The Student Room Group

A New Theory for Islamic Hatred

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frank Underwood
I'm not so sure that most religious people are murderers

Strawmen are unnecessary and unhelpful. I'd really encourage you to watch this presentation by an Egyptian doctor. He's really smart, quite funny too. He was lured into extremism when he was at university and joined an Islamist group. Later on he realised the error of his ways, and started developing a reformist branch of Islam. This caused threats to be made against his life and he moved to America.

He makes very interesting points about how the mainstream interpretations of Islam directly contribute to extremism. He compares it to smoking and lung cancer. Not everyone who smokes will get lung cancer, but that doesn't mean that smoking is not the major causal factor. Just as not every Muslim will become an extremist or jihadist, but that doesn't mean Islam as it is currently practiced isn't a major causal factor

He points out how mainstream interpretations of the original Islamic texts easily lend themselves to extreme interpretations. He also has many interesting points to make about the psychology behind suicide bombing. It's easily in the top three most interesting talks about Islamism I've seen, maybe even the best one.

Nowadays he has developed a very innovative form of peaceful and tolerant Islam. But for Islam to develop in that direction, you first need to accept the problems with the existing religion as practiced and interpreted. He has done that, he should be supported and listened to.

Trust me, you'll profit far more from spending an hour or 90 minutes listening to this presentation than going back and forth debating on here.

[video="youtube;_UC2dr-PT0Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UC2dr-PT0Q[/video]
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Strawmen are unnecessary and unhelpful. I'd really encourage you to watch this presentation by an Egyptian doctor. He's really smart, quite funny too. He was lured into extremism when he was at university and joined an Islamist group. Later on he realised the error of his ways, and started developing a reformist branch of Islam. This caused threats to be made against his life and he moved to America.

He makes very interesting points about how the mainstream interpretations of Islam directly contribute to extremism. He compares it to smoking and lung cancer. Not everyone who smokes will get lung cancer, but that doesn't mean that smoking is not the major causal factor. Just as not every Muslim will become an extremist or jihadist, but that doesn't mean Islam as it is currently practiced isn't a major causal factor

He points out how mainstream interpretations of the original Islamic texts easily lend themselves to extreme interpretations. He also has many interesting points to make about the psychology behind suicide bombing. It's easily in the top three most interesting talks about Islamism I've seen, maybe even the best one.

Nowadays he has developed a very innovative form of peaceful and tolerant Islam. But for Islam to develop in that direction, you first need to accept the problems with the existing religion as practiced and interpreted. He has done that, he should be supported and listened to.

Trust me, you'll profit far more from spending an hour or 90 minutes listening to this presentation than going back and forth debating on here.

[video="youtube;_UC2dr-PT0Q"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UC2dr-PT0Q[/video]

alright i'll give it a watch in a bit
Reply 42
Original post by ItsRoger
Stop scaremongering you idiot. The historical context for the above passage is that it was revealed at the battle of badr. A battle in which the disbeliever of Makkah travelled 100s of miles to kill Muslims in Madinah. The disbelievers had 1000 soldiers ,while the Muslims all they could gather to fight back in defence, they had only 300 soldiers. Even though Prophet Muhammad had left Makkah to find peace for its community without being persecuted, oppressed, they once again were trying to terrorize the Muslim community.

Again I will say each and every 'violent' quote and passage that people like him like to cherry pick has CONTEXT! And people like ISIS like to take them out of context.

Muslims were always the innocent little victims in every battle...
Reply 43
Indonesia has the highest Muslim population on Earth.

Last time I checked, their military helped prevent an attack by ISIS in Jakarta.

What does Indonesia having the highest muslim population in the world have to do with the argument?
Original post by Bazzel
A lot of anger stems from the fact Muslims are not doing enough to tackle extremism.

Do you expect people to fly out to Syria and knock out a few guys? That's what the army is for
Reply 45
This is just an assumption, provide me a source which says something, because I don't believe you, given your anti-Islam agenda from your posting history.

http://sheikyermami.com/the-principle-of-abrogation-in-the-quran/

I guess this is biased as well because it doesn't go with your deluded agenda.
Reply 46
Original post by HamzahPatel
Do you expect people to fly out to Syria and knock out a few guys? That's what the army is for

I expect radicalasation in European mosques to be dealt with.
Reply 47
Original post by Bazzel
Muslims were always the innocent little victims in every battle...

Don't quote stuff you dont know about pal
Reply 48
Original post by ItsRoger
Don't quote stuff you dont know about pal

No context justifies cutting peoples heads off.
Reply 49
Original post by #_ZINAN
http://sheikyermami.com/the-principle-of-abrogation-in-the-quran/

I guess this is biased as well because it doesn't go with your deluded agenda.

I answered this earlier on in the thread, go have a look.
Original post by #_ZINAN
What does Indonesia having the highest muslim population in the world have to do with the argument?

the answer is in the thing you quoted
Reply 51
Original post by Bazzel

Executions are still carried out all over the world, even in the most developed countries. They've all managed to find context?
Original post by Sportycb
I have been thinking about why there is so much hatred especially when we all go/went to school/Univerisity with lovely Muslims or work with really nice Muslims.
I have come to the conclusion it is a mixture of fear, the "well they started it" problem and the feeling of 'one set of rules for them and one set of rules for everyone else. I don't know if anyone else agrees.
This is my stand point. [Sorry it will be long]

Fear:

What with all the terrorist attacks being a bit too close to home the first reaction is to fear it happening to us. Hint for the comments of "deport all Muslims", "can't trust any Muslim", etc.
Please note, I am not saying that is right. Just think about all the Muslims you know of and how you think they deserve to be treated. Plus looking back in history this is how Germans were treated in the UK and Japanese were treated in the US during and between the WW1 and WW2. Many were treated appaulingly out of fear. Despite the fact most were refugees escaping their own countries.

The "well they started it" problem:

If you think about some of this is like children fighting. The issue I feel and looking back on my own experiences I have never been told by any Christian, Jew, Sikh, Buddhist, or any other religeon that what I am doing is wrong. However the only time I have felt like I have been critised in what I believe or have done has been by a Muslim. And when we are crisitised about something we believe we are quick to react and defend ourselves. It is human nature.
Reminds me of a picky flatmate who just couldn't understand why we were 'picking on her' as she would complain thag way we were cooking dinner (which only the person to eat was the person cooking) was not right or we were cleaning our own bedroom wrong and we would be quick to defend. She saw this defence as us bullying her.
At the same time I have been complimented so many times by Muslim friends on an above the knee dress I was wearing or how I had my hair was, despite it being against their own faith.
So just because we feel we are being attacked we shouldn't fight back. Just like when we tell a small child not to hit the bully back.

'One Set of Rules for Us and Another Set For EveryBody Else'

Related to my last point the other thing I have noticed is people get annoyed when immigrants come to the UK and expect the country to bend over backwards to suit their needs while if anyone was to do that in an Islamic country you would be arrested. We make every effort to welcome other cultures and perhaps that is our downfall. Perhaps, we should follow Islamic countries and be stricter in keeping our own culture. Especially when certain people are trying to introduce their own laws into the land. I am fully against Sharia law being introduced. If it is not part of British law I am not following it even if I am in one of these areas.
It is more an issue of intergration issue. You have to expect British people to get angry if you start chanting "UK Police go to hell!". I say 'British people' as if you are not offended or insulted by that then I don't know how you can consider yourself British. Just also imagine that happening in an Islamic country. I think the biggest irony would be if one of those people chanting claimed benefits as then the people they are suggestion should go to hell are actually effectively paying for their living.
Not only this but I am sure people find it difficult to see Islam as an accepting and charitiable religeon as a whole when Western Europe is slowly taking in Muslim Syrian refugees while their neighbouring Islamic countries have not taken in a single one of their brothers and sisters. Instead they must cross half a continent to find refuge. Yet these are the same countries that take in literally millions of Asian nationals to work for them. Take Qatar, the native Qataris are the 3rd biggest population in their own country but total refugee intake is 0.

One Last Point:
If any Muslim is feeling victimised. I really do feel sorry for you. My only suggestion is make sure your sure have friends from many different backgrounds. Never critise (do it in your head if you like) and instead give a compliment that goes against your beliefs and I am certain that will change entirely.

quite a simplistic analysis. how old are you out of interest?
Reply 53
the answer is in the thing you quoted

Are you basing Islamic influence on population?

Haven't I embarrassed and exposed you enough already?
Reply 54
Original post by Bazzel

You clearly don't know Islam or it's history then.
Original post by #_ZINAN
Are you basing Islamic influence on population?

Haven't I embarrassed and exposed you enough already?

Not sure if I should bother responding to you lol
Original post by Bazzel
A lot of anger stems from the fact Muslims are not doing enough to tackle extremism. And its always the same old response after every attack, 'Terroism has no religion', 'ISIS have nothing to do with Islam', even though ISIS worship Allah, follow the quran, pray etc.

Sorry but, what can a Muslim girl like me do about a group of terrorists in Syria? How exactly can I tackle extremism? Terrorism isn't the ordinary Muslim's fault.
Reply 57
Original post by #_ZINAN
You clearly don't know Islam or it's history then.

Or indeed British history! Many wars and many executions.
Reply 58
Original post by #_zinan
you clearly don't know islam or it's history then.

no historical context justifies beheading
Reply 59
Not sure if I should bother responding to you lol

Answer the question.

Why are you basing Islamic influence on population?

Why are you using the fact that Indonesia has the largest Islamic population in comparison to Saudi arabia, which has the 2 largest mosques in the world, the holiest place in Islam, the birthplace of their prophet and the location of their pilgrimage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending