The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan less than expected

I can hardly believe I am turning to the student room to help me with this, you might think a company as big as the student loans company would have some kind of email helpline but nope,

Basically, I am hoping to go the Uni in London and due to low income in my household, I was able to apply for the £10800 or whatever it is maximum amount. student finance then sent me a letter saying I would have to get a teacher or doctor who was not a relative etc to sign a letter giving details of my circumstances (I selected I did not have contact with either parent on my application form) and send it back to them, which was fair enough. However, about two days later I get another later saying that my student finances has been approved for the London uni and it's about £5000, even when 1) I have not sent the signed letter back to them and 2) that is less than he minimum for full time students living away from home in London (which I believe to be £8000). What's more, the two letters were dated the same date - 23rd March 2016. So I'm thinking either there was a mix up, they literally just don't care enough about the fact some of us need extra money or HOPEFULLY that is the minimum amount and they will increase it when I prove my situation?

Could somebody please help. For a university in central London £5000 a year to pay for accomodation, food, blah blah is just not enough.
Original post by JoshZ_98
I can hardly believe I am turning to the student room to help me with this, you might think a company as big as the student loans company would have some kind of email helpline but nope,

Basically, I am hoping to go the Uni in London and due to low income in my household, I was able to apply for the £10800 or whatever it is maximum amount. student finance then sent me a letter saying I would have to get a teacher or doctor who was not a relative etc to sign a letter giving details of my circumstances (I selected I did not have contact with either parent on my application form) and send it back to them, which was fair enough. However, about two days later I get another later saying that my student finances has been approved for the London uni and it's about £5000, even when 1) I have not sent the signed letter back to them and 2) that is less than he minimum for full time students living away from home in London (which I believe to be £8000). What's more, the two letters were dated the same date - 23rd March 2016. So I'm thinking either there was a mix up, they literally just don't care enough about the fact some of us need extra money or HOPEFULLY that is the minimum amount and they will increase it when I prove my situation?

Could somebody please help. For a university in central London £5000 a year to pay for accomodation, food, blah blah is just not enough.

Student loan assessment happens in 2 stages. If you're eligible for any loan then they tell you that you can get the basic loan.

Once they've made the household income assessment then you'll get details through of the full income assessed loan that you can receive.

They're trying to be helpful - they're letting you know that you'll get *something* as soon as possible :indiff:
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Student loan assessment happens in 2 stages. If you're eligible for any loan then they tell you that you can get the basic loan.

Once they've made the household income assessment then you'll get details through of the full income assessed loan that you can receive.

They're trying to be helpful - they're letting you know that you'll get *something* as soon as possible :indiff:

Thanks. I've also been told that you have to get your parent(s) to support your application through their own account in order to confirm their salary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending