The Student Room Group

Do Muslims have a responsibility to address radicalism?

Scroll to see replies

Everyone has the responsibility to address radicalism, not just the people that follow Islam.
Probably.
No they don't. We all have the responsibility to confront radicals if we happen to come across them but I don't see why Muslims should go out of their way to do so if they have nothing to do with these radicals.

I would say that many among the US Republican Party are pretty radical. That doesn't mean that Christians have the responsibility to "address" them.
Original post by WBZ144

I would say that many among the US Republican Party are pretty radical. That doesn't mean that Christians have the responsibility to "address" them.

Sure;y, though, if the Republicans generally want to do well, it is incumbent on their members to mitigate the damage the lunatics are doing. The general public doesn't care or find it funny, and the Democrats welcome the damage being done. so nobody else will step in on the Republicans' behalf.

The same applies to Islam.
Original post by Good bloke
Sure;y, though, if the Republicans generally want to do well, it is incumbent on their members to mitigate the damage the lunatics are doing. The general public doesn't care or find it funny, and the Democrats welcome the damage being done. so nobody else will step in on the Republicans' behalf.

The Republicans are one political Party in one country so comparing it to a religion that is present nearly everywhere in the world and has dozens of sects and multiple schools of thought is hardly an accurate comparison. Moreover radicals within the Republican Party often use Christianity to justify their views, so a better comparison to this would be holding Christians responsible for failing to address their actions.

Poor analogy.

A better one would be that Muslims are republicans, and extremist groups like ISIS is Donald Trump.

Fundamentally different policies, hates the republicans as much as the democrats, does very controversial things with widespread republican and democrat condemnation - all of which give him attention and make him stronger, and incites violence among his supporters
Original post by WBZ144
The Republicans are one political Party in one country so comparing it to a religion that is present nearly everywhere in the world and has dozens of sects and multiple schools of thought is hardly an accurate comparison.

It was you who chose to use the Republicans in your argument. i was merely following your own analogy to show that Moslems have a responsibility to combat radicalism in their religion.
It is a bit rich when someone who wrote this:

I absolutely guarantee you I have contributed more to society than you (a non-muslim) have and I most likely will do in the future as well (current 1st year med student).

accuses me of conjecture.

Nah, I just know that I have done a lot and more than you. I can't say what I've done as it'll lead to a google search and my identity in 5 seconds :smile:

You have yet to show me a verse that supports your idea that salafism doesn't fit in with the West and causes harm to it.
It was you who chose to use the Republicans in your argument. i was merely following your own analogy to show that Moslems have a responsibility to combat radicalism in their religion.

Yes but the comparison that I made was not the same.
Yes! Its the radicalisation happening in Muslim communities that needs to be addressed. The state can't address it so the Muslim leaders in those communities need to start promoting a more Western way of life and say no to extremist beliefs that paint the world as the West v Islam.
Almost every muslim wants to pass the buck here. We never asked them to come here, we allowed it from the goodness of our hearts, they brought their problems from the middle-east and now they just...

Perhaps if the Muslim community addressed issues like this we might be a little more open to accepting them

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/islamic-tarbiyah-academy-under-investigation-over-allegations-extremist-practice-1552549
and of course things like this happen in complete isolation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35944661
Man guilty of planning US airmen attack
Original post by BaconandSauce
and of course things like this happen in complete isolation

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35944661
Man guilty of planning US airmen attack

What about the hundreds upon hundreds of mass shootings done by white people in the US?

Those happen at much greater frequency than Muslim terrorists planning attacks on westerners.
Original post by Frank Underwood
What about the hundreds upon hundreds of mass shootings done by white people in the US?

Those happen at much greater frequency than Muslim terrorists planning attacks on westerners.

What does that have to do with the UK?
What does that have to do with the UK?

You were the one who brought up the US by mentioning a Muslim planning to attack a US airbase. Ask yourself what that has to do with the UK.
Yes. The Muslim version of the pope should update the Koran as a 2nd edition, fit for 21st century life. It is clearly outdate philosophy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You were the one who brought up the US by mentioning a Muslim planning to attack a US airbase. Ask yourself what that has to do with the UK.

AS I said frank it would help if you actually read my posts

But as it seems you need spoon feeding

'A delivery driver from Luton has been convicted of plotting to kill a US airman outside a base in East Anglia.'

I also note you ignored the one about the school teaching Muslim children to hate my culture.
AS I said frank it would help if you actually read my posts

But as it seems you need spoon feeding

'A delivery driver from Luton has been convicted of plotting to kill a US airman outside a base in East Anglia.'

I also note you ignored the one about the school teaching Muslim children to hate my culture.

didn't ignore, just losing the will to argue with a brick wall
didn't ignore, just losing the will to argue with a brick wall

If you had read it you would have known it was about the UK not America.

Epic fail there Frank

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending