The Student Room Group

A level choices!!

Hey Guys,
I've got a real dilema with my a level choices! I applied to 6th forms to do biology, chemistry, physics and maths and got in, but i'm having doubts about whether a level maths is the one for me. I want to get into medicine and i know that you've got to be taking all the faciliating subjects, but my thought is would it still be acceptable to just take the 3 sciences (which is still 1 more science than most of the uni's i've looked at asked for), and change maths to something like a level health and social care? I'm obviously restricted by what i can choose because of schools option blocks, and in the 4th one which had maths in, there was also health and social care. My GCSE maths is fine and i've been told my maths will be more than fine for a level physics so i have no worry about suffering in physics if i don't take maths.
Anyone got any adivce? Is a level health and social care even academic enough for med schoo? Obviously it's alot easier, but i know i'd get a damn good grade in it.
Anyway thanks!

Scroll to see replies

You don't need maths for medicine, but I wouldn't do health and social care if I were you. Biology, chemistry + any science or non-science academic subject is fine.
Original post by Snufkin
You don't need maths for medicine, but I wouldn't do health and social care if I were you. Biology, chemistry + any science or non-science academic subject is fine.

Hey, thanks so much for the reply and clearing up that i don't need maths, but i'm still a bit confused, you said take chemistry and biology and one other science or non-science academic subject, i chose to do chemistry, biology and physics, so the physics ticks the other science box, but what about for my 4th choice? Would it not be fine to have them high academic 3 science A levels + the easier health and social care? Because i've got to the option of taking 4 A levels not just 3
Thanks so much!
Original post by brandonsadler
Hey, thanks so much for the reply and clearing up that i don't need maths, but i'm still a bit confused, you said take chemistry and biology and one other science or non-science academic subject, i chose to do chemistry, biology and physics, so the physics ticks the other science box, but what about for my 4th choice? Would it not be fine to have them high academic 3 science A levels + the easier health and social care? Because i've got to the option of taking 4 A levels not just 3
Thanks so much!

This is just my subjective view, but I think Health and Social Care would be viewed as a bit of a "pointless A Level", whereby it won't really be adding anything to your application.

I think it's probably a better idea to stick to academic subjects. What made you change your mind from maths?
I did bio, chem and psychology and got my offers

I wouldn't do health and social care if I were you!
Try something like psychology, economics, history, Eng lit, physics,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chief Wiggum
This is just my subjective view, but I think Health and Social Care would be viewed as a bit of a "pointless A Level", whereby it won't really be adding anything to your application.

I think it's probably a better idea to stick to academic subjects. What made you change your mind from maths?

I think its that i don't really have a passion for maths and i'm worried that as i find it quite boring, that it's going to make it even harder for me to get the high grade i'd need in it, as it's harder to learn stuff if you just have no interest in it. But then with things like physics, which has a high amount of maths involved, it's more interesting to me as its applied to everyday life more and has the breaks inbetween the maths work where you can just learn facts and things, which is what i'm good at.
Many thanks
Original post by spiritless98
I did bio, chem and psychology and got my offers

I wouldn't do health and social care if I were you!
Try something like psychology, economics, history, Eng lit, physics,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thanks, thats actually really interesting, so did you only take 3 A Levels? Because at my school i got put into the group which could take 4, which is why i'm so confused about what to do for that 4th option, as the first 3 i chose the 3 sciences. In the 4th block there is maths, geography, english language and literature, sociology and health and social care. Obviously maths is the one i'm having the problems with, geography i didn't take at GCSE, the english lit and lang is a combined course of both of them so isn't actually classed as a facilitating subject, and then sociology i would probaly enjoy the content and things, but i was told it's lots of essays and things which i could do, but i dont know whether i'd get a good grade in it as my essay writing skills in exams tend to slip a little. Any advice?
Thanks so much!!
Hey Guys,
I've got a real dilema with my a level choices! I applied to 6th forms to do biology, chemistry, physics and maths and got in, but i'm having doubts about whether a level maths is the one for me. I want to get into medicine and i know that you've got to be taking all the faciliating subjects, but my thought is would it still be acceptable to just take the 3 sciences (which is still 1 more science than most of the uni's i've looked at asked for), and change maths to something like a level health and social care? I'm obviously restricted by what i can choose because of schools option blocks, and in the 4th one which had maths in, there was also health and social care. My GCSE maths is fine and i've been told my maths will be more than fine for a level physics so i have no worry about suffering in physics if i don't take maths.
Anyone got any adivce? Is a level health and social care even academic enough for med schoo? Obviously it's alot easier, but i know i'd get a damn good grade in it.
Anyway thanks!

I would personally pick Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit. Maths is pointless for medicine. You won't necessarily suffer in Physics if you don't take Maths especially if you're naturally good at the subject. Physics is not really essential for medicine either, but it won't hinder your application to uni if you do decided to take it as an a-level.

Please do not pick health and social care, it is such an undervalued subject and won't make you a more competitive candidate. If your sixth form allows you to pick 5 AS and you feel you can manage the work load pick Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, English and Maths or physics (AS) and continue 3 or 4 of those subjects onto A2. Maybe continue Biology Chemistry and Psychology onto A2.

You'll just have to decide whether you'd enjoy Psychology or English as a subject if not substitute either one of the two with Physics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Parasite
I would personally pick Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit. Maths is pointless for medicine. You won't necessarily suffer in Physics if you don't take Maths especially if you're naturally good at the subject. Physics is not really essential for medicine either, but it won't hinder your application to uni if you do decided to take it as an a-level.

Please do not pick health and social care, it is such an undervalued subject and won't make you a more competitive candidate. If your sixth form allows you to pick 5 AS and you feel you can manage the work load pick Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, English and Maths or physics (AS) and continue 3 or 4 of those subjects onto A2.

Thanks, i would love to take psychology or something like history, but it just doesn't fit with the option blocks at my school. I'll try and attach the option blocks below and if you could give me some advice on what you think would be best would be great!Capture.PNG
I think its that i don't really have a passion for maths and i'm worried that as i find it quite boring, that it's going to make it even harder for me to get the high grade i'd need in it, as it's harder to learn stuff if you just have no interest in it. But then with things like physics, which has a high amount of maths involved, it's more interesting to me as its applied to everyday life more and has the breaks inbetween the maths work where you can just learn facts and things, which is what i'm good at.
Many thanks

I just thought I'd say that I do maths and don't really like it as I'm much more interested in the humanities (the other subjects I do are History, English Lit and Classics and I want to do History at uni) but I got a comfortable A in maths at AS Level and it was my best subject. So not liking a subject doesn't necessarily mean that it's harder to get a good grade in it. On the other hand, if you'll hate it then maybe do a subject that would make you happier instead.
Thanks, i would love to take psychology or something like history, but it just doesn't fit with the option blocks at my school. I'll try and attach the option blocks below and if you could give me some advice on what you think would be best would be great!Capture.PNG

Wow this changes everything. Biology and Chemistry are very important subjects for Medicine especially if you want to apply to Russel groups and potentially Oxbridge. Your sixth forms option block is quite limiting as you have to either pick sciences or arts and you can't mix Biology, Chemistry and Psychology unfortunately.

To make you a very competitive candidate I would now pick Biology, Chemistry, Physics (do you enjoy physics) and Maths tbh, You won't be able to take Psychology unfortunately and even so Psychology is seen as an important science only when applying for Psychology related courses. Would you enjoy the subject combination I've proposed? Very science based, but honestly Biology and Chemistry are very important subjects. Sadly both Psychology and History fall under the same block with these subjects so you're going to have to forget about studying them. I wouldn't pick economics as it's not really relevant to why you want to study medicine and is not a valued subject unless you are applying to economic related courses at uni such as Maths, statistics or economics of course. You could replace Maths with English Lit and Lang actually as I have read above you don't actually have a passion for Maths.

Hope this has helped!
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow this changes everything. Biology and Chemistry are very important subjects for Medicine especially if you want to apply to Russel groups and potentially Oxbridge. Your sixth forms option block is quite limiting as you have to either pick sciences or arts and you can't mix Biology, Chemistry and Psychology unfortunately

Hope this has helped!

are chemistry, biology, maths and economics good
Original post by TheYearNiner
are chemistry, biology, maths and economics good

I would say great for studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology or economic related courses at uni, also good for Medicine, but the subject combination could be better by including Psychology and if that is not an option including English Lit or Physics instead.
I would say great for studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology or economic related courses at uni, also good for Medicine, but the subject combination could be better by including Psychology and if that is not an option including English Lit or Physics instead.

But I can't change it now so am I still fine with economics
Maths isn't required, but I would advise that you do it anyway. I don't know what tier university you are looking for but statistically, you are more likely to be successful at securing a place at a top medical school if you do maths. Also, you may find physics difficult with only GCSE mathematical knowledge and skills. The reformed A-Level has a minimum requirement for 40% of the exams to be assessing mathematical skills. Maths will also help with chemistry and biology, which now have minimum requirements of 20% and 10% testing mathematical skills, respectively (albeit the maths probably being less challenging than in physics, and much less in biology especially).

Economics also has a 20% minimum mathematical content, and Psychology has 10% minimum. All other subjects do not have compulsory amounts of maths in them, I believe.

Though all in all as its your 4th subject it doesn't really matter what you pick. Showing off that you can do more than just science is good, so I think your choice of 3 sciences + economics is a good one. I know UCL love a non-science 4th a level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TheYearNiner
am I still fine with economics

Yeah you'll be fine with economics! Your other subject choices are highly valued so economics adds an extra positive! :borat:
(edited 7 years ago)
to be honest though, for medicine you dont need physics. Besides if your currently in yr 11 (i think you are) then you could do the 4 subject you want (bio, chem, maths, phys) for a year. If you dont enjoy one then drop it. Because i swear next year there is no AS exams, so by dropping one you dont get a qualification in that specific subject. I took bio, chem, maths and geog which I might change to psychology...
Wow this changes everything. Biology and Chemistry are very important subjects for Medicine especially if you want to apply to Russel groups and potentially Oxbridge. Your sixth forms option block is quite limiting as you have to either pick sciences or arts and you can't mix Biology, Chemistry and Psychology unfortunately.

To make you a very competitive candidate I would now pick Biology, Chemistry, Physics (do you enjoy physics) and Maths tbh, You won't be able to take Psychology unfortunately and even so Psychology is seen as an important science only when applying for Psychology related courses. Would you enjoy the subject combination I've proposed? Very science based, but honestly Biology and Chemistry are very important subjects. Sadly both Psychology and History fall under the same block with these subjects so you're going to have to forget about studying them. I wouldn't pick economics as it's not really relevant to why you want to study medicine and is not a valued subject unless you are applying to economic related courses at uni such as Maths, statistics or economics of course. You could replace Maths with English Lit and Lang actually as I have read above you don't actually have a passion for Maths.

Hope this has helped!

Thanks it has helped actually, so i'm definately going to scrap the idea of taking health and social care haha, i think i'm going to have to have a look at the maths A level course and see whether i could cope for just one year and then drop it after the AS, is sociology not an option? Because if i was going to take either the english langauge and lit course or the sociology one, i'd probaly pick sociology because it would ease my hate for essay exams as the content is more interesting.
Thanks so much for your help!!
Thanks it has helped actually, so i'm definately going to scrap the idea of taking health and social care haha, i think i'm going to have to have a look at the maths A level course and see whether i could cope for just one year and then drop it after the AS, is sociology not an option? Because if i was going to take either the english langauge and lit course or the sociology one, i'd probaly pick sociology because it would ease my hate for essay exams as the content is more interesting.
Thanks so much for your help!!

I think sociology or maths would be ok. But if you hate essay subjects, might maths not be a better choice for you?
Yeah you'll be fine with economics! Your other subject choices are highly valued so economics adds an extra positive! :borat:

thanks a lot :h:

Quick Reply