The Student Room Group

Worth getting a dash cam?

Afternoon :smile:,

I passed my test last September, and generally enjoy driving.
But seeing quite a lot of 'dash cam footage' videos on Youtube and even witnissing a few slightly scary things on my own travels a few times, I can't help but keep thinking it may be worth getting myself a dash cam?

I do a decent amount of travelling (220-250+ miles per week), so do you think it would be worth it?
If so, is their any dash cam in particular anyone here recommends?
Original post by gta.sean
Afternoon :smile:,

I passed my test last September, and generally enjoy driving.
But seeing quite a lot of 'dash cam footage' videos on Youtube and even witnissing a few slightly scary things on my own travels a few times, I can't help but keep thinking it may be worth getting myself a dash cam?

I do a decent amount of travelling (220-250+ miles per week), so do you think it would be worth it?
If so, is their any dash cam in particular anyone here recommends?

I passed my test last August, and haven't used a dash cam, nor do I ever want to ideally... I would just always feel as though there's a big brother watching me... If I were involved in a crash where a dash cam would've helped sort out who was at fault etc, then I'd probably change my view, but I think if they were that good, a lot more people would've adopted them by now?
Reply 2
Seems a good idea?

I'd consider how you plan to wire it in, though. I find wires plugged into fag lighter sockets incredibly untidy.
I would look to using a space in your fuse box or running a direct feed to a small dedicated fusebox and then use the appropriate transformer to take the voltage down from 12 to 5volts which is what most in car gadgets run on.
This allows you to have a dedicated cable stashed away in the top of the dash or on the A post for the device rather than cables running everywhere!
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
Seems a good idea?

I'd consider how you plan to wire it in, though. I find wires plugged into fag lighter sockets incredibly untidy.
I would look to using a space in your fuse box or running a direct feed to a small dedicated fusebox and then use the appropriate transformer to take the voltage down from 12 to 5volts which is what most in car gadgets run on.
This allows you to have a dedicated cable stashed away in the top of the dash or on the A post for the device rather than cables running everywhere!

It's easier than that. Just pick up something like this:

Use a fuse-tap like this:

And hook up the socket to that and a suitable ground, and plug in the fuse tap to a suitable switched fuse. Insert the power supply that came with the dash cam into the socket and secure it with tape, and zip tie that whole package up under the dash near the fuse box.

Run the cable up inside the A-pillar and above the head lining to just above the rear view mirror. All done! Waaaay better than just plugging it into the cigarette lighter and having wires all over the place.

I love my dash cam. Definitely worth the very reasonable investment.
Reply 4
Using a female 12volt plug and wrapping the whole lot up with tape is real mickey mouse style cowboy bodgery IMHO. Especially when you can buy a transformer for around a fiver.
I do think that they are a good idea and I have been looking at getting myself one but not sure which one would be best to go for, I don't want one that goes into the lighter socket I would probably prefer one that runs off the fuse box which isn't complicated to get the wires hidden as don't want dismantle the car internally. I think that they are meant to help bring down your insurance but depends who you are with, some will give you ones which they recommend others will provide you with the camera or other gadget.

I think that more people will start to use them with all the claims being made which crash for cash jobs are going on and increasing. It will also help with providing evidence if you are involved in an accident which could prove that it wasn't your fault where without the video you would otherwise be at fault
Reply 6
Why would you NOT get a dash cam?

- For a start, a lot of insurers offer discounts for installing them, which more than cover the cost. Swiftcover and AXA each offer 10% discount. If you're paying £1k insurance, that's a £100 saving and you can pick a good enough cam up for £50 or so, therefore you've essentially gained yourself £50.

- You of course get the protection of totally impartial evidence of any incidents. Protect yourself, your excess, your no claims bonus, etc.

- Parking Modes mean you can see just who caused that dent in your car and made off.

- May put off thieves.

- Can get some with GPS trackers built in if the car is stolen

- Speed monitoring to prove your speed if you're accused of going too fast.

- Some have internal facing cameras, providing evidence if you're accused of being on your phone or something.

The only reason you'd not want to get one is if you plan on doing something with your car you wouldn't want any one else to see. And if that's the case, you shouldn't be on the (public) roads.

As for recommendations, there are loads but the Nextbase series make for a good starting point: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&field-keywords=nextbase%20dash%20cam&linkCode=ur2&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anextbase%20dash%20cam&sprefix=nextbase%20%2Caps%2C382&tag=webq-21&url=search-alias%3Daps

They also have a load of accessories at places like Halfords, Maplin, etc. including simple hard wire kits, or you can pay Halfords to fit them

Swiftover actually up their discount to 12.5% if you've got a Nextbase dashcam too.
Ive considered getting one.
At the moment, i dont really drive far enough to warrant having one (e.g. work is a 3 minute drive away), but if i worked slightly further away, then id definitely get one.
Can be worth getting. Of course, if you're at fault then you're caught red handed too, so there's also that to think about. Bit of a double-edged sword in that respect.
I bought one as I drive around 400-500 miles a week to and from work and even though I've not needed the footage yet (thank goodness), I still believe that it was one if the best investments I've made. It really would have come in handy when I had my accident as most if the time you can never tell what exactly happened. I wouldn't want to run the risk of not having one if you're a regular commuter personally, and I would make sure that you get one with half decent night vision if you drive in the dark too.

Have a look online at the specs for cameras. I use a Kenwood one which is great, but it's in the higher price range, but you definately get what you pay for. Also like others say you can get it wired into your fuse box. If you're not happy doing it yourself then I'm sure there will be garages or mod workshops in your area that do it for you.
Yup

I'm getting me two Möbius cameras fitted. Total cost is around the £250 mark
I would say definitely worth getting a dashcam. We have a shunt on the back of our new car, and my parents think it's me, and it most definitely wasn't. Since it appears to get worse and worse every week, I can only assume that local youths are to blame.

Get a dashcam, and get CCTV in your drive too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending