The Student Room Group

AS-Level...How to identify gaps in my knowledge?

Maths/FM is fairly easy due to the vast amount of resources....but with regards to Computer Science and Physics... . New A-level specs and all *cries*.... How would I go about identifying gaps in my knowledge? Not a lot of past papers so i dont want to burn through those... Likeasomeboady help me pls :smile:
Original post by Someboady
Maths/FM is fairly easy due to the vast amount of resources....but with regards to Computer Science and Physics... . New A-level specs and all *cries*.... How would I go about identifying gaps in my knowledge? Not a lot of past papers so i dont want to burn through those... Likeasomeboady help me pls :smile:

go through a textbook and do summary questions then what you can't answer/ get wrong revise that
Reply 2
Original post by thefatone
go through a textbook and do summary questions then what you can't answer/ get wrong revise that

Err... computer science textbooks are generally absolutely crap and the questions have never have the markscheme so i dont really bother with those... but I'll definitely go through the ones I can't do :/ any other suggestions?
Err... computer science textbooks are generally absolutely crap and the questions have never have the markscheme so i dont really bother with those... but I'll definitely go through the ones I can't do :/ any other suggestions?

i dunno... not really anything else i can think of.... past papers.. revision guide questions?
Reply 4
Original post by thefatone
i dunno... not really anything else i can think of.... past papers.. revision guide questions?

You've crushed my heart dude... im doomed.. RIP someboaaaaady.
You've crushed my heart dude... im doomed.. RIP someboaaaaady.

i'm so sorry >.< :console:
Reply 6

PAST PAPERS! PAST PAPERS! PAST PAPERS!

Easiest way to see gap in your knowledge is past papers. Once your review your paper, you'll know what you need to revise and what you're missing from your current knowledge. Just remember you could also forget what you've learnt because that's just how the human is and may need to learn some things on top. So keep on top of doing past papers.
As already mentioned, revision guides.
The new edition tailored for the new spec has been released by CGP, so you could try those.

In regards to Computer Science, i'm not the most informed so I can't help much there, but with physics, there isn't actually too much that has changed in the syllabus.

They've taken out a few things, added a few things, but on the whole, most stuff is the same.

If you want questions, I'd suggest the website 'Isaac Physics'. They've got a good 400+ question spread across AS and A2.
Revision guide questions, which do provide answers (CGP, Heineman) or the offical textbook which contain summary and exam-style questions or past paper.

Putting aside any specimen papers that there may be, I would still strongly encourage you to just do a normal past paper, leaving out the stuff that isn't in the syllabus this year and then just search for questions online relating to the additional content for the new syllabus, if you don't want to use Isaac Physics or revision guides/text books.
(edited 8 years ago)
eugh, I do Computer Science. Yea, the subject is hard to tell if youre good at because they can throw literally any question at you.

I use this site, http://freeexampapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=101&jsmallfib=1&dir=JSROOT/A-Level/Computing
it has past papers dating back to 2002.

The new AS is literally the same as the old spec so the past papers from the old spec will still be relevant. However some stuff from A2 is now in AS so I would just go through the new syllabus and pick out the A2 content and do the old A2 exam for Comp sci but only doing those questions.

If you do AQA, I have some past papers that our school prepared.

Good Luck!
Past papers, text book questions, topic tests etc etc. Also quite often you should know if you are weak at something (e.g. you might do ok in a test but feel as if you are kind of winging it, which is a sign that you don't really understand that topic)

Quick Reply

Latest