The Student Room Group

Help! Don't like any of my university choices

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tc2802
Hey! Firstly, Exeter offers are absolutely not as high as Cambridge's, and if you've made it as far as to get an offer from Cambridge then you should definitely give Exeter a go through clearing (extra is closed, i think?)
ALSO I have heard of a girl who didn't get the grades for Cambridge, went to Kings instead and went through the transfer process (although you should know that she was absolutely crazy about cambridge, did all the research on the transfer and was met with excellent staff at kings who was more than willing to help her). She was attending cambridge by the end of the semester!
So that's another option. Have you visited any other unis? Personally my first is exeter and my insurance is loughborough, based on location, study abroad options, ratings/league tables and curriculum, as i never had the chance to visit them beforehand (failed art last year and had only visited unis for graphic design... had to start over). so if you do deep research into some other good places you may end up liking them as well (though never as much - i wanted cambridge as well, i can understand that. it does fade with time, though)

Hey, sorry I'm being quite slow - I don't understand. How did she transfer from Kings to Cambridge?
Reply 21
Original post by jneill
Extremely rare, if it happened at all. And not a realistic option.

...er
wow?
Look, I'm saying that unis do tend to give second chances. Granted, the story sounds a bit far-fetched, but a) I heard it from someone I trust and b) it's 100% possible : first, see this FAQ on this very website : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
And what Cam says here : " Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances." Granted; BUT"Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University." link : http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

So : if a student comes through with excellent recommendations from an excellent uni - even if they failed to meet their a-level requirements by only a bit (as Platopus says they are only worried about one specific A*) - then it's absolutely plausible that they could make it through if they did brilliantly at the start of the semester and fulfilled all further requirements.
Lastly, you really don't need to imply that I'm lying.
Reply 22
Original post by Platopus
Hey, sorry I'm being quite slow - I don't understand. How did she transfer from Kings to Cambridge?

Right! Sorry. Let me refer you back to my response to jneill's remark... Cambridge says exactly this :
"Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances.Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.We do have a system of admitting graduates from other universities to do a second undergraduate degree as anaffiliated student at Cambridge, in which case the course takes a year less than usual."here under the "can i transfer" section. So yeah, it's quite hard, but in my experience cambridge discourages a lot of people simply by being cambridge, you know? So yeah, firstly, you'll probably make your offer, if your teachers gave you good predictives then you're likely to achieve them. Don't overstress.Secondly, obviously it's not a given that if you do indeed fail to meet your requirements that you will be accepted through this process. I just wanted to make you aware of another option.I hope I'm not being too harsh? Absolute best of luck.
Congratulations on your offers.

Durham and St. Andrews are the most similar to Cambridge (in terms of academia, tradition, prestige), as well as being the next most prestigious after Oxbridge in the country. So I'd definitely recommend putting Durham or St. Andrews as your insurance.

Good luck!
Reply 24
Original post by Naomi 2709
Can you apply through UCAS extra to another uni you like the look of better

Not without rejecting the Cambridge (and any other) offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by tc2802
...er
wow?
Look, I'm saying that unis do tend to give second chances. Granted, the story sounds a bit far-fetched, but a) I heard it from someone I trust and b) it's 100% possible : first, see this FAQ on this very website : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424
And what Cam says here : " Cambridge Colleges will only, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students enrolled in a degree course at other UK universities in very exceptional circumstances." Granted; BUT"Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your Course Director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider an application. All such applications are still subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University." link : http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/find-out-more/faq

So : if a student comes through with excellent recommendations from an excellent uni - even if they failed to meet their a-level requirements by only a bit (as Platopus says they are only worried about one specific A*) - then it's absolutely plausible that they could make it through if they did brilliantly at the start of the semester and fulfilled all further requirements.
Lastly, you really don't need to imply that I'm lying.

The circumstances have to be "very exceptional" and your example had already failed to achieve their Cambridge offer on results day. This would make a transfer in the first semester even less likely I'm afraid.

A truly exceptional circumstance is not a likely option to suggest to other candidates. The OP is MUCH more likely to meet their offer in the first place (Plan A) than to be successful via an exceptional transfer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
GL on your Cambridge application.
Reply 27
Original post by jneill
The circumstances have to be "very exceptional" and your example had already failed to achieve their Cambridge offer on results day. This would make a transfer in the first semester even less likely I'm afraid.

A truly exceptional circumstance is not a likely option to suggest to other candidates. The OP is MUCH more likely to meet their offer in the first place (Plan A) than to be successful via an exceptional transfer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you read my entire answer? I literally put "exceptional circumstances" in bold and then said "granted; but". I've read the quote I gave you. You don't need to feed it back to me.

Also, sometimes things happen that can't be put into the "extenuating circumstances" category and I'm fairly sure that Cambridge is aware of that. There is, once again, no need to imply that I'm lying.

There are contingency plans to be explored, limited and narrow though they may be, and the fact that they're hard to achieve is no reason to ignore them.
Reply 28
Original post by tc2802
Did you read my entire answer? I literally put "exceptional circumstances" in bold and then said "granted; but". I've read the quote I gave you. You don't need to feed it back to me.

Also, sometimes things happen that can't be put into the "extenuating circumstances" category and I'm fairly sure that Cambridge is aware of that. There is, once again, no need to imply that I'm lying.

There are contingency plans to be explored, limited and narrow though they may be, and the fact that they're hard to achieve is no reason to ignore them.

I'm not implying anything. I'm stating that exceptional circumstances by definition can't be given as a *likely* option for another candidate. If it was a common route it wouldn't be exceptional would it...

Anyway, we are agreed Platopus is much more likely to meet her original offer than any other option so I'm leaving it at that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by jneill
X

Original post by tc2802
X

Oh dear, I feel as though I've started an argument here; that wasn't my intention! I do think you are agreeing on the fundamentals and have both been very helpful, so thank you. I am also touched that you think I've in with a good chance of meeting the Cambridge offer. But, clearly I will need to prepare for the worst (while still hoping for the best) so I think I will probably insure Durham for now. If August rolls around and I decide I don't want to go there, I can always take a year out and apply somewhere else next year.
Reply 30
Original post by Thomb
GL on your Cambridge application.

Thank you!

Original post by Enzo Ferrari
Congratulations on your offers.

Durham and St. Andrews are the most similar to Cambridge (in terms of academia, tradition, prestige), as well as being the next most prestigious after Oxbridge in the country. So I'd definitely recommend putting Durham or St. Andrews as your insurance.

Good luck!

Thank you - I've decided to choose Durham as my insurance for now. I would have picked St Andrews but the fact it is a 4 year course and you have to study modules from other subjects put me off.
Reply 31
Thank you!

Thank you - I've decided to choose Durham as my insurance for now. I would have picked St Andrews but the fact it is a 4 year course and you have to study modules from other subjects put me off.

Cambridge is a very beautiful place and would be a brilliant place to study remember though that so is Durham there are some amazing scholars there.
Just give it your best shot and try your best what more can you do?
Oh dear, I feel as though I've started an argument here; that wasn't my intention! I do think you are agreeing on the fundamentals and have both been very helpful, so thank you. I am also touched that you think I've in with a good chance of meeting the Cambridge offer. But, clearly I will need to prepare for the worst (while still hoping for the best) so I think I will probably insure Durham for now. If August rolls around and I decide I don't want to go there, I can always take a year out and apply somewhere else next year.

I think that is a very wise choice. If it is possible I would visit Durham before August. It is very small but a really nice city and an excellent uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending