Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you revise?
Original post by fangbandit
Not including BTEC equivalents - 9A* 3A 1B
Including BTEC equivalents - 12A* 3A 1B

how did you revise
Original post by nisha.sri
how did you revise

Well first of all everyone should find their own revision style that suits them as not everyone will learn in the same way. I find it depends on the subject but here's what I did, hope this helps...

Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Astronomy/Human Health and Physiology: I used both the CGP revision guides and workbooks as well as the exam board endorsed guides. I made notes from each page and did lots of questions and past papers. I liked mind map style revision too.

Geography: used the AQA revision guide and CGP one too. Made case study flashcards and did past papers. Also used revision worksheet packs my teacher gave us.

History/RE: My teachers gave us revision notes which I went away and learned by writing it out again, summarising and doing past paper questions.

Maths and further maths: past papers

English lang and lit: I'm not gonna lie I didn't really revise, I hated it and refused to do much work. Sort of read the notes for the books we studied and did past papers in class but did little prep outside school. I'd recommend trying harder than I did.

Health and social: I did nothing outside of school, basically did this because I ran out of options I wanted to take, it was the best of what was left to choose. My class prep was enough.

My ICT and applied science were 100% coursework BTECs, so no revision.

Hope this helps, remember to use past papers and ask your teachers if you don't understand something. Hope you find a revision style that works, try using youtube videos and more creative methods too, they help some people. Good luck with your exams and try not to stress too much :smile:
Well first of all everyone should find their own revision style that suits them as not everyone will learn in the same way. I find it depends on the subject but here's what I did, hope this helps...

Biology/Chemistry/Physics/Astronomy/Human Health and Physiology: I used both the CGP revision guides and workbooks as well as the exam board endorsed guides. I made notes from each page and did lots of questions and past papers. I liked mind map style revision too.

Geography: used the AQA revision guide and CGP one too. Made case study flashcards and did past papers. Also used revision worksheet packs my teacher gave us.

History/RE: My teachers gave us revision notes which I went away and learned by writing it out again, summarising and doing past paper questions.

English lang and lit: I'm not gonna lie I didn't really revise, I hated it and refused to do much work. Sort of read the notes for the books we studied and did past papers in class but did little prep outside school. I'd recommend trying harder than I did.

Health and social: I did nothing outside of school, basically did this because I ran out of options I wanted to take, it was the best of what was left to choose. My class prep was enough.

Hope this helps, remember to use past papers and ask your teachers if you don't understand something. Hope you find a revision style that works, try using youtube videos and more creative methods too, they help some people. Good luck with your exams and try not to stress too much :smile:

Wow thanks for your advice. I'm not stressing at all whichis weird and do you think that's normal? I think when I revise really hard and then try a past paper I can get an A or above. How many hours did you revise during Easter and when did you start revising? Thanks
Wow thanks for your advice. I'm not stressing at all whichis weird and do you think that's normal? I think when I revise really hard and then try a past paper I can get an A or above. How many hours did you revise during Easter and when did you start revising? Thanks

It is great you aren't stressing, it means that you are coping with the workload. Sometimes stressing doesn't help so try and remain this calm lol. It sounds like you know what you're doing and stuff so just keep it up. I did my GCSEs over 3 years as I did some early and some of mine were the old modular courses so to be honest I can't really remember. I'd say I started revising for an exam between 4 and 8 weeks before the exam, depending on other commitments and how many exams I was sitting at that time. I can't remember revising over Easter for GCSE but why not I suppose, may as well get ahead of the game (I am attempting to start my A2 revision this week aha). Just make sure you prioritise revising your weak topics. Good luck!
It is great you aren't stressing, it means that you are coping with the workload. Sometimes stressing doesn't help so try and remain this calm lol. It sounds like you know what you're doing and stuff so just keep it up. I did my GCSEs over 3 years as I did some early and some of mine were the old modular courses so to be honest I can't really remember. I'd say I started revising for an exam between 4 and 8 weeks before the exam, depending on other commitments and how many exams I was sitting at that time. I can't remember revising over Easter for GCSE but why not I suppose, may as well get ahead of the game (I am attempting to start my A2 revision this week aha). Just make sure you prioritise revising your weak topics. Good luck!

Really? Thanks :smile:
Same i also did two of my exams earlier and because i did them earlier , i kinda know what it feels like :smile: Plus i got a good grades in them , well they weren't surprising because they were what i was expecting. :smile: Good luck to you too for your A2 :smile:
Really? Thanks :smile:
Same i also did two of my exams earlier and because i did them earlier , i kinda know what it feels like :smile: Plus i got a good grades in them , well they weren't surprising because they were what i was expecting. :smile: Good luck to you too for your A2 :smile:

Sounds good, hopefully that'll help you this time round then too. Thank you :smile:

Hey that was good advice man, how long do you think it took you to finish notes for history? and what grade did you get in it?
Original post by Username3097486
Hey that was good advice man, how long do you think it took you to finish notes for history? and what grade did you get in it?

Thank you :smile: I did GCSE History over 1 year back when I was in year 10, sitting Unit 1 in January and Unit 2 in June which meant I had loads of time to revise as it was pretty much my only exam at the time. I got an A :smile: I'd say it took me 4-5 weeks to write up my notes revising for about an hour, maybe 3-4 times a week (little and often, paced.) This is a very rough guess but I'd say just take as long as you feel you need, I took my unit 1 exam pretty seriously so I did a fair bit of work for it, I took unit 2 a bit less seriously as I had more exams around that time and they were kind of more important subjects to me. Just try your best and focus on your weakest topics, best of luck! Hope this helps you :smile:
Thank you :smile: I did GCSE History over 1 year back when I was in year 10, sitting Unit 1 in January and Unit 2 in June which meant I had loads of time to revise as it was pretty much my only exam at the time. I got an A :smile: I'd say it took me 4-5 weeks to write up my notes revising for about an hour, maybe 3-4 times a week (little and often, paced.) This is a very rough guess but I'd say just take as long as you feel you need, I took my unit 1 exam pretty seriously so I did a fair bit of work for it, I took unit 2 a bit less seriously as I had more exams around that time and they were kind of more important subjects to me. Just try your best and focus on your weakest topics, best of luck! Hope this helps you :smile:

Damn...i've made a few cards but i still havent started unit 2. My unit 1 and unit 2 exams are in june! :frown:
what do you think about revising an exam/subject a day this easter? e.g priotizing weaker subjects first (history, further maths, physics)
anyway thanks again for your advice!
Damn...i've made a few cards but i still havent started unit 2. My unit 1 and unit 2 exams are in june! :frown:
what do you think about revising an exam/subject a day this easter? e.g priotizing weaker subjects first (history, further maths, physics)
anyway thanks again for your advice!

First of all don't worry, if you've started your unit 1 revision you are on track. Like I say I did my history pretty much as a single qualification so probably spent more time on it than most people and it wasn't anywhere near a strong subject for me. June gives you plenty of time if you use it wisely, I'd definitely prioritise somehow whether it be subjects you have first or ones you really need a specific grade in or you are weaker at. I'd do as much revision as you feel you can, don't over do it and don't sit there for hours in one go, frequent shorter sessions and breaks between are best because you just lose focus if you sit for hours staring at the same topic. If it helps, I'm currently revising for A2 and trying to do 30 minute sessions a few times a day. Good luck and stay calm, I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
how did you revise?

Firstly, I'd just like to say well done for not being stressed haha. I wasn't either when I did mine so it's definitely normal. If anything it helps you recall information better so that's good :smile:

Just as other posters have said, revision is different for everyone. Teachers at my school kept trying to make us draw up revision posters and make really good notes, but I found that personally, I learnt best by reading through my notes without any distractions (ie. no music/YouTube or anything that might possibly distract you). That said, making good notes is really important and use as many colours as you can (my notes look like rainbows)

For physics, I found that once you know the material and do a few past papers, it's a waste of time to slave over any more. Instead, I'd recommend looking through them and highlight any questions you aren't sure about, then just flip to the markscheme and learn the answers. (Physics is weird like that) For Chem/bio, I'd say just make sure you understand the concepts rather than purely memorising facts.

History I'd recommend you to selectively revise, since it's pretty impossible to learn everything on the syllabus. Our teacher gave us the predicted key questions and got it right :smile: , so definitely see if your school keeps track of past exam trends.

My school did a mixture of Christianity and Buddhism for RS, and I'd say don't even bother learning anything from the textbook for Christianity. Memorise a few quotes for each topic (the broader the better, since you can reuse them across questions), and also the key terms.Maths and Additional maths was just a matter of cramming for me, but I generally have a decent grasp of it so it wasn't too difficult.

For I GCSE maths, if there's a small topic you can't understand, just skip it, since it isn't really worth it. Focus your time on sections you can perfect instead.

English Language and Literature I didn't actually do any revision for, except learning key literary terms. Since there are passage questions for lit, it's more important to know the book generally.

Spanish and Music were again really just last-minute cramming, but for languages generally, I'd say learn a few general idioms that you can use in the writing paper to wow the examiner.

Best of luck and just remember to stay calm :smile:
Original post by c0c0nuts
Firstly, I'd just like to say well done for not being stressed haha. I wasn't either when I did mine so it's definitely normal. If anything it helps you recall information better so that's good :smile:

Just as other posters have said, revision is different for everyone. Teachers at my school kept trying to make us draw up revision posters and make really good notes, but I found that personally, I learnt best by reading through my notes without any distractions (ie. no music/YouTube or anything that might possibly distract you). That said, making good notes is really important and use as many colours as you can (my notes look like rainbows)

For physics, I found that once you know the material and do a few past papers, it's a waste of time to slave over any more. Instead, I'd recommend looking through them and highlight any questions you aren't sure about, then just flip to the markscheme and learn the answers. (Physics is weird like that) For Chem/bio, I'd say just make sure you understand the concepts rather than purely memorising facts.

History I'd recommend you to selectively revise, since it's pretty impossible to learn everything on the syllabus. Our teacher gave us the predicted key questions and got it right :smile: , so definitely see if your school keeps track of past exam trends.

My school did a mixture of Christianity and Buddhism for RS, and I'd say don't even bother learning anything from the textbook for Christianity. Memorise a few quotes for each topic (the broader the better, since you can reuse them across questions), and also the key terms.Maths and Additional maths was just a matter of cramming for me, but I generally have a decent grasp of it so it wasn't too difficult.

For I GCSE maths, if there's a small topic you can't understand, just skip it, since it isn't really worth it. Focus your time on sections you can perfect instead.

English Language and Literature I didn't actually do any revision for, except learning key literary terms. Since there are passage questions for lit, it's more important to know the book generally.

Spanish and Music were again really just last-minute cramming, but for languages generally, I'd say learn a few general idioms that you can use in the writing paper to wow the examiner.

WOW THANK you so much for all this advice! :smile: When did you start doing past papers and also how much did you revise for during the easter?

Hey can you expand on "selectively" revising for history, im not quite sure what you mean :smile:
WOW THANK you so much for all this advice! :smile: When did you start doing past papers and also how much did you revise for during the easter?

No problem :smile:

Don't hate me but I didn't really do all that much during Easter... I planned on doing loads but didn't actually get around to it. Thing is I tend to pay close attention in class so it goes into my head more, which saves me revision time :smile:

As for past papers it depended on the subject. For humanities and English I pretty much started Dec in year 10, but I don't think I started science past papers until after mocks.
No problem :smile:

Don't hate me but I didn't really do all that much during Easter... I planned on doing loads but didn't actually get around to it. Thing is I tend to pay close attention in class so it goes into my head more, which saves me revision time :smile:

As for past papers it depended on the subject. For humanities and English I pretty much started Dec in year 10, but I don't think I started science past papers until after mocks.

:smile: Lol i won't hate you :smile: Yup i agree with you :smile: WOW You started in year 10 :smile: great x
Hey can you expand on "selectively" revising for history, im not quite sure what you mean :smile:

I think it really depends on the exam board. My school does CIE IGCSE, which through experience, the school knew they always set 2 questions for each half of the topics we do for Paper 1.

We did the Cold War for our elective, which was divided into 4/5 sub-questions. The school already decided not to teach us the last part, which was the Gulf War, and I also decided not to revise for Gorbachev.

It's essentially a game of chance and probability. My year was particularly my because international relations had 3 topics and we knew one was going to be in paper 2, so by default, the other 2 had to be in paper 1. So for my year, revising for the Cold War was actually optional hahah (some people actually only revised international relations because they were so sure both questions would come up).

The thing is if you selectively revise, it shouldn't be because you can't be bothered to learn the other stuff, but rather so you'll be able to learn the topics you do decide to learn in much greater detail. Remember in GCSEs it's the relevant supporting details that get you the marks.
:smile: Lol i won't hate you :smile: Yup i agree with you :smile: WOW You started in year 10 :smile: great x

Saying I started in year 10 made me sound really hard-working haha. What I should have said is that those were often set by my teachers, who would pick relevant questions for the topics we covered, which is much easier to do in humanities compared to sciences. So for example in history, we might get set a paper 1 questions for prep, which (I think) is 40 mins, equivalent to half of the actual paper
How did you revise?!

Much appreciated x

I didn't.

Quick Reply

Latest