The Student Room Group

30th Mar: Do you leave revision to the last minute?

Scroll to see replies

How can I revise in 8 weeks for maths and in 2 weeks is my mocks for GCSE maths aqa level
Original post by JodieHarriett18
I've been revising since September, like been doing notes everyday and going over them. I'm predicted 3 A*s :smile: you?

Predicted 4 A s, what subjects do you do then
Reply 82
Original post by satanslilsis
Always intend to revise, I've learnt to make revision fun. However other life stressors seem to get in my way, (family emergencies/ dramas at home). Hopefully it will sort :smile:

Hey, I was just reading through some of the replies here. I'm curious to see how you've managed to make revision feel a little more fun as I'm really starting to get tired of it. My techniques seem to be anything but fun so I'm looking for a different spin to keep on powering through.

Hope you don't mind me asking :smile:
My target is a c and I am doing maths
I try to revise as much as i can and i know that i should revise much more than i do but i find it difficult to be motivated and stay focused. I can't revise the night before and still get a good grade because i need time to remember everything but at the same time i feel like if i start revision months before then i will not know it in time for the exam, any tips?
Original post by cleggj88
Predicted 4 A s, what subjects do you do then

History, law, politics :smile: you?
That's like me I am trying to revise but I can't and I haven't started revising yet
Original post by JodieHarriett18
History, law, politics :smile: you?

Biology, Chemistry, Physics and maths
Original post by meloj
Hey, I was just reading through some of the replies here. I'm curious to see how you've managed to make revision feel a little more fun as I'm really starting to get tired of it. My techniques seem to be anything but fun so I'm looking for a different spin to keep on powering through.

Hope you don't mind me asking :smile:

Ahh no problem! It's all individual in terms of making revision as fun as you can. The fact you want to try new things is awesome, and to me I think once one technique gets stale its best to try new things. Some may work better than others but being adventurous and experimentation is key and you may find something awesome to keep you interested in the long run. Here's some suggestions:

If sitting there for hours at a time is boring to you (is for me), The Pomodoro technique which is 25 minute bursts with breaks in between is awesome. The productivity also increases using this. This can make use of any spare time you're willing to give and it will shock you how much you have done in 25 minutes as opposed to hours of being bored.
Also, as childish as it seems, make everything colourful! at the start of every term I get a pack of coloured pens, its really useful and can be fun if you make huge mind maps or funky flash cards.
Make sure you have snacks around, sometimes this is a good trick to increase 'enjoyment' level whilst working and are in 'your space' comfy.
:smile: Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
I always find revising last minute actually helps me, I find when I cram, as I have a very short term photographic memory, i can't remember quite easily the ways I've answered a similar question in practice when I'm in the exam. But I wouldn't leave all my revision to the last minute
Reply 90
Original post by satanslilsis
Ahh no problem! It's all individual in terms of making revision as fun as you can. The fact you want to try new things is awesome, and to me I think once one technique gets stale its best to try new things. Some may work better than others but being adventurous and experimentation is key and you may find something awesome to keep you interested in the long run. Here's some suggestions:

If sitting there for hours at a time is boring to you (is for me), The Pomodoro technique which is 25 minute bursts with breaks in between is awesome. The productivity also increases using this. This can make use of any spare time you're willing to give and it will shock you how much you have done in 25 minutes as opposed to hours of being bored.
Also, as childish as it seems, make everything colourful! at the start of every term I get a pack of coloured pens, its really useful and can be fun if you make huge mind maps or funky flash cards.
Make sure you have snacks around, sometimes this is a good trick to increase 'enjoyment' level whilst working and are in 'your space' comfy.
:smile: Good luck!

Ahh I've heard of pomodoro before, I kind of brushed it off at the time as 25 minutes doesn't seem long. However, I can see it working for some topics so I'll definitely give it a go.It's definitely time for a little change as I've been using the same techniques for so long and it really makes me dread revision as I get so bored. However, it's memorising rather than the understanding that's starting to get tricky as my content is very memory heavy this year.

I'm with you with the stationary thing, I literally just bought some new stuff to persuade myself to get some revision done with them, makes things so much better. Thanks so much for your help, all the best! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
If I get stuck I stop revision and end up procrastinating for the rest of the day.

ikr
My first exam is May 19th and my last is May 26th so I don't really have the option of last minute revision. I have about 7 weeks to learn about 3 A levels that I have absolutely no clue on, yet I'm still sat in bed doing nothing. HELP ME IM UNMOTIVATED 😩
First exam is 16th of may and the last is on the tenth of june, but i cant cram three science a levels and maths
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on The Surgery Gemma & Dr Radha are talking about revision. How much revision do you think is enough? Do you think you’ve aced the revision process or are you struggling to focus when exams still feel a while away?

Share your top revision tips and you biggest revision barriers and we’ll do our best to help get you in the zone on Wednesday 30th March at 9pm on BBC Radio 1.

Please note: You can post on this forum anonymously.

I want to get 9A*'s and i will have put in 100 hours over easter and then again between end of easter and exams, i still don't feel like these 200 hours are enough but i can't do more than 6 hours a day without loosing concentration (in fact i'm doing a math paper right now but i'm procrastinating and writing this)
Reply 95
I wouldn't say the last minute. But honestly it's much better for me, I find, to do the heavy revision during the last few weeks, or else I just forget stuff. Most of my exams are in June now, and what's the point of trying to drill things into my head in heavy duty fashion now when I know they won't stay there for two months? So I'm just going over things less deeply and trying to keep a vague idea of everything, rather than full-on studying. At GCSE I left revision for a couple of exams to the last few days, at A Level a couple I revised <2 weeks for, but I've never revised for a proper exam just the night before or anything (except Welsh I guess, which was just looking over the book once lol).
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I wouldn't say the last minute. But honestly it's much better for me, I find, to do the heavy revision during the last few weeks, or else I just forget stuff. Most of my exams are in June now, and what's the point of trying to drill things into my head in heavy duty fashion now when I know they won't stay there for two months? So I'm just going over things less deeply and trying to keep a vague idea of everything, rather than full-on studying. At GCSE I left revision for a couple of exams to the last few days, at A Level a couple I revised <2 weeks for, but I've never revised for a proper exam just the night before or anything (except Welsh I guess, which was just looking over the book once lol).

when did u srsly prep for STEP ?
Reply 97
Original post by Duke Glacia
when did u srsly prep for STEP ?

STEP is different as there isn't memorisation involved, that is part of the Maths...and to be honest I barely needed to revise as such for Maths as I studied it a lot early on. I don't think there was ever a time when I was intensely prepping for STEP, I kind of did a small amount but frequently.
I don't leave my revision to the very last minute, because anxiety takes over...but I can almost always get a C when I revise the night before (as I know from my mocks). To get B's and A's I definitely need a few weeks of really hard core, painful, heavy revision! But I honestly am really not one of those people that can do that amount during December time, because 1) I forget things and 2) I don't have the energy, but when exam season rolls around the stress levels make me work l extremely hard (I think a lot of students feel like that) without getting exhausted quickly.

But of course I keep up through the year, read my textbook, do my homework and ask lots of questions in class, so I'm alright...:tongue:
goodluck to you too xx

head over to the thread i started on AS exams 2016 I need some reassurance and advice!
im sure your all lovely people!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending