The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Which is the most suitable accommodation hall at Warwick?

Hi, I'll probably will be studying at Warwick in 2016 and I am very confused on which accommodation hall is the best for me?

I would like a hall that is sociable and caring as a community. Lots of events on-going and a good place to find good friends. Can anyone give me suggestions and advice?

Many thanks.

Scroll to see replies

The dynamic across accommodation blocks differs each year, so nothing is 100% set in stone.

Also, Warwick Accommodation cycles certain halls in and out of fresher rotation.

That said, some things are constant:

- Bluebell is generally less sociable, seems to have the most people complaining about the lack of community (though it is not without exceptions)
- Rootes is generally the most sociable, closest to being called the "party accommodation"
- Whitefields is quite close-knit on account of the intimacy of the teeny tiny hut environments
- Westwood is quite insular on account of its remoteness from the main campus
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Greatleysteg
The dynamic across accommodation blocks differs each year, so nothing is 100% set in stone.

Also, Warwick Accommodation cycles certain halls in and out of fresher rotation.

That said, some things are constant:

- Bluebell is generally less sociable, seems to have the most people complaining about the lack of community (though it is not without exceptions)
- Rootes is generally the most sociable, closest to being called the "party accommodation"
- Whitefields is quite close-knit on account of the intimacy of the teeny tiny hut environments
- Westwood is quite insular on account of its remoteness from the main campus

What about Jack Martin or Arthur Vick? I wanted an en-suite room, well im not too fussed if I have a shared bathroom.

Also is Cryfield good? I heard that it has a good community feel and everyone who lives on the same flat becomes friends very well. Is that True?
Original post by Student6000
What about Jack Martin or Arthur Vick? I wanted an en-suite room, well im not too fussed if I have a shared bathroom.

Also is Cryfield good? I heard that it has a good community feel and everyone who lives on the same flat becomes friends very well. Is that True?

There aren't really any generalisations that can be made about those accommodation blocks. I've known groups of firms friends from Cryfield but also people who really didn't get along and had a miserable time of it.

Ultimately, you should just choose the accommodation that appeals most based on facts, such as the size/quality of rooms, proximity to places of particular interest to you, length of let, etc...

It's worth noting that Cryfield rooms are super-small and the walls are paper-thin. Hear-people-two-rooms-away thin.

AV and JM are (among, at least) the most over-subscribed halls.
Reply 4
I'd just add that I was completely the same and went with Sherbourne over AV because I wanted to guarantee my chances of an ensuite. Sherbourne is really sociable and everyone in my block is very close and we go out about 4 times a week. There's always someone to go out with really and it's also quiet due to the soundproofed walls. Unfortunately, Sherbourne hasn't really got a reputation built up yet because it's the newest halls but I'd honestly say it's the en suite rootes
I liked Tocil but all my flatmates were Chinese internationals. Warwick Chinese students often have a reputation as being insular but I got on great with the ones I lived with. Got to try a lot of really nice Chinese cooking! :biggrin:

The rooms aren't a bad size (I had room for my ice hockey equipment) and I had no problems with sharing bathrooms.
Reply 6
Currently live in Westwood and absolutely love it! The distance is massively exaggerated, can get to central campus in under 10 minutes easily and to the maths and stats building in under 5. It's a nice walk! Willing to answer any q's you have
Original post by kys5
Currently live in Westwood and absolutely love it! The distance is massively exaggerated, can get to central campus in under 10 minutes easily and to the maths and stats building in under 5. It's a nice walk! Willing to answer any q's you have

are the people at westwood outgoing / sociable? :smile:

also how are the kitchens? thanks!!!!!
Reply 8
Yes they're very sociable! Bottom floor has one small and one medium size kitchen but they have a dining room and common room.

Second and third floors have large kitchens. They're all quite nice.

Truth is no matter where you end up 99% of the time you'll love it. Westwood wasn't my first choice and i wasnt happy at first but now I'm going to be so upset when we have to move out second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a Muslim girl who will be moving to Warwick to study English Literature in semptember 2016.

I know that Warwick do not have single sex flats, (not very clear on the website) but was hoping for some advice on which campus to apply for.

I do not wish to apply for Bluebell and the likes of that as it is quite expensive. So I was wondering are there any Muslim students (mainly female) living in Warwick. If so, which campus would you recommend me that has the least amount of boys in it (lol!)
Original post by warwickacchelp
I am a Muslim girl who will be moving to Warwick to study English Literature in semptember 2016.

I know that Warwick do not have single sex flats, (not very clear on the website) but was hoping for some advice on which campus to apply for.

I do not wish to apply for Bluebell and the likes of that as it is quite expensive. So I was wondering are there any Muslim students (mainly female) living in Warwick. If so, which campus would you recommend me that has the least amount of boys in it (lol!)

I'm not muslim but I have some muslim friends who lived in single sex flats in Tocil. Not all the girls who lived with them were muslim. I know Warwick will generally honour it if you do want to live in single sex flat. All the other accomodations seem to have a pretty even split of males and females though.
Original post by Age
I'd just add that I was completely the same and went with Sherbourne over AV because I wanted to guarantee my chances of an ensuite. Sherbourne is really sociable and everyone in my block is very close and we go out about 4 times a week. There's always someone to go out with really and it's also quiet due to the soundproofed walls. Unfortunately, Sherbourne hasn't really got a reputation built up yet because it's the newest halls but I'd honestly say it's the en suite rootes

Hello! Sherbourne is my top choice for halls, I was wondering, based on your experience and people you know, how likely I am to get Sherbourne if I put it as my first preference?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :smile:
Bluebell - I love it here
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Bluebell - I love it here

Clearly it is because Milos is the worlds best DJ :wink:
Any other reviews on Tocil? Is it true boys live on one floor, girls live on a different floor, and then shared kitchens and bathrooms between all?

Is it generally a sociable accommodation? Was it just you that were placed with internationals or are there generally lots of internationals in Tocil?
I'm a sociable guy, but do value sleep, and would like to try and get a first in engineering.

Thanks
@Sabertooth
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Any other reviews on Tocil? Is it true boys live on one floor, girls live on a different floor, and then shared kitchens and bathrooms between all?

Is it generally a sociable accommodation? Was it just you that were placed with internationals or are there generally lots of internationals in Tocil?
I'm a sociable guy, but do value sleep, and would like to try and get a first in engineering.

Thanks
@Sabertooth

I stayed in Tocil for all 3 years. The first year I got put with English students, most of whom were ***holes, they'd steal food and weren't at all friendly. The next two years I was in a mixed flat with mostly Chinese students, both years they were so friendly, we'd cook together, go to the gym, one of them was even on the ice hockey team with me so I would say it's pretty sociable but that does depend who you get. There's 3 toilets per flat and one kitchen, you don't share these with other flats just the people in your flat. In mine 2 of the toilets had showers and one had a bathtub.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by Student6000
Hi, I'll probably will be studying at Warwick in 2016 and I am very confused on which accommodation hall is the best for me?

I would like a hall that is sociable and caring as a community. Lots of events on-going and a good place to find good friends. Can anyone give me suggestions and advice?

Many thanks.

Bluebell- Bluebell resident life team put on a variety of events- including a black tie ball! This is the only hall to do this too!
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Clearly it is because Milos is the worlds best DJ :wink:

He is a top DJ hahaha I agree :wink:
Original post by Sabertooth
I stayed in Tocil for all 3 years. The first year I got put with English students, most of whom were ***holes, they'd steal food and weren't at all friendly. The next two years I was in a mixed flat with mostly Chinese students, both years they were so friendly, we'd cook together, go to the gym, one of them was even on the ice hockey team with me so I would say it's pretty sociable but that does depend who you get. There's 3 toilets per flat and one kitchen, you don't share these with other flats just the people in your flat. In mine 2 of the toilets had showers and one had a bathtub.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks!

Eugh hope I don't get put with people like your first year. Would you recommend applying, do you just think it's luck of draw you will get/what kind of people? I would rather be in worse accommodation with nicer people tbh :smile:

I really wanna be with people from all backgrounds/countries (part of the uni experience) but heard the Asians can group together, and are a mess in the kitchen.
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Thanks!

Eugh hope I don't get put with people like your first year. Would you recommend applying, do you just think it's luck of draw you will get/what kind of people? I would rather be in worse accommodation with nicer people tbh :smile:

I really wanna be with people from all backgrounds/countries (part of the uni experience) but heard the Asians can group together, and are a mess in the kitchen.

I think a lot of who you get is luck. I wouldn't say Tocil is "worse accommodation"; it's one of the cheapest and the rooms are an ok size. The toilets are cleaned every weekday and I never encountered any problems with sharing.

Yeah, there is a bit of a reputation for Chinese in particular to be insular. When I originally met my 2nd year flatmates at first I felt really disappointed but I was friendly to them and they returned that friendliness. I'd go in the kitchen when they were cooking and ask them about it - basically just expressed interest in their culture and before I knew it I was sitting at the table with them and a bunch of other Chinese students a few times a month eating the best food I've ever had.

The only real mess in the kitchen was the 6 rice cookers on the counter. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest