The Student Room Group

How to cope with the gap between GCSE's and A-levels??

Hi, so a lot of people have been telling me to prepare myself for a huge gap between GCSE standard and A-level standard. Do you have any tips for this?
Btw the A-levels I'm hoping to do are Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and (maybe) Maths.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Don't want to sound complacent here, but to me it seems to only be a big gap for those who didn't do really well in GCSE's (I mean grades like B/C and no A/A*'s just in case you were wondering).
I spoke to someone regarding this and about maths in particular, they said I should have no problem doing really well at it If I perform like I do at GCSE.
Manz already worring bout A-levels.
Reply 3
Original post by Mayhem™
Don't want to sound complacent here, but to me it seems to only be a big gap for those who didn't do really well in GCSE's (I mean grades like B/C and no A/A*'s just in case you were wondering).
I spoke to someone regarding this and about maths in particular, they said I should have no problem doing really well at it If I perform like I do at GCSE.

How are the GCSEs going?
Original post by jamestg
How are the GCSEs going?

I feel like I can do really well, but not well enough to make that strong Cambridge application (not yet anyway :redface:)
Reply 5
Original post by Mayhem™
I feel like I can do really well, but not well enough to make that strong Cambridge application (not yet anyway :redface:)

You'll be fine as long as you do better than most of your year.

They will care far more about your AS results, entrance exam and interview.

I got really complacent and got no where near what I was expected. Luckily I was still in the top 20 of my year of 200. Thought it was the end of the world. Nope, going on a Cambridge residential IN 5 DAYS (beating people who got lots of A*s).
Work solid from day 1 as if you had exams next week
Original post by jamestg

I got really complacent and got no where near what I was expected. Luckily I was still in the top 20 of my year of 200. Thought it was the end of the world. Nope, going on a Cambridge residential IN 5 DAYS (beating people who got lots of A*s).

I'd say I'm the top 10 without a struggle(excuse the confidence, but my year isn't exactly a bunch of geniuses); If I get lucky and not remain complacent I could come out with one of the best set of results my school has ever had.

That sounds really exciting, I want to make it to Cambridge as it looks amazing!
Reply 8
Original post by Mayhem™
I'd say I'm the top 10 without a struggle(excuse the confidence, but my year isn't exactly a bunch of geniuses); If I get lucky and not remain complacent I could come out with one of the best set of results my school has ever had.

That sounds really exciting, I want to make it to Cambridge as it looks amazing!

Just keep swimming!
Cry
Cry some more
Cry again

Jokes, honestly as somebody who did really well at GCSE and got into one of the top sixth forms in the UK your GCSE's are not representative of how well you are doing at a level, because my first year of A levels were the worst, I did really bad, but I'm working on my mistakes now.
A levels are not a game of memory or how well you did at GCSE. A levels are a whole new playing field and from experience the people who do well are the people who preserve and don't give up just because they feel over whelmed or things get tough. Don't be like me and let good GCSE grades give you a false sense of security for A Levels. Fortunately for me I can retake along with my final year 13 exams but as for you, depending on the course and exam board you won't be able to retake, you may have to repeat a whole year. A levels have changed since when teachers took them or adults, so whoever told you that you'd do really well, the person isn't wrong, but they aren't right either, because there's no knowing with GCSE results honestly. Either way all the best, and perseverance is a virtue for A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mayhem™

what school is it ND?
you dont.... you dont cope .... there's just a shi*storm ahead
Honestly, if you're a hard worker it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to the higher difficulty. I never really found the jump to be too bad as the teachers know that there is a jump in difficulty and will accommodate for this too! Worry about your GCSEs first as doing well in these and making sure you have a good understanding of GCSE content will help with the transition to a-level
Just wanted to make a comment on the Oxbridge situation, I know sooo many people aspire to go there since it is a globally famous University, but I have a cousin there at the moment and she said she'd rather have gone to a different university, she said the lack of resources because they're too proud to ask for funding is insane and that there's none of the technology & resources offered at other Uni's
Original post by Synonym
you dont.... you dont cope .... there's just a shi*storm ahead

Lmaooooo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jamestg

regarding year groups. would this apply to sixth forms/colleges

for example say someone got AAAA in a very good sixth form and someone got the same results in another underperforming one and both had same UMS. would they select the underperforming individual?
Original post by Username3097486
regarding year groups. would this apply to sixth forms/colleges

for example say someone got AAAA in a very good sixth form and someone got the same results in another underperforming one and both had same UMS. would they select the underperforming individual?

There are other factors, however based on that the underperforming one would be more likely because they have the odds stacked against them.

But this is where it's complex and mysterious - best bet is an admissions tutor or @jneill
Original post by jamestg

If i may ask a question,how does one know they are the top students in the school?Does the school notify them?

Also does Cambridge take the school's top performing students in mind?
Original post by Blancosdos
If i may ask a question,how does one know they are the top students in the school?Does the school notify them?

Also does Cambridge take the school's top performing students in mind?

My school said 10% of students got 6 or more A/A* grades. I was within that and my year was 200 big.
Original post by jamestg
My school said 10% of students got 6 or more A/A* grades. I was within that and my year was 200 big.

Oh so the school notifies you.Thats a shame because my school is a crap one filled with idiots to be honest,and i doubt they'd tell us.For most subjects they just want us to get a C instead of A*/A,so i don't think i'd get informed if i was one of the top

Anyways thanks.

PM me please,i want to enquire about one of the subject choices that you do(that i am looking to take)

Quick Reply

Latest