The Student Room Group

Simpson's Rule OCR MEI Numerical Methods

I've just been entirely defeated by an NM past paper question (Jan 2007 Q7).

I've found the wrong Simpson's estimates. Rather than finding them for h = 0.5 and h = 0.25, I have seemingly found them for h = 0.25 and h = 0.125 (respectively) instead.

Having checked my textbook and the specification to work out why, they contradict each other. The textbook says that Simpson's rule with n strips, SnS_n is given by

Sn=2Mn+Tn3S_n = \frac{2M_n + T_n}{3}

Where TnT_n and MnM_n are the trapezium and midpoint estimates.

The specification however says that

S2n=2Mn+Tn3S_{2n} = \frac{2M_n + T_n}{3}

Where MnM_n and TnT_n are defined as before and S2nS_{2n} is the Simpson's estimate with 2n strips.

So what is the strip number in Simpson's Rule? Is it the number of strips used in the Midpoint and Trapezium rule to get that Simpson's estimate, or is it twice that number? The latter would give me the right answer but the former is what I was taught.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 16Characters....
I've just been entirely defeated by an NM past paper question (Jan 2007 Q7).

I've found the wrong Simpson's estimates. Rather than finding them for h = 0.5 and h = 0.25, I have seemingly found them for h = 0.25 and h = 0.125 (respectively) instead.

Having checked my textbook and the specification to work out why, they contradict each other. The textbook says that Simpson's rule with n strips, SnS_n is given by

Sn=2Mn+Tn3S_n = \frac{2M_n + T_n}{3}

Where TnT_n and MnM_n are the trapezium and midpoint estimates.

The specification however says that

S2n=2Mn+Tn3S_{2n} = \frac{2M_n + T_n}{3}

Where MnM_n and TnT_n are defined as before and S2nS_{2n} is the Simpson's estimate with 2n strips.

So what is the strip number in Simpson's Rule? Is it the number of strips used in the Midpoint and Trapezium rule to get that Simpson's estimate, or is it twice that number? The latter would give me the right answer but the former is what I was taught.

the former is correct. the mark scheme must be wrong
Reply 2
Original post by 16Characters....

Original post by HapaxOromenon2

I'm confused as well now: this, this and this say it is S2nS_{2n} and the explanation given in the latter link makes complete sense.
Original post by HapaxOromenon2

Original post by Zacken
I'm confused as well now: this, this and this say it is S2nS_{2n} and the explanation given in the latter link makes complete sense.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest