The Student Room Group

Most likely outcome: 4 years of Uni and a 2:2 degree... Help!

Brief backstory - Just finishing my final year of university studying sports science & coaching after failing a year. Most likely outcome is that I'm going to leave Uni with a 2:2.

Aims: Become a PE teacher in some way shape of form.

My problem is that I'm really unsure of how to go about this. Obviously first choice was to apply for a PGCE but I missed the majority of deadlines for places for the year coming so kind of shot myself in the foot. Couple that with the fact that I've received loans for all 4 of my years so am unsure if I'd even get funding :/.
I've also looked briefly into teach first and schools direct but neither of them are very helpful seen as I'm not eligible to be salaried. This only leaves the non-salaried teach first/schools direct avenue but without the aid of a loan, how could I possibly afford to live?

I'm unsure if I'm wrong anywhere or if there's a logical solution to this, or even an alternative route that I'm missing but that's why I turned to here.
Any help would be appreciated
Original post by BW1993
Brief backstory - Just finishing my final year of university studying sports science & coaching after failing a year. Most likely outcome is that I'm going to leave Uni with a 2:2.

Aims: Become a PE teacher in some way shape of form.

My problem is that I'm really unsure of how to go about this. Obviously first choice was to apply for a PGCE but I missed the majority of deadlines for places for the year coming so kind of shot myself in the foot. Couple that with the fact that I've received loans for all 4 of my years so am unsure if I'd even get funding :/.
I've also looked briefly into teach first and schools direct but neither of them are very helpful seen as I'm not eligible to be salaried. This only leaves the non-salaried teach first/schools direct avenue but without the aid of a loan, how could I possibly afford to live?

I'm unsure if I'm wrong anywhere or if there's a logical solution to this, or even an alternative route that I'm missing but that's why I turned to here.
Any help would be appreciated

Teaching is an exception to the funding rule- the standard student finance package available to undergrads is also available for PGCE & non salaried school direct students. Some PGCEers work as a teaching assistant before embarking on a PGCE- might be something you could look into, or just gaining more informal school experience before you start your PGCE.
Some Universities will still be accepting applications for PGCE's still for 2016 entry. May be worth looking at it.

PGCE entry requirements start from a 3rd upwards, dependant on the University. Many will still accept a 2.2.

You get funded for a PGCE/Schools direct anyway through the student loan system if you are not salaried. Your undergraduate loan does not come into this. (i did 4 years also and am applying next year for 2017)
Teach first is a 2.1 or above I believe - and a bit more competitive.

If you decide to wait until 2017 entry as its quite late in applications now, you could also consider doing jobs that involve young people to gain that essential work experience required to enter a PGCE course.

Maybe look at TA work to get some time in a school or something to do with coaching football or similar sports?
Goals the franchise offer some great roles where you spend your evenings/weekends teaching kids around the pitch!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending