The Student Room Group

Equal work should NOT mean equal pay

This has been on my mind for a while, so I'm just going to put my opinion and look forward to debating with others on the topic :smile:

I'm referring to when those who are paid less, for what they call "Equal work", claim that they should be paid more so everyone doing the same job has the same pay. For example (http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/31/news/companies/womens-soccer-equal-pay/index.html) In the US was posted today. Women footballers are claiming that because the total average wage of a female footballer is less than the total average wage of a male footballer, it must be due to their sex nothing else? Do people really not understand supply and demand.

Of course it's much more complicated than supply demand ideologies, but the fact it's more complicated only backs up my next point even further. Working as hard as someone else does not mean you achieve the same, earn the same for those above you, accomplish the same etc etc. All it means is that you tried as hard. Why on earth should that be the sole quality considered when determining pay? Using the example stated, more people watch male football. Therefore higher revenue, therefore higher pay. Simple. This is because, males tend to be considered better at football as a whole. Money is invested into opportunity, and in football opportunity is correlated with talent. Better players win more games and get more viewers = higher revenue. So how can you persuade this talent to join you? Pay them MORE. Anyone that thinks it's because of their gender hasn't ever studied economics in any way whatsoever.

And it happens all around us. "Oh why are sports stars earning more than doctors". There is no 1 person paying everyone's wages, so they cannot be compared. Obviously it would be ideal if those more useful to society were payed more (increases incentive to do more for society for young people in education) but that's simply not how an economy can function. And it would mean a lot of people don't get to do the jobs they dream of.

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong? There's so much more to a salary than one of your genetic characterists -_-

Scroll to see replies

Simple. Communist revolution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Women footballers are claiming that because the total average wage of a female footballer is less than the total average wage of a male footballer, it must be due to their sex nothing else? Do people really not understand supply and demand.

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong?-

I'd love to.

1- The US Women's Football team has won 4 Olympic medals and 3 world titles. They are the current holders of the world title, meaning that they are the best in the world.
2- The men's team have won nothing.
3- The men's team lost a million dollars this past year. The women's team MADE 20 million. To be fair, it was a championship year fro the women, not the men. But all you need to know is that the woman's team is solvent...and winning.
4 - Last year, the women's games were MORE watched than the men's in 2012.

I'm not entirely convinced by the "equality means bringing in equal revenue" schtick. BUT if you want to go with that - the women's team is asking for too little.

Source: I prefer th BBC, but sometimes I watch CNN, too.
(edited 8 years ago)
OP, is your real gripe with the thread's titular philosophy or its anomalous disapplication in the world of sport?
(edited 8 years ago)
Indeed, and how does one define "equal work" anyway? Number of hours? Surely not.
Supply and demand.
Womens football is sooo boring! Nowhear as physical or as fast paced as mens football!

Supply and demand, not many people want to watch womens football so they wont have high wages
Original post by Assan
I'd love to.

1- The US Women's Football team has won 4 Olympic medals and 3 world titles. They are the current holders of the world title, meaning that they are the best in the world.
2- The men's team have won nothing.
3- The men's team lost a million dollars this past year. The women's team MADE 20 million. To be fair, it was a championship year fro the women, not the men. But all you need to know is that the woman's team is solvent...and winning.
4 - Last year, the women's games were MORE watched than the men's in 2012.

I'm not entirely convinced by the "equality means bringing in equal revenue" schtick. BUT if you want to go with that - the women's team is asking for too little.

Source: I prefer th BBC, but sometimes I watch CNN, too.

I only needed to read that women's games were watched more than the men's in 2012 to know this was a troll reply xD
Reply 8
I only needed to read that women's games were watched more than the men's in 2012 to know this was a troll reply xD

Watch the news, dear.
Original post by Assan
Watch the news, dear.

Or, you could learn to either 1) Not completely fabricate statistics, 2) Not misrepresent statistics or 3) Explain what the statistics actually refer to.

Women's football game's we're not viewed more than male football games in 2012. Maybe for specific countries, or tournament based, or because of factors such as bigger tournaments/ more games etc etc. But I highly doubt it's as rediculous as the agenda driven media likes to make it sound.

And people like you, with your sarcastic and patronising tones, are the reason nobody listens. So childish.
Reply 10
Nobody watches women's football, where do these women expect their salaries to come from?

By nobody I mean significantly less people do so than men's football, don't get your panties up in a bunch
Original post by Salads1
Nobody watches women's football, where do these women expect their salaries to come from?

By nobody I mean significantly less people do so than men's football, don't get your panties up in a bunch

I am by no means informed about this scenario but I do want to say that you are only adding to the problem by saying "don't get your panties up in a bunch". If you were arguing against another guy would you say "don't get your boxers up in a bunch"? Even if you didn't mean for it to sound misogynistic you're basically just disregarding everything said and filing it under "stupid woman problem".
This has been on my mind for a while, so I'm just going to put my opinion and look forward to debating with others on the topic :smile:

I'm referring to when those who are paid less, for what they call "Equal work", claim that they should be paid more so everyone doing the same job has the same pay. For example (http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/31/news/companies/womens-soccer-equal-pay/index.html) In the US was posted today. Women footballers are claiming that because the total average wage of a female footballer is less than the total average wage of a male footballer, it must be due to their sex nothing else? Do people really not understand supply and demand.

Of course it's much more complicated than supply demand ideologies, but the fact it's more complicated only backs up my next point even further. Working as hard as someone else does not mean you achieve the same, earn the same for those above you, accomplish the same etc etc. All it means is that you tried as hard. Why on earth should that be the sole quality considered when determining pay? Using the example stated, more people watch male football. Therefore higher revenue, therefore higher pay. Simple. This is because, males tend to be considered better at football as a whole. Money is invested into opportunity, and in football opportunity is correlated with talent. Better players win more games and get more viewers = higher revenue. So how can you persuade this talent to join you? Pay them MORE. Anyone that thinks it's because of their gender hasn't ever studied economics in any way whatsoever.

And it happens all around us. "Oh why are sports stars earning more than doctors". There is no 1 person paying everyone's wages, so they cannot be compared. Obviously it would be ideal if those more useful to society were payed more (increases incentive to do more for society for young people in education) but that's simply not how an economy can function. And it would mean a lot of people don't get to do the jobs they dream of.

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong? There's so much more to a salary than one of your genetic characterists -_-

Those arent sensible omparisons though. If you are in the same office doing the same job, then its mystifying why one person gets more than another assuming equal performance etc.
Reply 13
Original post by Emily May
I am by no means informed about this scenario but I do want to say that you are only adding to the problem by saying "don't get your panties up in a bunch". If you were arguing against another guy would you say "don't get your boxers up in a bunch"? Even if you didn't mean for it to sound misogynistic you're basically just disregarding everything said and filing it under "stupid woman problem".

I thought the expression was panties? Anyway I didn't mean to sound that way, on the contrary I said that to defuse a situation where somebody angrily replies to me with "but then you must hate women" or something. I just don't see how women can be paid as much when they aren't generating anywhere near the amount of money that men are in that particular industry.
Reply 14
So is it just supply and demand or is there far more too it?
Apparently I've read somewhere that in other industries (not just sport) the gender pay gap could be explained by how it's more acceptable for men to negotiate their pay with the boss.
Original post by Assan
I'd love to.

*Best women's * team in the world. They would lose to Torquay United. This is the reason no one watches women's football. :biggrin::biggrin:

^^ This is a joke:wink:
But seriously if many times less people watch women's football, how can the players expect to make the same amount of money. Do championship players say that they should be paid the same as premier league players- of course not because there are a lot more people that watch premier league football than the football league.
Supply and demand.
Original post by shawn_o1
Apparently I've read somewhere that in other industries (not just sport) the gender pay gap could be explained by how it's more acceptable for men to negotiate their pay with the boss.

No that's a different issue, and the explanations are:
1) Calculations ignore qualifications
2) Calculations ignore how many hours worked
3) Calculations ignore people's individual choices
4) Calculations ignore what job you have.

It's simply the average salary of all women with all qualifications in all jobs or all weekly hours, is lower than the average salary of all men with all qualifications in all jobs or weekly hours. It's entirely unimportant and misleading.
Original post by 999tigger
Those arent sensible omparisons though. If you are in the same office doing the same job, then its mystifying why one person gets more than another assuming equal performance etc.

Nobody doing the same office job as someone else, bringing in the exact same revenue, get's paid less because of their gender.
Nobody doing the same office job as someone else, bringing in the exact same revenue, get's paid less because of their gender.

Then you are naive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending