The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Is it like being Muslim in the UK? :rofl:

Police dont kill you for looking suspicious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Is it like being Muslim in the UK? :rofl:

It really depends on your state. Southern/Central ones the racism/segregation is prevalent but on the West and East coasts, everyone's mixing and mingling!
Original post by tcameron
I agree to an extent - three teachers in my school went to Cambridge and are now just school teachers, and this is the only job they've had despite doing respectable degrees :/
Whenever those in my school got offers from Cambridge a maaasive deal was made out of it from the school&the student's like they'd won the lottery or something - this even being before they'd confirmed their place
Cambridge has produced some great people in the past though

One of my English lecturers at college read English at Oxford (can't remember which college), and he was one of the best and knowledgable teachers I'd ever had. Just because not every Oxbridge graduate goes off and makes millions in the city doesn't mean that the kind of education afforded there isn't special.

Why did you tag your friend :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
Why did you tag your friend :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No reason :innocent:
Original post by Student403
It really depends on your state. Southern/Central ones the racism/segregation is prevalent but on the West and East coasts, everyone's mixing and mingling!

Can confirm this ^

Posted from TSR Mobile
St Andrews/Durham overrated, Edinburgh underrated
Original post by TheTechN1304
St Andrews/Durham overrated, Edinburgh underrated

Durham is underrated.
Original post by Student403
Have a guess

maybe (s)he is both :PPP
Original post by Pro Crastination
One of my English lecturers at college read English at Oxford (can't remember which college), and he was one of the best and knowledgable teachers I'd ever had. Just because not every Oxbridge graduate goes off and makes millions in the city doesn't mean that the kind of education afforded there isn't special.

I agree. I wish people would stop obsessing about Oxbridge/RG as a "meal ticket" in the "world of work", it is simply not true! University is about providing opportunity for academic and personal growth. I am not a "bitter reject" by the way but have chosen my uni based upon lots of research and logic. Employers really don't care where you study, they are more interested in the qualities and skills the individual has developed. BTW there is nothing wrong with being a teacher as someone posted earlier, we all need them.
Original post by stefano865
Fair point.

I guess 'Russell Group' University still carries some weight.

Bath probably is equal to somewhere like Leeds Or Sheffield in most subjects. Having said that I doubt anyone would pick Bath over an RG for English.

But it's among the best in the country for Engineering and Maths I think.

RG is largely overrated anyway tbh.

:wink:

You can't study English at Bath.
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
You can't study English at Bath.

I didn't know that.

Pretty surprised tbh.

Durham is underrated.

so is Nottingham
Original post by stefano865
I didn't know that.

Pretty surprised tbh.

Forgetting something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MevMev
so is Nottingham

Nottingham isn't
Original post by Moonstruck16
London unis always get low student satisfaction scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why? :smile:
Nottingham isn't

Do u think its overrated?
Original post by MevMev
Do u think its overrated?

No, it get the amount of credit it deserves

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because i've seen someone slag off Coventry thought i'd interject and point out that for Geography it's 17th in the UK which puts it above Leeds, York etc. and I think it's massively underrated.

Personally i found Southampton very overrated especially as I would be paying £9000 a year for 9 hours contact a week but i'm sure that's similar with other RGs that I didn't look at.

(Not that I've firmed either of the two just adding my opinion)
Original post by MevMev
so is Nottingham

lol maybe, but I booked into having a look round the maths department last year (outside of usual open day times) and had a meeting with a professor of stats. In his words he said "There really isn't any difference between Durham and say another uni like Southampton so you could always go there. We only accept people who have been the best in their schools for the past 5 years or so unless you go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough or somewhere like that." An awkward silence proceeds. "You don't go to a crappy school in Middlesbrough do you?". I shake my head.

Although Im sure he was just one of stranger ones of the collectively high quality bunch or trying to be funny in some strange way. He also mentioned about me taking an entrance exam that doesnt exist. One week later I got an offer of only A*A and a 2 in step(or something similar) so I didnt mind too much :tongue:
(I meant this about Durham oops :tongue:) @ServantOfMorgoth
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending