The Student Room Group

Is anyone using the CGP books for AS-level Biology? Are they good?

I've not used the AS ones, but I have used the GCSE Biology one, by CGP, and it's really good. There's lots of colour and pictures, with useful diagrams drawn clearly, that you can copy out easily. It's been so helpful for me and my friends, and has moved our grades up to A* from B.
Original post by Tasty Apple
I've not used the AS ones, but I have used the GCSE Biology one, by CGP, and it's really good. There's lots of colour and pictures, with useful diagrams drawn clearly, that you can copy out easily. It's been so helpful for me and my friends, and has moved our grades up to A* from B.

Wow that's really good!! I do hear lots of good things about the CGP books which is why I have been considering them for AS-level Biology! :smile:
I used the old one for AS Biology last year and it was good. I didn't rely on the book much though because I thought it didn't cover everything on the course (so I wasted a lot of time trying to go through the official textbook and barely covering any material). But it does cover all of the syllabus. I think that if I had used it properly, and also done past papers, I would have done well. Best way to use it is probably alongside the exam board endorsed textbook.
Original post by EastGuava
I used the old one for AS Biology last year and it was good. I didn't rely on the book much though because I thought it didn't cover everything on the course (so I wasted a lot of time trying to go through the official textbook and barely covering any material). But it does cover all of the syllabus. I think that if I had used it properly, and also done past papers, I would have done well. Best way to use it is probably alongside the exam board endorsed textbook.

Thank you! I am now thinking of carrying on just using the endorsed textbook that I already have. What would you do differently in order to use the endorsed text book "properly"?
Original post by Philip-flop
Thank you! I am now thinking of carrying on just using the endorsed textbook that I already have. What would you do differently in order to use the endorsed text book "properly"?

Not copy out information from the textbook mindlessly. I made notes that I didn't look back at - that was definitely a mistake. I think actually making the effort to understand the content is important. The revision guide could help in this respect as it simplifies things.
Original post by Philip-flop

I have used these books for AS-Level Biology and Chemistry (although a different exam board) and I definitely recommend them. They summarise things nicely and have lots of diagrams/pictures to help. They're also much smaller than my actual course book that the school gave us so I can easily take it on the go. I tend to revise the basic ideas and do the questions at the bottoms of the pages as it is not thorough enough to actually learn out of. But sometimes it is just nice to have 2 different ways of explaining something. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending