams have finished and would just like to prepare for the journey. If anyone has a methods of learning, textbooks they have used, websites, some sort of software that pronounces the words/phrases so i can get them right.

I won't be able to afford much as I don't have much money so if any one could suggest books/software that are either free or pretty cheap i would appreciate it. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, i couldn't find any other 'relevant' topic for this post.

Thanks in advance.

Watch the news every morning in french
Also start watching all your movies in french (not necessarily french movies, just movies settled in french) WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES ! And try to concentrate on what you hear and relate the words to the subtitles :yep:
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Watch the news every morning in french
Also start watching all your movies in french (not necessarily french movies, just movies settled in french) WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES ! And try to concentrate on what you hear and relate the words to the subtitles :yep:

Iv'e never thought of that, i'll start doing it! Thanks alot !
Original post by Leviathan1741
You might find Duolingo to be helpful, it's free to sign up and will teach you basic phrases, grammar etc. I used it to start learning Italian :smile:

Do you know if there's an app for it? Twice you've helped me out in the last few days. Thanks alot :smile:
Do you know if there's an app for it? Twice you've helped me out in the last few days. Thanks alot :smile:

I think there is, but I'm not totally sure. And you're welcome :smile:
Iv'e never thought of that, i'll start doing it! Thanks alot !

No prb :wink: and it really works, I learned english like that (end by reading in english as well)
And if you wanna practise by talking in french with me , I'd be happy to help :h: (I'm a french native)
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
No prb :wink: and it really works, I learned english like that (end by reading in english as well)
And if you wanna practise by talking in french with me , I'd be happy to help :h: (I'm a french native)

Did you find listening or reader English more beneficial or was it a mix? Thanks for the offer, i'm sure you'll see me around your message box asking about something sooner or later :colondollar:
Did you find listening or reader English more beneficial or was it a mix? Thanks for the offer, i'm sure you'll see me around your message box asking about something sooner or later :colondollar:

Tbh , you have to do them both !! When you read, the benefit is learning new words , and you can stop easily to google a word you don't know for ex. The listening will help you for the pronounciation stuff, and it really REALLY helps :yep:

No problem :smile:
There is! I use Duolingo for my French GCSEs and it is amazing... Memrise is also another brilliant app which is one the same, if not higher, level as Duolingo

Thanks in advance.

Hey :smile: I'm trying to learn French too, but as someone's who has managed to...relatively successfully...learn German to a good extent, here are the resources I recommend:

- As already said, Duolingo.
- Memrise and Lingvist are 2 other options for building vocab.
- Listen to french music, music will help you sooo much with pronunciation and listening skills.
- Try and find french children's shows to watch, don't jump straight in to something difficult.
- Find french children's BOOKS to read as well, language won't be as complex.
- Ensure you try and do something about it every day - even if it's just learning 5 new words.
- Speak/type with native speakers.
- Set up a language learning blog (on tumblr that is something called the ''langblr'' community which you could look into)
- Try and incorporate the language into the real world, e.g. whenever you're counting start counting in French instead, or whenever you look at certain objects think of the word in French first before english.
- Forvo.com is good for checking pronunciation of words.
- LyricsTraining.com you should check out when you're more confident listening to french; you have to type out the missing words being sung in a song.
- clozemaster.com also for when you've got a good grounding; you need to pick the word that matches the translation
- try and actually do something with the language, I've realised if I'm not actively using German in some way (e.g. by speaking to people in German, or because I do it at college, revising German) my skills worsen. Ensure you're doing something and not just trying to learn it without using it.

Hope this helps.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inexorably
Hey :smile: I'm trying to learn French too, but as someone's who has managed to...relatively successfully...learn German to a good extent, here are the resources I recommend:

- As already said, Duolingo.
- Memrise and Lingvist are 2 other options for building vocab.
- Listen to french music, music will help you sooo much with pronunciation and listening skills.
- Try and find french children's shows to watch, don't jump straight in to something difficult.
- Find french children's BOOKS to read as well, language won't be as complex.
- Ensure you try and do something about it every day - even if it's just learning 5 new words.
- Speak/type with native speakers.
- Set up a language learning blog (on tumblr that is something called the ''langblr'' community which you could look into)
- Try and incorporate the language into the real world, e.g. whenever you're counting start counting in French instead, or whenever you look at certain objects think of the word in French first before english.
- Forvo.com is good for checking pronunciation of words.
- LyricsTraining.com you should check out when you're more confident listening to french; you have to type out the missing words being sung in a song.
- clozemaster.com also for when you've got a good grounding; you need to pick the word that matches the translation
- try and actually do something with the language, I've realised if I'm not actively using German in some way (e.g. by speaking to people in German, or because I do it at college, revising German) my skills worsen. Ensure you're doing something and not just trying to learn it without using it.

Hope this helps.

This is so so so helpful and i will take all of these on board. The main problem is with not actively being able to speak in French, i don't know anyone IRL who can speak it so trying to keep up with it may be difficult, i do often find myself playing with french players on video games so maybe i can incorporate it there :biggrin:
This is so so so helpful and i will take all of these on board. The main problem is with not actively being able to speak in French, i don't know anyone IRL who can speak it so trying to keep up with it may be difficult, i do often find myself playing with french players on video games so maybe i can incorporate it there :biggrin:

yeah it is really hard - there are a few on this forum you can use french with and various others online; but obviously bridging the speaking barrier is hard :tongue:

Thanks in advance.

Duolingo is definitely your best bet! It's a fab. Free to download and use. Not one of those annoying apps where you have to pay to do anything.
You're better to learn basics (ie. duolingo), then instead of learning every single tense and every single verb start reading a really easy book. As in, a book for 3 year olds! This may seem absolutely pointless and let's face it, embarassing! But it's definitely worth it in the long run. If you don't understand a work then look it up, (google translate is okay if it's just 1 word, but don't go typing in whole sentences, you're better to work it out yourself) also don't do this for every single word as you will be there for hours (quite literally!) it will also annoy you. Read around the word and try and work out what it could mean.
Hope this has been helpful :smile:
Listen to french music (it's actually really good) and also you can learn vocab on memrise. Also watch cartoons in french -e.g Peppa Pig in french is on Youtube :smile:
francais est mal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending