(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else getting a 404 message?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Anyone else getting a 404 message?

Ah, sorry, the issue was the silly colon at the end of the link. Got rid of it, link should work :wink:
Original post by Bath~Student
link should work :wink:

It does not.

Spoiler

Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
It does not.

Spoiler

No, it is not! Take the colon out at the end of the link!!
It works now lol
So essentially, because our parents had awful student accommodation, we also need to have awful student accommodation if we want the 'right' university experience? I fail to see how an ensuite can have a negative impact on your time at uni. You still share a kitchen and living space.
Original post by Legendary Quest
So essentially, because our parents had awful student accommodation, we also need to have awful student accommodation if we want the 'right' university experience? I fail to see how an ensuite can have a negative impact on your time at uni. You still share a kitchen and living space.

Well, it's team building. Fancy having an En-suite *and* a flatscreen television in your university accommodation. I find that doesn't teach the skills of frugality that you must learn as part of your university experience.
Reply 8
All my uni accommodation is en suite anyway so...:colone:
Well, it's team building. Fancy having an En-suite *and* a flatscreen television in your university accommodation. I find that doesn't teach the skills of frugality that you must learn as part of your university experience.

I think it all comes down to intentions. If you go to university with the intention of gaining new skills then having a flatscreen TV and your own place to pee won't affect that. You will still go out of your way to gain new skills. I mean, you still have to buy everything yourself. You have to do your own shopping. Your ensuite doesn't change that. :smile:
I fail to see how not having to sit on a toilet seat that someone else has pissed on and then not cleaned up after themselves in any way detracts from the experience.:confused:
I don't really think OP's argument is compelling, as Legendary pointed out, times change, standards of living improve. I enjoy the odd bit of classical music from the late 19th/early 20th century, but that doesn't mean that I refuse to use anything other than a gramophone to listen to it with lest I have an 'inauthentic experience'. Bad living conditions aren't an integral quality of student living, just a product of having relatively little money to spend. As times move on and everyone has a little more disposable income, it's not unreasonable to want to have stuff like en-suites.
(edited 8 years ago)

Kids going into 30-40k debt to spend 3 years doing gender studies or media studies... Probably not bothered about being "Frugal"
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Kids going into 30-40k debt to spend 3 years doing gender studies or media studies... Probably not bothered about being "Frugal"

haha absolutely my point! They ought to be..
^

Hyperlink's still got the colon, might wanna edit :wink:

So we should opt for non-ensuite... why? There's still the same amount of each accommodation whether we take it or not. If I don't take an en-suite room, someone else'll have it instead and nothing on the grand scale will change.
Original post by Alexion
Hyperlink's still got the colon, might wanna edit :wink:

So we should opt for non-ensuite... why? There's still the same amount of each accommodation whether we take it or not. If I don't take an en-suite room, someone else'll have it instead and nothing on the grand scale will change.

No, it's not about that. It's for you, because through having a non En-Suite you are practising your team-building and frugality skills!
No, it's not about that. It's for you, because through having a non En-Suite you are practising your team-building and frugality skills!

By sharing a loo? I don't get it
Original post by Alexion
By sharing a loo? I don't get it

To borrow from one of the commenters in the comment section:
"I thought (and from personal experience) that living in a crowded, damp and grotty hovel was part of character building when you were a student!"

It certainly is a unique and important experience.
Reply 18

I'll stick to actual team building with group projects and spending frugally in everything else thanks. Why would I want to live uncomfortably for 4 years, especially when I'll be working hard for most of the time. I don't want to put up with other crap after a 9-6 at uni.
Well not everyone will feel comfortable using a toilet with complete strangers :/ I even feel uncomfortable to use the toilet even at my friends houses

Quick Reply

Latest