The Student Room Group

How do I go about moving to America?

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm getting rather muddled with all these forms and procedures that are involved in the American migration process. I'm currently 18, have finished 6th form with mediocre results, have a small amount of money in savings and have for a long time now had the ambition to move to the US.

I wanted to ask anyone who may have experience or knowledge on the subject, what is the most effective way of proceeding to achieve my goal.

I should also note that I may well be attending university in England before making any plans.

My thinking was the earlier I start to plan for this the better.

Thanks for any feed back, and sorry if this has been posted before I could find anything that addressed my question :smile:
Whats your passport? Do you have ant links with America?
You cant juts move there without the correct visa. If you have a job offer then that may make it easier.

https://www.workingabroad.net/country-profiles/america/visa-guide/
Reply 2
When the Donald is elected into office, good luck.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Whats your passport? Do you have ant links with America?
You cant juts move there without the correct visa. If you have a job offer then that may make it easier.

https://www.workingabroad.net/country-profiles/america/visa-guide/

British passport and no links.

Also from what I've heard getting a job there is very very difficult. Due to the commitment of hiring someone abroad the company would really only be looking for the best of the best, and even then its unlikely.
Find an American to marry or work your socks off at university with something useful like chemistry. If you can afford it go to university in the US; undergrad doesn't matter as much but if you can get into a phd program getting a job after won't be as difficult.

Have you ever even visited the US? I mean Florida is pretty different to Utah.
Well when I go to uni, I am taking a year gap to travel abroad to America to work for a company...bascially an internship. I might be doing iy short for like 3/4 months or a whole year. I am thinking that might increase my chances of living there but idk?
Original post by Trapz99
When the Donald is elected into office, good luck.

As long as you are not Mexican should be all good
visas are the main thing that will dictate this:

You can go on a family visa if you get married to an American Citizen
You can go on a business visa if you bring $500,000 or $1m to the economy (depending on type of area)
You can go on an employers' visa if you are hired by an american company.

Then there are a few other types of visas for things like trafficking victims, the "lottery" visa, asylum seekers, iraqis who assisted the US, etc.

As an 18 year old, unless you have considerable wealth to begin with, your best chance of moving to America is by an employment visa. America is a big place, with lots of different cultures and areas. Think about where you want to be living and what kind of community you want to live in.

It sounds like you have the rose-tinted idea of "moving to america", before actually properly weighing up and planning the best routes.

American lifestyles offer lives from corporate zombies, tech startups, all the way to off-grid survivalists and everything inbetween. No matter what you choose, you can be pretty sure that 99% of them will be different to your expectations.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest