The Student Room Group

Auto driving

My dad and friends say automatics for disabled people/women but I really need a car to drive to the gym and crap and manuals just not happening for me.

How much easier is auto than manual? how long would it take to pass? Will my Dad disown me for doing automatic?

Edit: Abit more info: I've done like 10 lessons already (manual) but never really committed, I live about 10 minutes from the test centre and my only major problem with manual was consistently stalling.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Get a diesel
Original post by Oilfreak1
My dad and friends say automatics for disabled people/women but I really need a car to drive to the gym and crap and manuals just not happening for me.

How much easier is auto than manual? how long would it take to pass?

Edit: Abit more info: I've done like 10 lessons already (manual) but never really committed, I live about 10 minutes from the test centre and my only major problem with manual was consistently stalling.

It is without a doubt easier to learn to drive an automatic than a manual, no gears to think about means there's less for you to have to concentrate on other than your road positioning and what is going on around you. How long it'll take to pass is an impossible question to answer however, there is no specific amount of time it takes for somebody to pass their test, it's different for everybody.

Personally I don't get the hate that some people have for automatics. I learnt to drive with a manual, for the first 6 years after I passed my test I drove a manual, but now I drive an automatic because the vast majority of my driving is either done in stop/start city traffic or cruising on the motorway, and for stop/start traffic an automatic is a lot more relaxing than a manual and on the motorway when you're just sticking it in top gear and leaving it it's not like it makes a difference either.

However, I strongly advise you to stick with learning to drive a manual for a few reasons.

1) Buying a car after you pass will be much easier. Automatics tend to be harder to find, more expensive to buy and more expensive to insure than an equivalent manual.
2) Being able to drive a manual gives you more flexibility when it comes to buying cars, if you're on a budget you'll have more options in your price range and you're less likely to end up in a situation where you're stuck with a car you don't really like because it was all that was available.
3) While it may not seem like it now, you can almost guarantee that at some point in the future you'll need to drive a hire car and if you can only drive an automatic then your options are again going to be very limited and come at a premium cost.
Reply 3
Original post by mackemforever
It is without a doubt easier to learn to drive an automatic than a manual, no gears to think about means there's less for you to have to concentrate on other than your road positioning and what is going on around you. How long it'll take to pass is an impossible question to answer however, there is no specific amount of time it takes for somebody to pass their test, it's different for everybody.

Personally I don't get the hate that some people have for automatics. I learnt to drive with a manual, for the first 6 years after I passed my test I drove a manual, but now I drive an automatic because the vast majority of my driving is either done in stop/start city traffic or cruising on the motorway, and for stop/start traffic an automatic is a lot more relaxing than a manual and on the motorway when you're just sticking it in top gear and leaving it it's not like it makes a difference either.

However, I strongly advise you to stick with learning to drive a manual for a few reasons.

1) Buying a car after you pass will be much easier. Automatics tend to be harder to find, more expensive to buy and more expensive to insure than an equivalent manual.
2) Being able to drive a manual gives you more flexibility when it comes to buying cars, if you're on a budget you'll have more options in your price range and you're less likely to end up in a situation where you're stuck with a car you don't really like because it was all that was available.
3) While it may not seem like it now, you can almost guarantee that at some point in the future you'll need to drive a hire car and if you can only drive an automatic then your options are again going to be very limited and come at a premium cost.

1) I'm going to be insured under my mums car and will be using that (Auto), although I would like to drive my dads merc now and then...

2 and 3 totally agree with you.

My issue is I feel that I would be test ready for auto by June i'm not sure the same can be said for manual? I want to be driving by Ramadan so that I can gym directly after evening prayers, assuming I feel auto would be fast enough for me would manual also be?

Also I booked lessons through RED, is there anyway to switch to manual before my lesson (tomorrow)?

How much easier is auto than manual? how long would it take to pass? Will my Dad disown me for doing automatic?

that's slightly worrying... my mom drives a manual >.>

rip clutch
Autos are far easier. It's basically put it in drive and learn the rest.

That being said, anyone that makes a fuss about automatics is trying to compensate for something. Most, if not all modern super cars are automatics and most, if not all luxury cars are automatics.

Also, looking into the future, the vast majority of hybrids are automatics, and as far as I'm aware, all electric cars are automatics.

If they start saying anything about you driving an auto, just throw a joke about playing with a 'stick'. :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by TheMcSame

That being said, anyone that makes a fuss about automatics is trying to compensate for something. Most, if not all modern super cars are automatics and most, if not all luxury cars are automatics.

Also, looking into the future, the vast majority of hybrids are automatics, and as far as I'm aware, all electric cars are automatics.

If they start saying anything about you driving an auto, just throw a joke about playing with a 'stick'. :biggrin:

Yeah I don't really care what anyone says my dad might be a bit pissed at first but he'll eventually just take the piss which is all good.

Do you think it would be possible to pass by June in an auto? I am willing to cancel lessons and do manual tbh but manuals just so hit and miss for me.
Yeah I don't really care what anyone says my dad might be a bit pissed at first but he'll eventually just take the piss which is all good.

Do you think it would be possible to pass by June in an auto? I am willing to cancel lessons and do manual tbh but manuals just so hit and miss for me.

It's possible I guess. I'd say you'd need to have a few lessons a week though. Then there's the problem of getting a test date, so you'd be looking for cancellations.
Reply 8
It's possible I guess. I'd say you'd need to have a few lessons a week though. Then there's the problem of getting a test date, so you'd be looking for cancellations.

I'll probably start searching for test dates from tonight, I don't mind having a few lessons a week tbh I don't do much after work anyway, and I earn enough to sustain a few 4 hours or more a week.
Reply 9
Hey guy's bit of an update, started lessons and they're decent, based on the first lesson alone the instructor has told me it would take approx 20-30 hours for me to be test ready, if I did 4 hours a week after work i'd be giving up 120 a week (1 days wages) on lessons but i'd be comfortably in the range of my june goals (this is assuming i pass first time which as I live right next to the test centre should be possible).

Is $30* for 16-26 hours**, that's 600-900 too expensive? I've heard of people passing in 10 hours of lessons and spending only $300 is that the norm and should I look for an instructor that can do that for me or is 600-900 the norm?

*$ = GBP, my Mac is from the states and has no pound sign.
** I have the first 4 hours for practically free thanks to an offer.

How exactly is the fact that a lot of modern, higher end vehicles come with an automatic gearbox as standard relevant to somebody who is only just learning to drive?

Given that most learner drivers are going to be looking at buying something a decade old and on a very tight budget it's not like they're going to have much choice when it comes to automatics and it's going to be very difficult to find something decent for their budget because the choice is so limited.
Reply 11
You'll regret just going auto as I do ,now I'm having to retake my test in a manual (failed first go on Friday) my advice is to stick with a manual car
Original post by mackemforever
How exactly is the fact that a lot of modern, higher end vehicles come with an automatic gearbox as standard relevant to somebody who is only just learning to drive?

Given that most learner drivers are going to be looking at buying something a decade old and on a very tight budget it's not like they're going to have much choice when it comes to automatics and it's going to be very difficult to find something decent for their budget because the choice is so limited.

It was more of a point about auto boxes soon becoming the norm, and the people that hate on autos will soon be driving an auto themselves...
My dad and friends say automatics for disabled people/women

You are surrounded by retards.
Reply 14
Original post by cat2280
You'll regret just going auto as I do ,now I'm having to retake my test in a manual (failed first go on Friday) my advice is to stick with a manual car

already regretting it lol autos like a toy, but I really need to drive asap and it's alot easier than manual.
Original post by thefatone
that's slightly worrying... my mom drives a manual >.>

rip clutch

LOOL IDK WHY but the rip clutch part got me x'DD
Reply 16
already regretting it lol autos like a toy, but I really need to drive asap and it's alot easier than manual.

well you can always do what it did passed in an auto and three years later doing manual lessons :smile:

I agree tho theyre so much nicer and easier to drive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending