The Student Room Group

Laptop for university??

I will be studying philosophy, so not a tech-heavy course! I can't touch-type so will be handwriting all my lecture notes anyway. I thought I could take my iPad to type essays on because that is what I currently use for my school essays. So, do I really need a laptop in addition?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Platopus
I will be studying philosophy, so not a tech-heavy course! I can't touch-type so will be handwriting all my lecture notes anyway. I thought I could take my iPad to type essays on because that is what I currently use for my school essays. So, do I really need a laptop in addition?

Hmmm… well… you could always use your iPad, but you should think about the practicality of typing so much content on a touchscreen device like an iPad! It might be a little too slow to be able to not get frustrated with. However, you could always fix this by getting a bluetooth keyboard! You could even buy a case that props your iPad up and type away without spending loads of money on a laptop. :h:
Reply 2
Original post by iEthan
Hmmm… well… you could always use your iPad, but you should think about the practicality of typing so much content on a touchscreen device like an iPad! It might be a little too slow to be able to not get frustrated with. However, you could always fix this by getting a bluetooth keyboard! You could even buy a case that props your iPad up and type away without spending loads of money on a laptop. :h:

Thanks - I'm actually slower at typing on a computer/laptop keyboard than I am on an iPad though! My main concern s storage, will 128GB be enough?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
If your own work fills that, then you're too good to ask advice here.

The things I'd worry about (speaking as a Luddite) are the storage of other documents or videos you might need in your research, and compatibility between your files and anyone you'd be working with. IIRC, Apple doesn't like using Word, so that might cause problems unless you've already figured out how to get around them. I'm thinking now about getting access to printers, doing group projects, sending stuff to a professor that he/she can't open, etc.

As for the keyboard, I just saw on Apple.com a case that had a rubber keyboard on the inside of one panel. No idea if it's easier than skating all over the screen, but potentially worth a look.
Reply 4
Original post by Camilli
If your own work fills that, then you're too good to ask advice here.

The things I'd worry about (speaking as a Luddite) are the storage of other documents or videos you might need in your research, and compatibility between your files and anyone you'd be working with. IIRC, Apple doesn't like using Word, so that might cause problems unless you've already figured out how to get around them. I'm thinking now about getting access to printers, doing group projects, sending stuff to a professor that he/she can't open, etc.

As for the keyboard, I just saw on Apple.com a case that had a rubber keyboard on the inside of one panel. No idea if it's easier than skating all over the screen, but potentially worth a look.

I have Word on my iPad because you can buy it as an app so hopefully that would sort out any compatibility issues.

For philosophy, I don't think there would be too many videos/other media.

Would it be harder to access printers with an iPad than a laptop?

I don't think I'll get a keyboard because I'm much faster at typing on my iPad screen than I am on a keyboard.
Reply 5
Think about getting cloud backup-- SugarSync or something like that. I believe that one quirk of iPads is that they don't export files to hard drives very well. You don't want a term-long research essay going "poof".

Would it be harder to access printers with an iPad than a laptop?

You can get printers which connect via wifi. My current one does, which means I can print from any device really. I've just got to download and install an app.

My first thought was storage.
Reply 7
Original post by Tiger Rag
You can get printers which connect via wifi. My current one does, which means I can print from any device really. I've just got to download and install an app.

My first thought was storage.

Yes, my main concern is storage too. Would you say that 128GB is enough?
I would get a windows laptop and an external mouse because long documents on ipad is a pain. I use ipad for notes and laptop for typing up. Having both lets you put books, articles etc on ipad so you can read them as you type up.
It's worth dropping an email to your university's IT department to ask if ipads are compatible with their system. In some places, you need windows/Internet Explorer to get onto the WiFi network or access intranet systems like moodle and blackboard.
Yes, my main concern is storage too. Would you say that 128GB is enough?

Storage is not a problem. Documents i.e essays are going to take up very little space I doubt they will amount to 2gb over three years.
The Uni will give you storage on its system plis you have whatever Apple give you in the cloud?

Its other forms of files such as mobies and photos that take up the space.

You can also buy an external hdd and get an extra 500gb, 1tb, 2tb, but check its compatible. Apple make it hard.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Storage is not a problem. Documents i.e essays are going to take up very little space I doubt they will amount to 2gb over three years.
The Uni will give you storage on its system plis you have whatever Apple give you in the cloud?

Its other forms of files such as mobies and photos that take up the space.

You can also buy an external hdd and get an extra 500gb, 1tb, 2tb, but check its compatible. Apple make it hard.

I don't think I'll be needing many photos for a philosophy course and not sure what a mobie is, sorry. Thank you though, it is comforting to hear that.
Reply 12
Original post by prospectivemed56
It's worth dropping an email to your university's IT department to ask if ipads are compatible with their system. In some places, you need windows/Internet Explorer to get onto the WiFi network or access intranet systems like moodle and blackboard.

Thank you. What are moodle and blackboard? Do you think I will need them for my course (philosophy)?
Thank you. What are moodle and blackboard? Do you think I will need them for my course (philosophy)?

They're websites that are accessible only to students and staff members; some courses use them to upload lecture slides, assignments, reading lists, etc. You theoretically should be fine using Safari on an iPad, but a lot of these systems are quite old, and a few years ago my university was using a version that would only work with Internet Explorer 6! We also had an awful wifi network that required you to be running a particular set of encryption settings, so basically was limited only to laptops (you couldn't connect phones or tablets). However, the IT department will hopefully be able to tell you all of the specifics, and advise if a particular setup might cause difficulties. Things out to be a bit more modern now in any case!
I don't think I'll be needing many photos for a philosophy course and not sure what a mobie is, sorry. Thank you though, it is comforting to hear that.

ah another typo it was meant to be movies.

Ring fence your money, see what its like at uni and you can buy one if the Ipad isnt enough for you. Its what suits you which is most important.
My guess is that the school's IT department will either send out a memo or have a spot on their website with their recommendations. If not, you can always phone them.
Also, computer companies love to give discounts to students if they can sell a ton of units, and there might be a good deal or three available when the year starts.
Reply 16
Original post by prospectivemed56
They're websites that are accessible only to students and staff members; some courses use them to upload lecture slides, assignments, reading lists, etc. You theoretically should be fine using Safari on an iPad, but a lot of these systems are quite old, and a few years ago my university was using a version that would only work with Internet Explorer 6! We also had an awful wifi network that required you to be running a particular set of encryption settings, so basically was limited only to laptops (you couldn't connect phones or tablets). However, the IT department will hopefully be able to tell you all of the specifics, and advise if a particular setup might cause difficulties. Things out to be a bit more modern now in any case!

I see, I will have to ask. Thank you :smile:

Original post by 999tigger
ah another typo it was meant to be movies.

Ring fence your money, see what its like at uni and you can buy one if the Ipad isnt enough for you. Its what suits you which is most important.

Oh right. Hopefully my course won't require me to store any movies and or if it does, I won't have to store them permanently. I think you are right about remaining open to the possibility I will need a laptop so I will wait and see. Thank you.
I also suggest you to use laptop, it is more convenient for typing and no memory issues for storing large files. Tablets are good for quick surfing, reading and small typing work but not practical to type for hours.
I own a laptop and my Dual Screen Smartphone(Siam 7x) is good enough for web surfing fast and other works.
It provide kindle like e reader that I use for reading books.
Reply 18
Original post by PeterLevine
I also suggest you to use laptop, it is more convenient for typing and no memory issues for storing large files. Tablets are good for quick surfing, reading and small typing work but not practical to type for hours.
I own a laptop and my Dual Screen Smartphone(Siam 7x) is good enough for web surfing fast and other works.
It provide kindle like e reader that I use for reading books.

My main problem is that I actually cannot type on computer keyboards very well! I can, however, type on an iPad keyboard. I do all essay subjects for A-level so I regularly write essays of up to 5000 words on my iPad and often get 6 essays a week. So, I don't think typing will be a problem.

The memory issue, I am interested in though. My iPad has 128GB storage which I thought would be more than enough, as in a philosophy degree I am likely to only be storing essays. What large files would I be likely to need in this degree which could fill up such a large amount of space?
It's not just the size of the files-- it's storing them away from the iPad so you can retrieve them elsewhere, as well as making sure they stay safe if your machine is broken or stolen. Figure out either a backup physical external drive or a cloud deal that will help you if the worst happens. Also check-- some cloud memory companies will only back up your machine. That is, if you lose it, you need their help to get it all back. Some others will allow access from any computer, so you can print when travelling, download onto a flash drive, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending