The Student Room Group

Bad A levels but aiming for Law?

xxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Vacation schemes and mini ps are competitive, make sure you cast your net wide. Its good to get work experience becayse then you have it to discuss in any interview. probably even more importnat for you as you don have any other law exp. I think with non law anyway you apply at the end of your 3rd year, so you will know whether you have a first by then. If you have a 2:1 the everyone else will so you have to make yourself stand out.

1. is it worth pursuing? Yes if you know its what you wnat to do and can get a decent training.
2. the choice is up to you whether you wnat to do the GDL. I would prefer the employer to pay.

It's competitive, but by no means impossible. Only you cna decide if ylou wnat to compete.Others are going to have to comment on whether your a levels will harm you even if you have a first. The poster JS will know. I missed out the fact it was City law and high pay which motivated you. Some of the top firms will look at A levels. It might exclide you from the top firms, but there are many others, that still pay well.

You will still need to make sure your ecs are in good shape thoughplus good applications and interviews.

You need to do more research and that will help you decide if its the way forward for you..
(edited 8 years ago)
My own opinion, as someone who has poor A levels, but was a mature student, is that the A level results will effect your chances in a the traditional routes into city law type work.

You've already shown yourself to be a flawed human being who didn't work very hard for exams. Of course city law firms need dedication and consistency which you lack currently.

I know you are on track for a first now.

Having your A levels won't bar you from a career in law though but you would need to apply yourself to it in order to break into city law firms.

You might have to go in sideways a bit.

Depends if you want it enough.
Mid you just want a job that pays big bucks, then I think you are at a disadvantage with the trad firms but totally in with a shout if you are dedicated and build up law work ex

Just go out and get that exp don't wait for it to come to you. Again, you wd need to show initiative.

It's all do able but you may not be able to walk in to it with your A levels so, can you be bothered?

That's the essential question all round here.

Because as a trainee in a commercial law firm, indeed Al law firms you do need to be bothered!

Generally, all trainees have stacks of evidence that they can be bothered with law.

You don't. Solve that situation if you really want to work in a top law firm

Although I suspect you just want a job that pays loads!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you both! As much as I hate to admit, I had a feeling it was also my lack of drive and focus into Law - but thats only because every now and then I get contradicting information ("Yes you should do Law you have great uni grades" or "No be realistic, your A levels will just be auto filtered") from other people at my uni. I will try contacting other resources of work experience :smile:
I would say try and get work exp in different spheres and see what you are drawn to. You can always come back to law later. There are law firms that won't rule you out for sure.

But you will still have to really want to do it and you will still need lots of great ECs and a variety of work ex

Good luck with why you decide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I think this is the best advice I've received. I'm definitely going to try look elsewhere because the truth is I DO want a job that pays mega bucks and it would be awfully unfair of me to pursue a job, get the job and not really want it - compared to someone who worked just as hard and doesn't want it. Thanks happyinthehaze :smile:
Reply 6
It isn't just about the money - only in corporate Law. When I thought I would pursue a career in Law I originally though something along the lines of human rights and making a change in the world etc. I didn't realise that these jobs are quite limited in comparison, there are barristers for this and even then it doesn't necessarily mean you will get a job in that field. It's not that I don't want to be a lawyer and I'm doing it JUST for the money but rather my field of Law is niche in the UK and doesn't pay as well as graduate Corporate law. But I appreciate the feedback, I'm going to research other careers that fit my skill set such as marketing or consulting (which I know is just as competitive in some cases but I won't have to pay tens of thousands of £ for Law School to risk not getting a job).
Original post by kitkatsal
It isn't just about the money - only in corporate Law. When I thought I would pursue a career in Law I originally though something along the lines of human rights and making a change in the world etc. I didn't realise that these jobs are quite limited in comparison, there are barristers for this and even then it doesn't necessarily mean you will get a job in that field. It's not that I don't want to be a lawyer and I'm doing it JUST for the money but rather my field of Law is niche in the UK and doesn't pay as well as graduate Corporate law. But I appreciate the feedback, I'm going to research other careers that fit my skill set such as marketing or consulting (which I know is just as competitive in some cases but I won't have to pay tens of thousands of £ for Law School to risk not getting a job).

I think thats better. If you go for law then realise it really is competitive and if you arent prepared they will be more commited and more focused. A good law firm will pay your LPC fees. If you heart isnt in it, then find soemthing else.. It doesnt come across that you really appreciate the legal environment, so do try and get some work experience if you can to give you a better idea.

Look for a job you will enjoy.
Reply 8
Hi guys I just want to ask what a levels would I need to become a paralegal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending