The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
University of Greenwich's engineering department is definately underrated (the head of mclaren applied technologies studied in greenwich).

Ian Rhodes studied at Nottingham.
Original post by quasa
University of Greenwich's engineering department is definately underrated (the head of mclaren applied technologies studied in greenwich).

He's the exception, not the rule. Every department, even the crap ones, produces at least a handful of exceptional candidates.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Ian Rhodes studied at Nottingham.

the former dude then

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/peter-van-manen-93387660

He did his undergrad at world-leading Adelaide and his PhD at Greenwich.
He did his undergrad at world-leading Adelaide and his PhD at Greenwich.

eitherway, the fact he got his phd at greenwich and got hired at mclaren is surprising (then again pat fry did go to london guildhall university if memory serves correctly)

Grade inflation -- I have to say you're off the mark here. Exeter rather than being dishonest about the grades it will accept is exceptionally honest.

I don't think i explained myself properly on this point. I don't mean exeter literally upped their grades. I like that they offer truthful grade ranges. I was basically saying the fact that they don't have a large nursing and midwifery school (just an example. There are other lower entry tariff courses too) means it's misleading to directly compare the average entry standards for unis. 2 institutions can be equally as good in most things. But one can also have a department with a huge art emphasis and it'll drag the entry standards shown on the ranking website down. Therefore making the overall uni seem lower ranked. A uni shouldn't be punished for having a bigger variery of courses.

That along with the academic funding and student to staff issue is why i think the complete uni guides ranking algorithm is dodgy

But once again, i was only given my opinion on the threads question. I don't think Exeter Uni is bad. I still enjoyed my visit overall
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lawliettt
I don't think i explained myself properly on this point. I don't mean exeter literally upped their grades. I like that they offer truthful grade ranges. I was basically saying the fact that they don't have a large nursing and midwifery school (just an example. There are other lower entry tariff courses too) means it's misleading to directly compare the average entry standards for unis. 2 institutions can be equally as good in most things. But one can also have a department with a huge art emphasis and it'll drag the entry standards shown on the ranking website down. Therefore making the overall uni seem lower ranked. A uni shouldn't be punished for having a bigger variery of courses.

That along with the academic funding and student to staff issue is why i think the complete uni guides ranking algorithm is dodgy

But once again, i was only given my opinion on the threads question. I don't think Exeter Uni is bad. I still enjoyed my visit overall

No, I understood your nursing point and its limits. I was merely elaborating on it and pointing out that, analysing courses side-by-side, Exeter still wins on the entry front.
. I was merely elaborating on it and pointing out that, analysing courses side-by-side, Exeter still wins on the entry front.

How do you know though? As far as I'm aware, there's no website that compares every course that both unis offer side by side and takes an average. They all just look at overall entry tariffs. You could manually do it but it's not worth the time and effort. And what specific uni are you referring to with the comparisons ?
Original post by Lawliettt
How do you know though? As far as I'm aware, there's no website that compares every course that both unis offer side by side and takes an average. They all just look at overall entry tariffs. You could manually do it but it's not worth the time and effort. And what specific uni are you referring to with the comparisons ?

Manchester vs Exe civil eng

You'll find very little to distinguish the entry tariffs of the 2, Manchester has a fair amount less between 400-479 (65% vs 45%) however it's worth noting that Manchester has more students between 480-519 (15% vs 10%) as well 520-559 (10% vs 0%)

Manchester has 80% (360 UCAS) while Exeter has 100%, however this doesn't euqate to AAA, the data shows that at least in this data set Manchester is not accepting BTECs and Access courses in their Civil Eng course while Exeter is (BTECs get the equivalent of AAA far more easily).

So yeah pretty much nothing between the two in entry standards, Exeter is more stringent with the 360 UCAS ruling, whether BTEC or A-Level no one has been accepted with below 360 UCAS, while Manchester attracts more "brilliant" students, with 10% pretty much looking like imperial rejects.

If we compare the two with Imperial however it's pretty clear that neither is a "top 10 university" at least as far as entry standards for civil engineering goes
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
When I said that, I had Berkeley, LA (and to some extent) San Diego in mind. :redface:

Berkeley is the best one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Berkeley is the best one...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ik, with LA a close second especially for engineering
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Ik, with LA a close second especially for engineering

And computer science :yep:
Original post by Student403
And computer science :yep:

I hope you get in and stay on CC

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope you get in and stay on CC

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't even apply lol

But I am headed to the US and plan to stay on both :yep:
Original post by tcameron
I agree to an extent - three teachers in my school went to Cambridge and are now just school teachers, and this is the only job they've had despite doing respectable degrees :/
Whenever those in my school got offers from Cambridge a maaasive deal was made out of it from the school&the student's like they'd won the lottery or something - this even being before they'd confirmed their place
Cambridge has produced some great people in the past though

Maybe they just wanted to be teachers? It seems like a great job to me, even if you don't get a huge salary.
Didn't even apply lol

But I am headed to the US and plan to stay on both :yep:

Youre male right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Youre male right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a guess
Have a guess

I'm not going to. If Youre male and black going to America lol gL