The Student Room Group

What should be done for the steel industry in Port Talbot?

I personally think they should close it down.
- We can't afford to nationalize it, the UK government is broke.
- It's a low value added product
- 80% of the UK economy is now in the service sector (i don't agree with it but it is what it is).
- We have close allies who produce steel plus China has been very efficient in the area for years.
- Putting on tariffs for steel might lead to a trade war we might lose out on in other areas of the economy i.e car sales to China for example.

Your views?

Scroll to see replies

If nobody will buy it, close it, but not entirely. It should be bought by the GI for a trivially small amount and then maintained to minimise cost but keep it possible to be fired back up

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Bill_Gates

- 80% of the UK economy is now in the service sector (i don't agree with it but it is what it is).
- We have close allies who produce steel plus China has been very efficient in the area for years.
- Putting on tariffs for steel might lead to a trade war we might lose out on in other areas of the economy i.e car sales to China for example.

Your views?

It definitely should be protected, but not at any cost however.

1) Tariffs on Chinese steel should be increased- the government should not have vetoed to increase these, although they probably feared retaliations from the Chinese including decreased future investment in the UK if they did increase tariffs.
2) Greater energy subsidies should be given for steel production.

I don't believe full nationalisation would be viable but partial nationalisation might give some breathing space for the employees and for any prospective buyers for Tata infrastructure in the UK. Although Chinese steel may be cheaper it is vital for our defence and economy that we are reasonably sufficient in producing steel. The steel made in the UK could be pivotal in future infrastructure projects.
Original post by DBR247

1) Tariffs on Chinese steel should be increased- the government should not have vetoed to increase these, although they probably feared retaliations from the Chinese including decreased future investment in the UK if they did increase tariffs.

I don't believe full nationalisation would be viable but partial nationalisation might give some breathing space for the employees and for any prospective buyers for Tata infrastructure in the UK. Although Chinese steel may be cheaper it is vital for our defence and economy that we are reasonably sufficient in producing steel. The steel made in the UK could be pivotal in future infrastructure projects.

I hope you're voting leave then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by DBR247

you think we should subsidise an industry which isn't paying it's way? you do know we have a tory government.
Our government is broke.
you think we should subsidise an industry which isn't paying it's way? you do know we have a tory government.
Our government is broke.

No matter who is in power the government is always broke as it never has any money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our government is broke.

The government could easily afford to buy Port Talbot, but:

1. it's illegal under EU law

2. it would bring no obvious important benefit to the UK
Nationalise it, run it at a loss, slash foreign aid and leave the EU to recuperate the costs.

Usually I would let failing businesses go under, but steel is important and pretty much every first rate military power produces its own steel so in the event we ever did get blockaded, we could still produce weapons and armaments. Think I am crazy and sabre-rattling? I don't care, go to hell.
Reply 8
Original post by Observatory
The government could easily afford to buy Port Talbot, but:

1. it's illegal under EU law

2. it would bring no obvious important benefit to the UK

any government can afford to buy anything but it's only right for governments who are running a SURPLUS.

So essentially the UK is BROKE.
any government can afford to buy anything but it's only right for governments who are running a SURPLUS.

This argument could be used to justify scrapping foreign aid or kicking out refugees who have a net worth of less than 350k and no degree.

Even if the government didn't want to increase the deficit to buy Port Talbot, it could do so just by dropping other spending commitments.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
Nationalise it, run it at a loss, slash foreign aid and leave the EU to recuperate the costs.

Usually I would let failing businesses go under, but steel is important and pretty much every first rate military power produces its own steel so in the event we ever did get blockaded, we could still produce weapons and armaments. Think I am crazy and sabre-rattling? I don't care, go to hell.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Original post by Silver Arrow
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If I ever got it, there would be jackboots, make no mistake about it

Your views?

we produce 12,000,000tonnes china produces 822,000,000 tonnes so we should give up other than a tariff on imported steel as they like our quality goods too much like mclarens, rolls royces and mulberrys not to mention scotch
Original post by Observatory
Even if the government didn't want to increase the deficit to buy Port Talbot, it could do so just by dropping other spending commitments.

LOL what like education and healthcare?
This argument could be used to justify scrapping foreign aid or kicking out refugees who have a net worth of less than 350k and no degree.

foreign aid is not actual foreign aid it's a bribe so they buy our stuff, any idiot knows that.

we need refugees just like we need unskilled migrants from the EU who flood in every year since that's where our economy is heading. Low wage.
LOL what like education and healthcare?

For instance.
foreign aid is not actual foreign aid it's a bribe so they buy our stuff, any idiot knows that.

we need refugees just like we need unskilled migrants from the EU who flood in every year since that's where our economy is heading. Low wage.

Don't be absurd, in 20 years time low skilled work will be automated, the rich will be trying to reduce the number of low skilled workers who will be totally obsolete.

I'm hoping that by then we'll have armed security robots with guns to keep order.

run it at a loss so we shall forever be indebted to Jewish bankers...?

I see what your plan is ... :colone: :devil:
Original post by chemting
run it at a loss so we shall forever be indebted to Jewish bankers...?

I see what your plan is ... :colone: :devil:

A part of my dislikes the casual racism, another part of me likes the plan and wishes it were true

If only there were a merchant with a magic printer who can create money from nothing, so we can pay off out debts we racked up kicking ass in the middle east.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending