The Student Room Group

medicine third application PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Hi, i'd really appreci8 if anyone could help me out

I applied to med in year 13 and got no offers. I took a gap year (currently in it) and am resitting one a level as I achieved AAB. I applied again for medicine in my gap year and am on the waiting list post interview for just one uni. However, I wont hear from the uni until results day but until then I am just going to expect the worst.
I did however get an offer for biomed at newcastle, which I know offer the transfer scheme (which I know is even more competitive).

So what should I do if I dont get an offer (which I prob wont)? should I take another gap year? or would it be possible to start biomed and apply for med at other unis whilst in my first year as well as make an application to transfer? if the latter, which unis accept applications whilst in first year and with these A level grades?

Would appreciate any advise on this as I am so lost. thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wishingwillow

I applied to med in year 13 and got no offers. I took a gap year (currently in it) and am resitting one a level as I achieved AAB. I applied again for medicine in my gap year and am on the waiting list post interview for just one uni. However, I wont hear from the uni until results day but until then I am just going to expect the worst.
I did however get an offer for biomed at newcastle, which I know offer the transfer scheme (which I know is even more competitive).

So what should I do if I dont get an offer (which I prob wont)? should I take another gap year? or would it be possible to start biomed and apply for med at other unis whilst in my first year as well as make an application to transfer? if the latter, which unis accept applications whilst in first year and with these A level grades?

I am in your boat now, just had 2 post interview rejections, with achieved grades A*AA
Original post by helloravers
I am in your boat now, just had 2 post interview rejections, with achieved grades A*AA

so what are you thinking of doing?
so what are you thinking of doing?

I dont know at all, I still want to do medicine but I want to get on and back into education now! Very gutted

As a current medicine student, I can tell you that content wise, having a degree in something like biomed will definitely help you out and make the first couple of years a lot clearer. With that being said, as a graduate, you are expected to fund part of the course so financially it isn't the best idea (unless of course you're in a comfortable position).

With grades at AAB/ABB, it may be advisable to take another gap year, either resit a couple more things, do some work experience, get a job etc and then apply for a foundation medicine course where the grade requirements are a little lower. They do several across the country, e.g. Kings, Nottingham, etc.

That may be your best bet but good luck with whatever you decide!

Honey I am in the exact same situation omg
Like my offer is from Newcastle too for biomed same situation

I don't know, I think I might go to uni and apply in first year along with the transfer option, or take a proper second gap year. Have a look at the unis, BSMS would accept an application for example, I think Plymouth and Exeter too, which are all resit accepting universities. If you had extenuating circs I would apply with those - you could apply to more unis. I hope the waiting list position comes through for you though!
Original post by helloravers
I dont know at all, I still want to do medicine but I want to get on and back into education now! Very gutted

I know what you mean, so desperate to get back into education!
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Honey I am in the exact same situation omg
Like my offer is from Newcastle too for biomed same situation

I don't know, I think I might go to uni and apply in first year along with the transfer option, or take a proper second gap year. Have a look at the unis, BSMS would accept an application for example, I think Plymouth and Exeter too, which are all resit accepting universities. If you had extenuating circs I would apply with those - you could apply to more unis. I hope the waiting list position comes through for you though!

Thanks, you too. when are you expecting to hear back from brighton? also, are you going to apply for student finance and start applying for newcastle accomodation soon? ahh this is so stressful! :s-smilie:
ahh if its hard applying the standard route can you imagine how even more competitive it will be this route?! :s-smilie: did you apply for med this year too?
Thanks, you too. when are you expecting to hear back from brighton? also, are you going to apply for student finance and start applying for newcastle accomodation soon? ahh this is so stressful! :s-smilie:

I don't know, because I might just not go and take another gap year, at this point I have no clue. I know you can apply for accommodation and student finance later, so I think I'll wait to see what Brighton say by the end of the month, then make my mind up. I'm just sitting here trying to look at the positives, I mean I have another year to hone my Korean and Japanese skills ^^'
Original post by AnnekaChan173
I don't know, because I might just not go and take another gap year, at this point I have no clue. I know you can apply for accommodation and student finance later, so I think I'll wait to see what Brighton say by the end of the month, then make my mind up. I'm just sitting here trying to look at the positives, I mean I have another year to hone my Korean and Japanese skills ^^'

i know what u mean, urrghh this is so stressful! when u know what ur gunna do let me know either way!
Just thought I should add, you cannot apply for courses whilst you are enrolled already in a course at university. So you would not be able to apply for medicine through UCAS whilst you are already on a biomed course.

EDIT: Obviously when it applies to graduate entry, then yes, you can.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by spacepirate-James
Just thought I should add, you cannot apply for courses whilst you are enrolled already in a course at university. So you would not be able to apply for medicine through UCAS whilst you are already on a biomed course.

Not completely true, I did meet someone at my Plymouth interview who was currently enrolled in a biomed course at kcl, so it is possible, however I don't know his circumstances.
Original post by spacepirate-James

Not true, how else do 3rd years apply for graduate entry medicine? you can't if you hold a deferred offer though. You have to check with the unis themselves, as a lot of unis wont accept an application from someone who is applying in the first year of a degree.

i know what u mean, urrghh this is so stressful! when u know what ur gunna do let me know either way!

No problem, I'll send a message!
hi
im on a gap year and applied for med and am currently holdiong no offers. please can someone let me know whether the best option is to take another gap year or to take up my biomed offer and apply whilst in first year? i know that the small number of unis that accept applications from firt year uni students are also the ones that accept AAB at A level. therfore, does it not matter whether i take a second gap year or apply as a first year uni student as my chances would be the same in both situations?

would appreci8 any advise i could get, just really confused atm as i dont kno wwhther to start booking accomodation and settiing up student finance.

Thanks!! :smile:
hi
im on a gap year and applied for med and am currently holdiong no offers. please can someone let me know whether the best option is to take another gap year or to take up my biomed offer and apply whilst in first year? i know that the small number of unis that accept applications from firt year uni students are also the ones that accept AAB at A level. therfore, does it not matter whether i take a second gap year or apply as a first year uni student as my chances would be the same in both situations?

would appreci8 any advise i could get, just really confused atm as i dont kno wwhther to start booking accomodation and settiing up student finance.

Thanks!! :smile:

If you take up an offer for first year and then get in to medicine then you will have used up your "gift" year from student finance.

That means that if things go wrong and you need to repeat a year later on then you wont receive funding.

If that's something that you can cope with financially then it's just a matter of asking yourself WHY you are so keen to start on a course with no intention of finishing it?

Did you get any feedback from your applications about why you didn't get any offers this year?
It's a bit how long is a piece of string. Get feedback and look at less expensive alternatives to improving your application for next year. If you go the bio med route, then are you prepared to finish the degree and exhaust your funding?
Reply 17
To provide you with some well rounded info/help/advice, we'd need a little extra information from you. Your stats. Where you previously applied and feedback for rejection. Post/pre interview rejection? Etc

If it's minor things you can improve with practice like your UKCAT/interview skills etc, then it's worth taking another gap year.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm taking a gap year due to poor ukcat. what did you guys do in your gap year?
im taking up a language and have relevant work experience in a hospital set up and i have a part time job which i can go full time.
Reply 19
Hey there!

I thought I'd pop a quick message to give some insight:

1) Have you looked at the Biomed course at St. Andrews? Once you finish it you can transfer into year 3 of the Manchester Uni Med course, not sure how competitive it is but I know they take quite a few students from St. Andrews. Plus you'd only have to do 2 years and then you'd be ready to go into Foundation training!

2) If you really think you want to do medicine, then take all the time in the world i.e. take another gap year. It may be difficult because it seems like all your friends are at Uni moving on with their lives but the last thing you want to do is a degree you don't really want to do (it's a tad soul destroying.....)

3) If you do decide to do a degree in Biomed before medicine, then remember that your funding changes i.e. you get zero from student finance once you start medicine (unless you do a very competitive GEM course). So again, if you really really want to do Medicine then wait another year and improve your application to a point were they can't refuse you.

Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending