The Student Room Group

Help!

I am so insanely bored at uni in Sheffield. I have tried sports and societies but the people are either childish idiots or have their friend groups already.
All I seem to do is sit in the library and go to work, about 12 hours per week.

Would love some advice, don't think I can take it for much longer. Everyone else seems to be in relationships and have loads of friends. Maybe its cos im a little older at 25.

I just don't like the way people live, drinking and acting like idiots at the weekend. I'd rather use the money to do something worthwhile, but no one else seems to have the same idea

Cheers
Original post by n2179

I just don't like the way people live, drinking and acting like idiots at the weekend. I'd rather use the money to do something worthwhile, but no one else seems to have the same idea

Cheers

How did you miss out making frineds in the first year have you made an effort to meet people?

Most of them are young and want fun, but you havent given an idea of what you like to do or what you consider worthwhile? If they dont do it at Uni then maybe outside? There will be like minded people imo you just have to find them.

I bet there are many thousands of post grad students your age? You need to keep on making the effort to meet people. Once you find one you like then you cna use their network to find others.
Reply 2
Yeah, that's true. I suppose I just have to keep looking. Well I tried three different sports, but the guys all had their own groups already. Also societies. I often wonder if there is something wrong with me. But there definitely isn't. I have just booked a big travel trip in the summer so its all good.

Suppose its not easy when the flatmates have been rubbish for two years and everyone else seems to have their groups already

The two friends I had now spend all their time with girlfriends, so I don't bother anymore.
I'm going to assume you're at UoS but even if you're at Hallam the same kind of stuff applies from what I've heard.

Try and make it through until the end of this year because honestly it will be much more difficult to make new friends during the last term as there's not going to be as many people going to GIAG events and everyone is studying hard. At the beginning of next year though start going to the smaller societies, things like partner dancing (e.g. Salsa or Swing), also learning languages through Language for All or similar is a great way to meet people. University of Sheffield Enterprise also seems to be a good way to make friends.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice :smile:

I'm actually at Hallam but the advice does apply. Fingers crossed I will be put with some better flatmates next year in the halls. Yeah, I have three different societies planned for next year but work does tend to get in the way!

Salsa would be good haha. Have tried it in Andalucía and Guatemala and wasn't very good but it was certainly fun!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending