The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

BM5 Medicine 2016 offer holders

Hey

Haven't seen another thread on here for this yet, just thought it would be good for all the current offer holders to get to know each other before the start of semester!

I'm Abi, 24, from the Midlands. Will be starting the BM5 course this September so just preparing myself for the move with my partner and our 3 dogs :smile:

Look forward to meeting you all!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Excellent! Thanks for making this thread Abi! And looking forward to meeting you and your dogs (hopefully) soon!

I'm a graduate student from Canada. Haven't firmed my choice yet but looking forward to doing that v soon! Curious to know what people are thinking in terms of accommodation (e.g. on campus/ocean village / flatmates etc).
(edited 8 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi guys. I'm Alan, I'll be 36 by the time we start in September! Mature non-grad.

Trying to work out the odds of being the oldest...I know there are a couple of younger 30 somethings but not found anyone closer to 40 than 30 yet!
Hey guys! Looks like I'm the youngest on here haha, 17 and just doing my A2's so will be a school leaver. So hoping I get the results as I firmed Southampton and absolutely love it there. I've applied for mayflower halls as my first choice as its in the city and I think that'll be better for me, have you guys applied to accommodation yet? :smile:
Reply 4
We're looking at privately rented houses because of the dogs!! It's so expensive though! Have you all sent your forms off and applied for student finance?
Ah okay! Yes have applied for student finance but still waiting on the course being made available to select before it'll come through, and no havent fully completed the forms yet
Hello! I have got an offer from southampton :smile: and am doing my A2's this year - I was wondering if any of you have seen the facilities of the med. school as none of it was open on the open day last summer?
Original post by Amanda1997
Hello! I have got an offer from southampton :smile: and am doing my A2's this year - I was wondering if any of you have seen the facilities of the med. school as none of it was open on the open day last summer?

We don't allow visitors to the academic block because it is in the hospital and we can't have 200 people looking around! There isn't really a "medical school" to look round on campus either.

This is the video I'd recommend. Hilarious as the students being toured around are medical students haha

[video="youtube;aFY2_0mjn1g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFY2_0mjn1g[/video]
Thank you - it was good to see where i would be!

I was just wondering - how do you find the travellinng between the hospital and halls?

Original post by Neostigmine
We don't allow visitors to the academic block because it is in the hospital and we can't have 200 people looking around! There isn't really a "medical school" to look round on campus either.

This is the video I'd recommend. Hilarious as the students being toured around are medical students haha

[video="youtube;aFY2_0mjn1g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFY2_0mjn1g[/video]
Thank you - it was good to see where i would be!

I was just wondering - how do you find the travellinng between the hospital and halls?

40 minute walk. 15 minute bike ride. 15 minute bus and you get a free bus pass in halls anyway. Going with all the other students in your year... It's not a problem even remotely :nah:.

You're at SGH 3/5 days a week in first year, 2/5 in second year. The other time is at Highfield.

They also group it, so you should very rarely if ever have a day where you need to get from one site to another. You're either at SGH all day, or Highfield.

Southampton has 2 universities in the city. It's buses are ran by Uni of Southampton. It's totally geared up and ready for students and everything you could need, including travel!
40 minute walk. 15 minute bike ride. 15 minute bus and you get a free bus pass in halls anyway. Going with all the other students in your year... It's not a problem even remotely :nah:.

You're at SGH 3/5 days a week in first year, 2/5 in second year. The other time is at Highfield.

They also group it, so you should very rarely if ever have a day where you need to get from one site to another. You're either at SGH all day, or Highfield.

Southampton has 2 universities in the city. It's buses are ran by Uni of Southampton. It's totally geared up and ready for students and everything you could need, including travel!

This is really helpful, thank you! Is there any particular accommodation you'd recommend for med students?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok that makes sense! :smile: Do you find there is a 'community' feel around the halls and city or not really as the campus isn't all on 'one blob' if you see what I mean? :smile: And hank you!!
Original post by marybeth97
This is really helpful, thank you! Is there any particular accommodation you'd recommend for med students?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. They're all much of a muchness. Choose with your personality instead. Travel and go into town a lot? Mayflower. Sporty and like company? Wessex. Sporty, love new things? Gateway. Love nature and quiet? Glen. Want to get a really good group of friends in a quiet accom near major transport and town, but don't mind travelling a little to campus? Small halls.

It's all the same in the end. You're only here for 8 months (including christmas and easter when you're not here anyway). Most people are happy anywhere even if they get the opposite of what they wanted. It seems like a huge deal now and will for a few weeks when you start, but ultimately it doesn't really matter too much :nah:.

Ah ok that makes sense! :smile: Do you find there is a 'community' feel around the halls and city or not really as the campus isn't all on 'one blob' if you see what I mean? :smile: And hank you!!

Yeah definitely. In halls, campus and on nights out. Maybe not just in town shopping, because West Quay draws a lot of people. We're a city campus ( the official term for "not one blob") but that doesn't make us any less unified. Especially when as med students you spend much of your daily life together. I don't think you can go out annywhere and not see someone you know.
Not really. They're all much of a muchness. Choose with your personality instead. Travel and go into town a lot? Mayflower. Sporty and like company? Wessex. Sporty, love new things? Gateway. Love nature and quiet? Glen. Want to get a really good group of friends in a quiet accom near major transport and town, but don't mind travelling a little to campus? Small halls.

It's all the same in the end. You're only here for 8 months (including christmas and easter when you're not here anyway). Most people are happy anywhere even if they get the opposite of what they wanted. It seems like a huge deal now and will for a few weeks when you start, but ultimately it doesn't really matter too much :nah:.

Yeah definitely. In halls, campus and on nights out. Maybe not just in town shopping, because West Quay draws a lot of people. We're a city campus ( the official term for "not one blob":wink: but that doesn't make us any less unified. Especially when as med students you spend much of your daily life together. I don't think you can go out annywhere and not see someone you know.

Aah ok - thank you for answering all my questions!!

Yeah definitely. In halls, campus and on nights out. Maybe not just in town shopping, because West Quay draws a lot of people. We're a city campus ( the official term for "not one blob") but that doesn't make us any less unified. Especially when as med students you spend much of your daily life together. I don't think you can go out annywhere and not see someone you know.

Okay great, that's really useful - thank you so much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Hey! I'm a graduate who's firmed too! Exciting.

Looking to get a house in the area so if anyone is looking for a houseshare, let me know!

Cat
Reply 16
Are any of you thinking of joining any societies at southampton? They have a good list of them all on the Med Soc website
Original post by abi_lodge
Are any of you thinking of joining any societies at southampton? They have a good list of them all on the Med Soc website

This is a must, I think! A lot of what gives Southampton the feel of a 'community' is down to the societies; the socials are killer, too!

There are loads of really good SUSU societies that you will see during bunfight (a kind of societies 'fair', for lack of a better word), but medics have their own bunfight where you'll see all the societies within MedSoc (there might be a few missing from the MedSoc website). Check out the SUSU website for the uni societies, as well.
Reply 18
Original post by 9910224
This is a must, I think! A lot of what gives Southampton the feel of a 'community' is down to the societies; the socials are killer, too!

There are loads of really good SUSU societies that you will see during bunfight (a kind of societies 'fair', for lack of a better word), but medics have their own bunfight where you'll see all the societies within MedSoc (there might be a few missing from the MedSoc website). Check out the SUSU website for the uni societies, as well.

Thats great :smile: i'm really interested in joining the girls medic basketball team and also noticed a wilderness medicine society that sounded pretty cool! Cant wait to start uni and get into it all!
How large is the SotonMedSoc? Is it an easy extrapolation to say approx. 200 students per year x 5 = 1000ish? There are a wealth of societies on the website so must take some dedicated people to both run and attend them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending