The Student Room Group

Languages

Is it possible to learn two languages at the same time?

Spoiler

Original post by Eriasu
Is it possible to learn two languages at the same time?

Spoiler

I don't see why not :smile:
idk if this helps but currently learning french and spanish for igcse lol
Yes and no. I can't remember where I read this but apparently you have you native language and your foreign language so if yu are starting from scatch with both and are about A1/A2 it will be really difficult. You might end up saying sentences half in one language and half in another.
At the same time many do learn multiple languages so it must be possible.
Why do you ask?
Reply 4
Original post by surina16
idk if this helps but currently learning french and spanish for igcse lol

I'm planning to learn French after Japanese but good luck on your IGCSE exam when it comes up.
Reply 5
Original post by Sportycb
Yes and no. I can't remember where I read this but apparently you have you native language and your foreign language so if yu are starting from scatch with both and are about A1/A2 it will be really difficult. You might end up saying sentences half in one language and half in another.
At the same time many do learn multiple languages so it must be possible.
Why do you ask?

Because I want to learn both of them at the same time
Original post by Eriasu
Because I want to learn both of them at the same time

You might as well as try. What is the worst that could happen? :smile:
Totally. I'm going to do a joint honours language degree next year (deferred entry), for French and Danish. According to the university, most graduates for Modern Languages tend to graduate near fluent in two languages, if not three. It's 100% possible, you just have to be prepared to dedicate time and brain power to it!
Reply 8
Original post by LamantChenille
Totally. I'm going to do a joint honours language degree next year (deferred entry), for French and Danish. According to the university, most graduates for Modern Languages tend to graduate near fluent in two languages, if not three. It's 100% possible, you just have to be prepared to dedicate time and brain power to it!

Yeah that's the problem, with the revisions for the exam I can't dedicate much time to it so I'm wondering if studying Japaneses and French one day a week would do the trick and recording myself speaking Japanese & French and listening to while traveling could work.
Reply 9
Original post by Sportycb
You might as well as try. What is the worst that could happen? :smile:

Yeah I will, thank you o/
Original post by Eriasu
Yeah that's the problem, with the revisions for the exam I can't dedicate much time to it so I'm wondering if studying Japaneses and French one day a week would do the trick and recording myself speaking Japanese & French and listening to while traveling could work.

I think that it will 100% work, just be prepared for the fact that you might not learn as fast as you might if you were only learning one langauge. I don't think there's much danger of mixing French and Japanese up though, they're very different. Listening a lot to a langauge is proven to help you learn it, that's why so many people favour immersion in a culture as a language learning technique, so recording yourself could be a really fruitful strategy. Good luck!
Reply 11
Original post by LamantChenille
I think that it will 100% work, just be prepared for the fact that you might not learn as fast as you might if you were only learning one langauge. I don't think there's much danger of mixing French and Japanese up though, they're very different. Listening a lot to a langauge is proven to help you learn it, that's why so many people favour immersion in a culture as a language learning technique, so recording yourself could be a really fruitful strategy. Good luck!

Will do! Thanks for the advice!
I think it's very difficult if they are BOTH from beginners level. I waited until I was fairly confident in German before deciding to take upon another language to learn.

It's probably doable, but won't be easy if it's your first experience in learning foreign languages.
Yeah, it's possible but slow. I've been doing it for German and Dutch for a few months, but I've focused much more on German so far.

Quick Reply

Latest