The Student Room Group

TSR: What uni shall I go to?

This poll is closed

What uni should I go to, TSR?

Uni of Cumbria in Lancaster 53%
York St John in York 18%
Leeds Trinity in Horforth, Leeds29%
Total votes: 17
I am terribly stuck, maybe TSR could help me in my decision?

I will be studying Primary Education, if that helps.

My heart says:

Uni of Cumbria in Lancaster:
Pros.
-I LOVE the city
-perfect distance away from home and has cheap train fares
-I have everything there planned out, from where I'll shop to where I'll live. I really really really love the city and want to live there desperately.
-Sooooooo so so pretty and has all the shops I'll need
-Love the accommodation. The one I want has sinks in the rooms, baths in the bathrooms and has like 12 people on a floor, meaning less chance I'll be stuck with a few bitchy girls.

Cons:
-The course is for 3-11 year olds. I am very nervous about teaching the older children and am not sure I could do it. It could jeopardise my whole degree if I cannot control those juniors and could really depress me. Plus, I will never want a job teaching the juniors in the future.
-It doesn't ever snow in Lancaster.
-might be made to move back home for placements if they're closer to home than uni:s-smilie: :s-smilie:

My head says:

York St John in York:
Pros.
-course is for 3-7 year olds, my absolute favourite children and the age I will want to teach in the future.
-offers the Catholic certificate, which will enable me to teach in Catholic schools.
-Chance of snow in York.
-Um, nice Minster and city walls?

Cons:
-Didn't get any feel for the place when I visited
-York floods
-The accommodation is expensive and I don't really like it. It's cheaper outside of the centre, but what's the point in living in York if you're going to live ages away from the good bits.

OR

Leeds Trinity in Horsforth, Leeds

Pros:
-course is for 3-7 year olds, my absolute favourite children and the age I will want to teach in the future.
-Offers Catholic certificate
-Snows often there!!!
-Pretty Yorkshire town
-decent accommodation, same price as Lancaster:yy:

Cons:
-no shops or anything to do there
-would have to travel into Leeds to do any decent shopping or pretty much anything
-Right by an airport so noisy air traffic
-accommodation and everything is all on the campus in the middle of nowhere so I think I would feel suffocated and isolated. I
-accommodation for second year sounds like I'd have to go and commute to the uni.

Please help me.:frown: I am in love with Lancaster and want to live there desperately, but the better courses with the children I am confident with and desperate to teach are in Leeds or York.
You can see why I am so stuck. :frown:
I have to choose between the place I want to live or the children I want to teach:dontknow:

Please vote in the poll and help me decide, I'm literally looking everywhere for any help in making my decision:facepalm:

Scroll to see replies

Pick the option which will make you happy in the long term. York St Johns sounds loveky for the time you're there, but you need to feel you'll be happy after you graduate
Original post by Dirty Dawah
Pick the option which will make you happy in the long term. York St Johns sounds loveky for the time you're there, but you need to feel you'll be happy after you graduate

But I might not stay living in the same place after graduation:s-smilie:
Original post by littlenorthernlass
But I might not stay living in the same place after graduation:s-smilie:

I don't mean physical place sorry, I mean if you wish to teach 3-7 year olds, possibly at Catholic schools, you do what you want as a career is over a much longer period of time than 3 years of university.

Good luck :smile:
I am terribly stuck, maybe TSR could help me in my decision?

I will be studying Primary Education, if that helps.

My heart says:

Uni of Cumbria in Lancaster:
Pros.
-I LOVE the city
-perfect distance away from home and has cheap train fares
-I have everything there planned out, from where I'll shop to where I'll live. I really really really love the city and want to live there desperately.
-Sooooooo so so pretty and has all the shops I'll need
-Love the accommodation. The one I want has sinks in the rooms, baths in the bathrooms and has like 12 people on a floor, meaning less chance I'll be stuck with a few bitchy girls.

Cons:
-The course is for 3-11 year olds. I am very nervous about teaching the older children and am not sure I could do it. It could jeopardise my whole degree if I cannot control those juniors and could really depress me. Plus, I will never want a job teaching the juniors in the future.
-It doesn't ever snow in Lancaster. That's not entirely true, it has snowed it lancashire last month :P
-might be made to move back home for placements if they're closer to home than uni:s-smilie: :s-smilie:

My head says:

York St John in York:
Pros.
-offers the Catholic certificate, which will enable me to teach in Catholic schools.
-Chance of snow in York.
-Um, nice Minster and city walls?

Cons:
-Didn't get any feel for the place when I visited
-York floods
-The accommodation is expensive and I don't really like it. It's cheaper outside of the centre, but what's the point in living in York if you're going to live ages away from the good bits.

OR

Leeds Trinity in Horsforth, Leeds

Pros:
-Offers Catholic certificate
-Snows often there!!!
-Pretty Yorkshire town
-decent accommodation, same price as Lancaster:yy:

Cons:
-no shops or anything to do there My friend has no trouble getting into leeds via train or bus really and no trouble with food shopping
-would have to travel into Leeds to do any decent shopping or pretty much anything
-Right by an airport so noisy air traffic
-accommodation and everything is all on the campus in the middle of nowhere so I think I would feel suffocated and isolated. I
-accommodation for second year sounds like I'd have to go and commute to the uni.

Please help me.:frown: I am in love with Lancaster and want to live there desperately, but the better courses with the children I am confident with and desperate to teach are in Leeds or York.
You can see why I am so stuck. :frown:
I have to choose between the place I want to live or the children I want to teach:dontknow:

Please vote in the poll and help me decide, I'm literally looking everywhere for any help in making my decision:facepalm:

See bold above, adding in some points as my boyfriend studied at cumbria for a bit and my best friends at leeds trinity so could help maybe. But from what you've written i dont think you like the sound of living in york that much. Have you spoken to cumbria about which key stage each placement is in as that could help in your decision massively? Personally, i like leeds as a place more than lancaster but lancaster does have a certain charm.
Original post by claireestelle
See bold above, adding in some points as my boyfriend studied at cumbria for a bit and my best friends at leeds trinity so could help maybe. But from what you've written i dont think you like the sound of living in york that much. Have you spoken to cumbria about which key stage each placement is in as that could help in your decision massively? Personally, i like leeds as a place more than lancaster but lancaster does have a certain charm.

Thanks! Yeah I'm not fussed about living in York at all:s-smilie: Nor Horsforth... I don't feel excited about living in either of them...
You know, I actually tried that! Well, I emailed the uni and asked if we'd get a preference for our last placement as to which key stage we'd rather go in ... I mean, wouldn't it be so annoying if you had two placements in Key Stage 2 and just one in Key Stage 1 when it's the younger children you want to teach after uni :facepalm: Anyway, so a very unhelpful woman replied and narkily told me that can't favour one key stage over the other because we need to cover ALL the key stages as it's 3-11 years. Well doh.:doh: I didn't say I didn't want ANY placements in one particular key stage.
I'm thinking of calling the uni up and asking, maybe I'll get a different person.

Was your boyfriend at the Cumbria in Lancaster?
Original post by Dirty Dawah
I don't mean physical place sorry, I mean if you wish to teach 3-7 year olds, possibly at Catholic schools, you do what you want as a career is over a much longer period of time than 3 years of university.

Good luck :smile:

I see what you mean:redface: Definitely doing the 3-7 years would give me a better knowledge and grounding of the children I want to teach in future, but it's not like doing 3-11 would confine me to teaching just the juniors. I could still apply to all the infant jobs.
Also I forgot to mention, there's a place in Lancaster that offers the Catholic cert. but it's separate to the uni, not part of the degree, so you have to do it separately and also pay for it.:grumble:
Thanks! Yeah I'm not fussed about living in York at all:s-smilie: Nor Horsforth... I don't feel excited about living in either of them...
You know, I actually tried that! Well, I emailed the uni and asked if we'd get a preference for our last placement as to which key stage we'd rather go in ... I mean, wouldn't it be so annoying if you had two placements in Key Stage 2 and just one in Key Stage 1 when it's the younger children you want to teach after uni :facepalm: Anyway, so a very unhelpful woman replied and narkily told me that can't favour one key stage over the other because we need to cover ALL the key stages as it's 3-11 years. Well doh.:doh: I didn't say I didn't want ANY placements in one particular key stage.
I'm thinking of calling the uni up and asking, maybe I'll get a different person.

Was your boyfriend at the Cumbria in Lancaster?

Defiently call them up and they might be more helpful :smile: Yes he was, he did a pgce for a few months before realizing teaching wasnt really for him. If you dont feel excited about living at either of the others then I think you should go to Lancaster as you come across as quite excited to go there, seems like the placement thing is the only issue for you there?
Defiently call them up and they might be more helpful :smile: Yes he was, he did a pgce for a few months before realizing teaching wasnt really for him. If you dont feel excited about living at either of the others then I think you should go to Lancaster as you come across as quite excited to go there, seems like the placement thing is the only issue for you there?

Ah:redface: Yep, definitely the placements are the only thing that bothers me about Lancaster:sadnod: But it's SUCH a big bother. :frown:
Hey
My advice is to email the uni. After all they want you to be well informed of your decision. I am also thinking of Uni of Cumbria Lancaster for primary education bit i dont mind doing it all
I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone decide whether they should attend that uni or not depending on if it snows in that city. You live and learn everyday..
Ah:redface: Yep, definitely the placements are the only thing that bothers me about Lancaster:sadnod: But it's SUCH a big bother. :frown:

You never know it could be only one placement in key stage 1 so it might not be as much of a bother as you think it is :smile:
You never know it could be only one placement in key stage 1 so it might not be as much of a bother as you think it is :smile:

D'you mean key stage 2? If I had 2 out of three placements in key stage 1 I would be sooooo lucky and happy.
Original post by Naomi 2709
Hey
My advice is to email the uni. After all they want you to be well informed of your decision. I am also thinking of Uni of Cumbria Lancaster for primary education bit i dont mind doing it all

I tried that but the woman who replied to me was narky and unhelpful and didn't really answer my question:frown:

Original post by UnknownRoyalist
I think this is the first time I have ever seen someone decide whether they should attend that uni or not depending on if it snows in that city. You live and learn everyday..

Well I've always wanted to live somewhere where it snows:huff:
D'you mean key stage 2? If I had 2 out of three placements in key stage 1 I would be sooooo lucky and happy.

Sorry yeah i meant key stage 1 :smile:
If somebody held a phaser (set to kill) to your head and asked you to make a choice - what would it be?
I tried that but the woman who replied to me was narky and unhelpful and didn't really answer my question:frown:

Well I've always wanted to live somewhere where it snows:huff:

What happens if you move there for the snow but then it doesn't snow while you're there?

Also, outside of UK, more snowier places not an option?
Original post by ByronicHero
If somebody held a phaser (set to kill) to your head and asked you to make a choice - what would it be?

I don't know!!! That's why I have resorted to asking TSR. What do you think?

Original post by UnknownRoyalist
What happens if you move there for the snow but then it doesn't snow while you're there?

Also, outside of UK, more snowier places not an option?

I'm fairly sure it will snow.

I'm not moving out of the UK.

You're genuinely funny lol.
I don't know!!! That's why I have resorted to asking TSR. What do you think?

I am busy presently but will post shortly with my opinion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending