The Student Room Group

Dating a girl with kids

Hey there

About 2 weeks ago I met a girl. We're both 23 and we've been texting a few hours each day since then. One thing led to another she invited to her place last week and she wants me to come again tomorrow evening. I like her, she is kind and looks good. Surprinsingly, she thinks the same thing about me (doesn't happen very often)! She told me she was looking for something serious and wanted to take her time. So far so good.

But she already has 2 kids. It's not something I take lightly. It's a lot of responsibilities and it's usually a bad situation. I was wondering whether it's a good idea to start a relationship with her. I could easily fall in love with her and I know for sure that she feels the same. I want to take my time too and take things as they come. I know that I've only known her for 2 weeks and I'm already talking about living with her kids it can seem ridiculous but I would like to know what you guys think before developing feelings for the girl. I don't need a break-up at the moment even though I would like to try because I really like her.

If you dated a girl with kids, would you do it again?
If you didn't, would you do it?
Why?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

:goodluck: with your dating
Reply 2
I think its ok. Reason being you did not know her before she had her kids. If you had known her before she had kids and grew feelings for her, then she had kids with someone else but you still went with her... that would be a bit too painful (imo anyway).

But, in your situation I don't think it would be hurtful towards yourself at all. So, go for it.
You shouldn't be worried about her kids. Cos they are her kids - she will not expect you to look after them etc. Give it a go :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey there

About 2 weeks ago I met a girl. We're both 23 and we've been texting a few hours each day since then. One thing led to another she invited to her place last week and she wants me to come again tomorrow evening. I like her, she is kind and looks good. Surprinsingly, she thinks the same thing about me (doesn't happen very often)! She told me she was looking for something serious and wanted to take her time. So far so good.

But she already has 2 kids. It's not something I take lightly. It's a lot of responsibilities and it's usually a bad situation. I was wondering whether it's a good idea to start a relationship with her. I could easily fall in love with her and I know for sure that she feels the same. I want to take my time too and take things as they come. I know that I've only known her for 2 weeks and I'm already talking about living with her kids it can seem ridiculous but I would like to know what you guys think before developing feelings for the girl. I don't need a break-up at the moment even though I would like to try because I really like her.

Why?

Thank you

I think you already have the feelings, it's ok son. To be extremely happy in life with love, there is also a risk that at some point you will be extremely unhappy. It's life, we don't really grow without taking that leap of faith.
Reply 5
Thanks lads.

I've been single for a long time and for once I like a girl who likes me back. I would be stupid no to try at least.

Thanks again. Still willing to hear other people's opinions though.
Hey there

Why?

Thank you

Never never never never because you can't make your own kids with her
Reply 7
Personally I wouldn't. You'll never be her top priority.
Reply 8
sensitive thread for me as i have kids but my partner took me and my 2 kids on and now we have our own
Reply 9
Avoid at all costs. I did, thank god.
Original post by shawtyb
sensitive thread for me as i have kids but my partner took me and my 2 kids on and now we have our own

Aw thats lovely to hear :smile: x
You can always give it a go at the end of the day you dont have to stay in the relationship and can leave at any point.
Original post by samina_ay
Aw thats lovely to hear :smile: x

it is , i didnt expect him to as he was only 23 at the time so quite a young age to settle down but his step dad took on him and his two brothers when they was growning up and had 3 more of his own with their mum and theyv been married for over 10 years so it can be done
Original post by shawtyb

:u:
Original post by shawtyb
it is , i didnt expect him to as he was only 23 at the time so quite a young age to settle down but his step dad took on him and his two brothers when they was growning up and had 3 more of his own with their mum and theyv been married for over 10 years so it can be done

Exactlyy
I would if I liked her, but Id have weighed up the differences.
You need to realise they come as a package and that a readymade family might not be what you want.
Just be honest about it before you get in too deep and am sure she will understand.
Hey there

Why?

Thank you

I think your being an infatuated male - also known as a fool.

Back him a bit here Casanova and just look how ridiculous your sounding. And no, not about dating a woman with kids. Im talking about you talking about moving in with a woman after two weeks? TWO WEEKS? Never mind the kids, you dont know this woman. Your both still on best behaviour at this stage, best foot forward and all that.

I think you need to back up and actually take a breath on this.

As to the kids. Well it depends on how much involvement the father has. And if he is involved and involved heavily it can be another issue there as well.

As for dating women with children - well its understandably different and not for everyone but if you think you cna handle it then go for it. But you run the risk of the children getting attached as well and you to them.

Im not saying you cant make it work. But i think you need to step back and actually look at this properly
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks everyone

Original post by silverbolt
I think your being an infatuated male - also known as a fool.

Back him a bit here Casanova and just look how ridiculous your sounding. And no, not about dating a woman with kids. Im talking about you talking about moving in with a woman after two weeks? TWO WEEKS? Never mind the kids, you dont know this woman. Your both still on best behaviour at this stage, best foot forward and all that.

I think you need to back up and actually take a breath on this.

As to the kids. Well it depends on how much involvement the father has. And if he is involved and involved heavily it can be another issue there as well.

As for dating women with children - well its understandably different and not for everyone but if you think you cna handle it then go for it. But you run the risk of the children getting attached as well and you to them.

Im not saying you cant make it work. But i think you need to step back and actually look at this properly

Lmao. I'm not gonna say anything cause I think I wasn't clear. English is not my mother tongue. But you didn't understand what I was trying to say. No way I'm gonna move in with her. Not today, not in 6 months. You really thought I was going to move in with a girl I've known for 2 weeks?! Ridiculous!

What I meant was that BEFORE thinking about what could maybe happen between us, I need to know if I'm ok with the fact that she already has kids.
Thanks everyone

Lmao. I'm not gonna say anything cause I think I wasn't clear. English is not my mother tongue. But you didn't understand what I was trying to say. No way I'm gonna move in with her. Not today, not in 6 months. You really thought I was going to move in with a girl I've known for 2 weeks?! Ridiculous!

What I meant was that BEFORE thinking about what could maybe happen between us, I need to know if I'm ok with the fact that she already has kids.

Phew!!!!!

Thats ok then.

If you can handle that she has children, then go for it. Take the chance while youve got it
Reply 19
Original post by shawtyb

i love hearing things like this :h:

Quick Reply