The Student Room Group

M4 Tension DE Question

Attachment not found

With these questions I'm struggling to figure out exactly which value to use as xx in the T=λxlT = \frac{\lambda x}{l} formula

Because the string is already stretched, how does this factor into the value for xx? Does the extension of moving the particle P 12L\frac{1}{2}L from where it is at rest (it is attached to the centre) compound with the initial extension to give x1=x+Lx_1 = x + L?

Many thanks

Question is from Edexcel M4 January 2004 Q4

Tagged some people who may be able to help: @ghostwalker @tiny hobbit @Gome44
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Euclidean
Attachment not found

With these questions I'm struggling to figure out exactly which value to use as xx in the T=λxlT = \frac{\lambda x}{l} formula

Because the string is already stretched, how does this factor into the value for xx? Does the extension of moving the particle P 12L\frac{1}{2}L from where it is at rest (it is attached to the centre) compound with the initial extension to give x1=x+Lx_1 = x + L?

Many thanks

Question is from Edexcel M4 January 2004 Q4

Tagged some people who may be able to help: @ghostwalker @tiny hobbit @Gome44

link doesnt work :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Gome44
link doesnt work :frown:

This one should work:

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 16.17.09.png
Reply 3
This one should work:

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 16.17.09.png

Draw a diagram. The length of the string from P to B is 1.5L-x. The natural length of this string is L, thus extension is 0.5L-x

So yes you do factor in the initial extension
Reply 4
Original post by Gome44
Draw a diagram. The length of the string from P to B is 1.5L-x. The natural length of this string is L, thus extension is 0.5L-x

So yes you do factor in the initial extension

Thanks for explaining, I've got that tension right now.

Just checked the solution and I can't see why they have included a second tension T2T_2 on their answer though?

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 16.59.36.png

Surely if you pull this particle on a taut string to the right there will only be a tension to the left opposing that extension, why is there a tension T2T_2 in this diagram?

Edit: Is this about the initial tension from the stretch from A to B. We assume that the string is in two parts, one with extension 12L\frac{1}{2} L and another with the same extension? Hence when we factor in the tension to one string we have to do the same for the other?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for explaining, I've got that tension right now.

Just checked the solution and I can't see why they have included a second tension T2T_2 on their answer though?

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 16.59.36.png

Surely if you pull this particle on a taut string to the right there will only be a tension to the left opposing that extension, why is there a tension T2T_2 in this diagram?

Edit: Is this about the initial tension from the stretch from A to B. We assume that the string is in two parts, one with extension 12L\frac{1}{2} L and another with the same extension? Hence when we factor in the tension to one string we have to do the same for the other?

Once the particle is moving, both halves of the string will be longer than their natural length, so both will have a tension.
Reply 6
Original post by tiny hobbit
Once the particle is moving, both halves of the string will be longer than their natural length, so both will have a tension.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense now :doh:

Quick Reply

Latest