The Student Room Group

What's wrong with me? Please help me, I can't take it anymore

Since last year something has happened to me. I'm not enthusiastic about anymore, I feel so numb and am always just sat around really quiet. I used to do things and enjoy life and the coming of friends and family. Now I just can't, there's no excitement left.

I go sleep either really upset or sad, or just staring at the roof with no emotion. I feel like a robot, like I'm dead inside and it's frustrating.

I'm always negative, I can see the positive in anything, I even got my degree and felt no joy, it's like I'm not human anymore, just always miserable.

It's affecting my relationships, I no longer speak to friends, and the quality time I spent with family is no longer the same. (As an Asian my family have always been important). But I feel myself drifting away.

I no longer engage with girls properly, I get interest and messages from them. But I don't reply back, or talk properly. Then I'm all alone again, it's a vicious cycle.

I normally hide behind making jokes in front of people and acting happy, but I'm so miserable and I wish I could become my old self. It's affecting body too, it's getting worse the longer this goes on.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why did you start feeling like this? What happened? Have you spoken to someone in real life about how you feel? You know a professional?
You sound like you could be suffering from depression or starting to at least. If I were you I'd maybe book an appointment at your doctors, you don't think they will help but they can offer some great advice before you spiral even further.
Reply 3
Original post by Alfed
Why did you start feeling like this? What happened? Have you spoken to someone in real life about how you feel? You know a professional?

Last year, I'd say after I lost my nan (if I were to try and link it to anything major that happened in my life)
Reply 4
Original post by bethwalker85
You sound like you could be suffering from depression or starting to at least. If I were you I'd maybe book an appointment at your doctors, you don't think they will help but they can offer some great advice before you spiral even further.

I saw a gp, and was told I have depression, but I refused to take meds.

I've stopped expressing how I feel to family too, I could feel my mum getting annoyed at it and my dad just told me to "man the **** up" about my depression
Reply 5
OP i feel for you having felt like that in the past, it helps to talk to someone. you can pm me in confidence if you like :smile:

you might think this is irrelevant but what religion are you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mkap
OP i feel for you having felt like that in the past, it helps to talk to someone. you can pm me in confidence if you like :smile:

you might think this is irrelevant but what religion are you :smile:

I was agnostic for a long time, but trying to get back into Islam. I'm finding it very difficult though, I can't seem to find the faith
Original post by Anonymous
Since last year something has happened to me. I'm not enthusiastic about anymore, I feel so numb and am always just sat around really quiet. I used to do things and enjoy life and the coming of friends and family. Now I just can't, there's no excitement left.

I go sleep either really upset or sad, or just staring at the roof with no emotion. I feel like a robot, like I'm dead inside and it's frustrating.

I'm always negative, I can see the positive in anything, I even got my degree and felt no joy, it's like I'm not human anymore, just always miserable.

It's affecting my relationships, I no longer speak to friends, and the quality time I spent with family is no longer the same. (As an Asian my family have always been important). But I feel myself drifting away.

I no longer engage with girls properly, I get interest and messages from them. But I don't reply back, or talk properly. Then I'm all alone again, it's a vicious cycle.

I normally hide behind making jokes in front of people and acting happy, but I'm so miserable and I wish I could become my old self. It's affecting body too, it's getting worse the longer this goes on.

namaste/salam/nihaou/moshi (no idea what asian so used assorted greeting). If you want a chat, feel free to PM me (the symptoms your exhibiting do suggest yo may be experiencing depression and remarkably sound similar to what I have experienced)
I was agnostic for a long time, but trying to get back into Islam. I'm finding it very difficult though, I can't seem to find the faith

[video="youtube;QrOXQ2ycU50"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrOXQ2ycU50[/video]
You need to find purpose in life

Psychological counselling or get a life brooo! Asian parents seem to want to preserve the honour in their families & the reputation of the communities 😂😁

i wasn't practising when i got depression and i was going through some stuff that i couldn't escape and get out of so i realised i needed to start praying and stuff. it was Ramadan so i started praying five times a day, reading quran (i always used to start crying when i used to read Quran) and i just used to hold my hands together and pray so much for things to get better and they did. literlly everything went away what i was feeling and i felt such peace in my heart, that feeling comes everytime i pray and read quran.

watch these :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9j0HIsOSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iPtaQz1ItA
Reply 12
Please seek some help. Maybe ask for counselling, as your parents aren't exactly ehhh supportive, which is a huge shame.
What I would do is to start a gratitude book. Everyday write a few things that make you happy.
I was feeling depressed and unhappy like we all feel, but the book forces you to focus on the positives.

Don't worry life gets better, just make sure you're there to see it.
When it comes to things like this OP, you'll find more sympathisers over the internet than in real life.
Original post by Someboady
You need to find purpose in life

But how? I did have purpose, now there's no motivation

Original post by fudgecake22
Psychological counselling or get a life brooo! Asian parents seem to want to preserve the honour in their families & the reputation of the communities 😂😁

Lmao it's hard to have a life when you don't feel like doing anything anymore 😕

Original post by BEAN!
Please seek some help. Maybe ask for counselling, as your parents aren't exactly ehhh supportive, which is a huge shame.
What I would do is to start a gratitude book. Everyday write a few things that make you happy.
I was feeling depressed and unhappy like we all feel, but the book forces you to focus on the positives.

Don't worry life gets better, just make sure you're there to see it.

Hmm I guess I can give that a try, it's just everything I try seems useless. I'd try to get counselling but maybe once I can drive, so I don't have to tell my parents about it
Original post by FluffyCherry
[video="youtube;QrOXQ2ycU50"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrOXQ2ycU50[/video]

i wasn't practising when i got depression and i was going through some stuff that i couldn't escape and get out of so i realised i needed to start praying and stuff. it was Ramadan so i started praying five times a day, reading quran (i always used to start crying when i used to read Quran) and i just used to hold my hands together and pray so much for things to get better and they did. literlly everything went away what i was feeling and i felt such peace in my heart, that feeling comes everytime i pray and read quran.

watch these :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9j0HIsOSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iPtaQz1ItA

Thanks for the vids, will remember to watch them later once I have time
I saw a gp, and was told I have depression, but I refused to take meds.

I've stopped expressing how I feel to family too, I could feel my mum getting annoyed at it and my dad just told me to "man the **** up" about my depression

When family have a dismissive and judgemental attitude it can make things so much worse. I know.

If you are in education I would urge you to seek counselling through your college or uni etc. They can be more accessible than nhs counselling.

Also it can be worrying having to take antidepressants but as a last resort they can take the edge off and improve your day to day functioning. They could be the difference between feeling very desperate or a fair bit less desperate. It's different for everyone but yeah.
Well, there's more to life than just a degree... than this monotonous life you're currently living... You've got to find higher purpose.. what that means is you have to find something that gives life meaning. It can't just be all play and it can't just be all work. Life is about finding balance. Find that balance and then you'll feel better. If you're looking to be happy in this world then you're looking in the wrong place. This world was designed to break your heart. But you need to be spiritually fulfilled and the only way you can do that is by finding higher purpose.
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
When family have a dismissive and judgemental attitude it can make things so much worse. I know.

If you are in education I would urge you to seek counselling through your college or uni etc. They can be more accessible than nhs counselling.

Also it can be worrying having to take antidepressants but as a last resort they can take the edge off and improve your day to day functioning. They could be the difference between feeling very desperate or a fair bit less desperate. It's different for everyone but yeah.

I've finished uni, so I've not got that support anymore. It's just I've seen it have side effects on people and I want to avoid them
Reply 19
But how? I did have purpose, now there's no motivation

Do you have a goal in life or a career you really want to pursue. That's what changed my attitude to life and now I've found something I really want to do, I cannot be more determined to do it.

Other than that, I think maybe talking to people is vital and family should be first to talk to then if you still feel depressed then maybe a doctor or someone like that. Hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply

Latest