The Student Room Group

What is the best calculator model for A-level math?

I wondering if there is a great calculator model (that is not banned by the exam board) as I know that there is different calculator model often have that different features and functions.

Community Team: There's an excellent thread discussing best calculators for A level Maths here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Cake_Chan
I wondering if there is a great calculator model (that is not banned by the exam board) as I know that there is different calculator model often have that different features and functions.

There isn't "a best" but the top of the Casio Range is pretty popular, with the TI (83/84/Nspire) is also usually good, it doesn't really matter in the end, so pick whatever will fit you the best and be assured that it won't have much of an effect.
One of the people's favourites is this...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8

I'm thinking of purchasing it just before my exams :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Philip-flop
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8

If you want to purchase it, then purchase it well before your exam so you can practice with it instead of going into the exam without knowing how many of the functions work and wasting time navigating your way around it in the exam.
I recently purchased the Casio fx-85gt plus and have no complaints.
Original post by Zacken
If you want to purchase it, then purchase it well before your exam so you can practice with it instead of going into the exam without knowing how many of the functions work and wasting time navigating your way around it in the exam.

Thanks Zacken, that is a good idea tbh!! But due to my current financial position I can't afford to buy it until next pay day (3 weeks before the exams). Hopefully that'll be enough time to learn the functions of the new calculator :/

Original post by ByronicHero
I recently purchased the Casio fx-85gt plus and have no complaints.

I currently use this one too! I'm using it for A-levels but have found that it lacks a lot of functions!! It can't even work out quadratic equations (won't let you type quadratic equations directly into the calculator).
Reply 6
Thanks Zacken, that is a good idea tbh!! But due to my current financial position I can't afford to buy it until next pay day (3 weeks before the exams). Hopefully that'll be enough time to learn the functions of the new calculator :/

That makes sense, you can always lookup the manual for the calculator you wish to buy and read up on it before being able to purchase it or watch videos on it on youtube, just food for thought! It's not requisite at well. :smile:

I currently use this one too! I'm using it for A-levels but have found that it lacks a lot of functions!! It can't even work out quadratic equations (won't let you type quadratic equations directly into the calculator).

Now you tell me :moon:

To be fair, things like that I prefer to do myself for the practice anyway (I'm learning for enrichment rather than with the intention of necessarily taking the exams). I considered getting a much more expensive model but for my purposes thought it wasn't worth the money.
Reply 8
Original post by Cake_Chan

http://www.casio.co.uk/products/calculators/scientific-calculators/Product/FX-991ESPLUS-SB-UH/
^ Casio FX-991ESPLUS is currently the best calculator you can get in the UK for A levels imo, because of it's numerous functions that are extremely useful (e.g. differentiation/integration with limits to check your answers), that are not on the other, more basic calculators

There's a new model, FX-991EX which is pretty insane that has an LCD screen and QR code technology and stuff. Not currently available in the UK though, as it's pretty new.
http://www.casio.com/products/Calculators_%26_Dictionaries/Fraction_%26_Scientific/fx-991EX/

But yeah if I were you, I'd get the FX-991ESPLUS. I currently have it and it makes your life so much easier for maths.
And don't worry, it's fine for your exams (at least for Edexcel, which is my exam board)
Hi if you're looking to buy a graphing calculator, then the one I personally found the best and bought was the: Casio fx-9860GII

Is that the newer version of this:
Reply 11
I have both the FX-991ESPLUS and FX-991EX. For A-levels, you won't need anything more than FX-991ESPLUS. The newer version (FX-991EX) has features which aren't really used in A-levels such as solving 3 simultaneous equations, equations with X^4, and I think they increased the memory capcity so you can generate larger tables. They also changed the interface completely, and made it with graphical menus which is pretty confusing and it was hard getting used to after using the older versions. However, in my country the price of both calculators are the same. So I'd rather buy the newer one because it's more future proof (can use it in uni).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Al-farhan
Is that the newer version of this:
Yes it is
Reply 13
Original post by Fadel
I have both the FX-991ESPLUS and FX-991EX. For A-levels, you won't need anything more than FX-991ESPLUS. The newer version (FX-991EX) has features which aren't really used in A-levels such as solving 3 simultaneous equations, equations with X^4, and I think they increased the memory capcity so you can generate larger tables. They also changed the interface completely, and made it with graphical menus which is pretty confusing and it was hard getting used to after using the older versions.

Dude the 991EX looks so sick. I have a 991ES Plus that's about to die (some keys are literally hanging off; I've had it for quite some time, and it's 2nd generation).
Should I get the EX? Or should I save money and buy another ES?
My Casio fx-83ES has always done me well, but the FX-991ESPLUS-SB looks absolutely amazing! (Might just get it myself :ninja:)
Reply 15
Original post by Haamoo7
Dude the 991EX looks so sick. I have a 991ES Plus that's about to die (some keys are literally hanging off; I've had it for quite some time, and it's 2nd generation).
Should I get the EX? Or should I save money and buy another ES?

Get the EX. It looks sick yeah, carbon fibre and awesome buttons. There's no point in getting the ES again since EX has more functions. Even if you don't need them in A-levels, you're gonna need them in uni.
Original post by Haamoo7
it's numerous functions that are extremely useful (e.g. differentiation/integration with limits to check your answers), that are not on the other, more basic calculators

Are you trying to get OP kicked out of his/her maths exam on purpose? They aren't officially allowed lol
Reply 17
Original post by Lawliettt
Are you trying to get OP kicked out of his/her maths exam on purpose? They aren't officially allowed lol

They are, algebraical differentiation and integration or manipulation are functions that get calculators banned. Numerical ones are fine.
Reply 18
Original post by Lawliettt

Yes they are.
Read the exam board rules on calculators. They don't allow "symbolic integration/differentiation".
The integration/differentiation on the calculators I mentioned are not symbolic; you have to input values for the limits - it's numerical integration/differentiation.
There's a difference.
Original post by Zacken
They are, algebraical differentiation and integration or manipulation are functions that get calculators banned.

So you recommend him one with those exact features? I had that same calculator when i was walking into my maths AS exam. The exam officer informed me, took it off me and placed it in the school office then gave me the non banned version instead. This all happened before the exam started of course.

Quick Reply

Latest