The Student Room Group

Anyone struggling with the amount of content for AS-level Biology?

Is anyone else struggling with the amount of content for AS-level Biology? How do you cope with the workload? I'm panicking so much :frown:

Scroll to see replies

yes! its loads the more i think about it the bigger it gets, i have a really bad bio teach, most of the time shes just sitting in front of the computer and ive just realised i actually havn't learnt anything this year!
after a weekend of procrastination, i finally picked up by bio text book and im soo tempted to runaway! why are there soo many definitions!!
ive just started mitosis and meiosis thinking ive done it before, but nothing is going in
I'm in the same boat as you so I know how you feel, what's your exam board? I study AQA. Given the amount of content & memorisation of the information needed for your exams I would really advice you to put some kind of action-plan together? For example, revise one biology topic such as transport across cell membranes on one day, and on the next day revise biodiversity etc. If it's a big topic, like cells, maybe spread that over 2 days and return to it after some time to ensure it stays fresh in your memory?

If you can split all of the content into smaller sized chunks and focus on each chunk individually, you won't feel as overwhelmed I think. It's worked for me, I went from an E to an A/B.

Use flash cards for definitions too! They are so useful.
Reply 3
I'm on AQA, honestly hating it right now. No idea how to revise as my textbook (AQA endorsed, kerboodle) is pretty awful. Do you know any good revision resources online?
i'm doing OCR and it's seriously difficult , it's just the amount of content itself that makes the subject obnoxious......
Yes and I'm doing Salters Nuffield (SNAB) which no other school does (that I know of). Does anyone do it here?
Reply 6
Its far too much, i don't even know how i'm going to get through it all in time for the exams! Does anyones else see it as a lot of memorisation of various methods ect, or am i just revising it in the wrong way? :/
Original post by ouatislifex
Yes and I'm doing Salters Nuffield (SNAB) which no other school does (that I know of). Does anyone do it here?

I'm doing Edexcel's Salters Nuffield! :smile:
I have the endorsed text book but there is just so much to go through!! What ways have you been revising?

Original post by Zara0526
Its far too much, i don't even know how i'm going to get through it all in time for the exams! Does anyones else see it as a lot of memorisation of various methods ect, or am i just revising it in the wrong way? :/

Yeah it is definitely a memory game!! My memory is terrible so I already know I'm not going to get decent grades! I'm still doing past papers with my notes and don't think I will be ready without them by the time the real exams come around!! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
for meiosis think 'PMAT+C' Prophase Metaphase Anaphase Telephase + Cytokinesis
Original post by thinker13
for meiosis think 'PMAT+C' Prophase Metaphase Anaphase Telephase + Cytokinesis

Don't you mean Mitosis?
I always remember it as:

In (Interphase)
Paris (Prophase)
Monkeys (Metaphase)
Are (Anaphase)
Tired (Telophase)

+ Cytokinesis
Original post by Philip-flop
Don't you mean Mitosis?
I always remember it as:

In (Interphase)
Paris (Prophase)
Monkeys (Metaphase)
Are (Anaphase)
Tired (Telophase)

+ Cytokinesis

It is mitosis:smile: I always use::

Please
Make
Another
Two
Cells

But I have to remember to include interphase beforehand:s-smilie:
Reply 11
The books include superfluous information. Best way to revise is go through every Bio past paper in existence and learn the markschemes which'll include the exact terminology you need. By now they'll just be recycling those questions.

(Wait till you get to A2... much content and you have to recall AS stuff. But it is manageable.)
Hey, I do OCR biology too, at AS Level and I agree, the content workload is really heavy!
I think using the spec is so important, so you can sift through and find what you need and what you don't need. Then make revision notes - I write all mine out on lined paper, but you could use cue cards, mind maps, posters, etc. Acronyms are always good! i use PMAT for mitosis :smile:
Past papers are key for seeing what you are weakest in.
I hope that helped a bit, I'm in the same boat though! Good luck everyone, my PMs are open for anybody wanting help on OCR Biology AS/venting about the amount of content!
Reply 13
HAHAHA.....AS. For you sake, I would drop it at A2
Original post by ftsoft
HAHAHA.....AS. For you sake, I would drop it at A2

Why?? :frown: i'm planning to take it onto A2
Reply 15
Original post by mughushed
Why?? :frown: i'm planning to take it onto A2

If your able to handle the content somehow,the do it. My advice is just do past papers and focus on the areas you went wrong. Mark schemes are very important in bio as examiners want certain words to be used in different types of question so it can help so you dont lose :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: marks for not saying the right word
Hi,

I know the AS content seems overwhelming (I presume you're learning the new syllabus? (although, some of my friends from year 12 said its the same content with some additional stuff on it lol)) but I'm sure you'll get through it :smile: (once I got to A2 I found that I was very wrong in complaining about AS XD)

keep on covering the content over and over again, if you want you can try various methods( like reading it from the textbook ,revision guide, do flash cards, mind maps, etc) just make sure your theory is solid. I think you'll know you understand the topics if you can apply it to the context they give you in papers. and do the questions on the book as well XD
(even though it seems boring you're seeing the same information over and over again)

maybe you can try and 'chop' each section out? Do topic questions first after covering different topics then dip into full past papers?
by the time you know it you've covered everything lol :biggrin:

Personally, I don't think there's a 'right way' to revise, learning varies per person so it depends on you on which way you think is the most effective way for you.

Good luck!
Reply 17
I did OCR biology through to A2, honestly I feel you guys, its a lot to learn and certainly feels like a lot while going through it, but remember everyone's in the same boat which obviously means nicer grade boundaries. I got an A* overall and I tutor kids up to A levels so I'd like to say I know my :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: :/, if anyone has any questions on revision etc... I'd be happy to help.
Original post by TaranK
I did OCR biology through to A2, honestly I feel you guys, its a lot to learn and certainly feels like a lot while going through it, but remember everyone's in the same boat which obviously means nicer grade boundaries. I got an A* overall and I tutor kids up to A levels so I'd like to say I know my :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: :/, if anyone has any questions on revision etc... I'd be happy to help.

Wow that is brilliant!! What were your favourite techniques for revision? Also how many hours a day did you spend revising a month before your exams?
Original post by quirkyvictoria
It is mitosis:smile: I always use::

Please
Make
Another
Two
Cells

But I have to remember to include interphase beforehand:s-smilie:

I like that :biggrin: might use it in the exam

Quick Reply

Latest