The Student Room Group

Have I left my revison to late?

Hello, I'm scared I've left my revison to late to achieve AAA at AS Level.
I take RS, Classical Civilisation and ICT
All count for half of my A2 grade. Although I can repeat these exams in November. I really want to nail them and achieve high As in all 3.
My first exam is May 17th and I've only started revison yesterday. So is a month and half of revison enough to achieve these grades?
If so...
How many hours a day do you suggest?
Best ways to revise?

Thank you

P.S.

My ICT is worth 60% exam wise. As I have already achieved 100% in my 40% worth of coursework!
A month and a half is alot of time, if you use it wisely. My revision is slowly increasing, and when the easter holiday hits - it's just past papers for me. So no, why would it be late?

I don't do any similar subjects to you but I do past papers, seems to work well with mathy subjects. As for the time limit, It all depends on the person, I just revise until I understand the content or it's engraved in my brain etc. but I usually spend 3ish hours..but thats me.

Good Luck!
Original post by Aaron2515
All count for half of my A2 grade. Although I can repeat these exams in November. I really want to nail them and achieve high As in all 3.
My first exam is May 17th and I've only started revison yesterday. So is a month and half of revison enough to achieve these grades?
If so...
Best ways to revise?

Thank you

P.S.

My ICT is worth 60% exam wise. As I have already achieved 100% in my 40% worth of coursework!

No, you've got plenty of time to revise, especially for the subjects your doing. RS and Classics are subjects that require a lot of knowledge to be remebered off by heart and your likely to have the basics remembered.

I'd reccomend about 4 hours a day and then during study leave just build up on that time. I'd also recommend your organise your notes and put them in line with the specification, read through them and concentrate on past pasters, exam technique, structure and read the examiners reports.
Right now is still a great time to revise if you revise effectively. Quality over quantity is definitely important when it comes to revision.
Original post by Aaron2515
If so...
Best ways to revise?

Thank you

P.S.

Hi Aaron2515,

A month and a half is a very decent amount of time! It's not so much how long you have to revise though, its how effectively you revise.

It may well be great re-writing all your notes, but in reality, revision is a two-fold process: memorising and exam technique.

I focused more on the former, and did not practice a great deal on how to write a decent answer to an essay question. This might not be the case for ICT, but Classical Civilisation and Religious Studies it probably will be more worthwhile!

Remember not to just read, mix it up a bit. Visual, auditory and kinaesthetic (especially this one) are all great ways to revise, and of course, past papers and mark schemes.

You might also like to consider examiner's reports. These can be very useful for highlighting areas students did good and, in some cases, where they didn't do so good. Often they contain good case studies, help and advice, as well as areas examiners might want to see more responses from.

Again, exam technique I think is very crucial for the good grades, and in my case, was my biggest downfall for some of my subjects (although I did get ABBB, so I was quite surprised!)

In terms of hours, I would recommend at least 2 hours a day, depending on how much time you have available, coursework, length of day etc. Make sure to have days off too, but not get too carried away! I found revising in 20 minute bursts, with 10 minute breaks effective. I have Dyslexia, so I cant take as much information in as other people or yourself, so you could probably extend this.

In reality, I think when it comes to revision - less is more. Break down all your notes, summarise the main information, and if you have time, review over the nitty-gritty stuff. More is learnt at the end of the day.

This is why past-papers are quite useful. Has the exam board taken preference to a particular type of question or topic? You can, in some cases, even predict the kinds of questions that will crop up based on how often they have featured in previous exams.

Positivity and motivation is key: learn not to frown or become upset over your failures or, in the worst scenario, bad grades in the exam. Take it in your stride, and learn from your failures. If there was anything I could ever say about getting Bs, is that it just encourages you to get that A even more!

Sorry for the lengthy reply, I hope it is off some use to you. Go get those As!

Good Luck!
Reply 5
Firstly, I would recommend you to stay calm. There is enough time to get everything done, given that you revise.

Secondly, I would recommend you to organize revision times, and relax times. Eat well, sleep enough, and study by chunks. That means study for one period, e.g. 30 minutes, or 40 minutes... as long as you can concentrate, then take like 5-10 minutes break. Sleeping and eating is very important. Eat food that will boost your mental performance. I can really feel when I am at peak state and what I am drained out.

Now comes the hard part... I spent last year worrying about not doing enough revision than actually revising. It then got worse into procrastinating and all that awful stuff!

Discipline is key. If you feel resistance in doing revision, e.g. for some reason you don't feel like it or you have this story made up in your mind that the task is too hard and overwhelming... think to yourself, you don't have to do everything. Don't aim to be perfect, trick your mind and think you only have to study a little bit e.g. 5 minutes. That will ease down your resistance. Your subconscious mind wants instant gratification. So it wants to get distracted. You just got to trick that monster.

Well good luck.. I know it's off topic talking about discipline etc... but I hope it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest