The Student Room Group

Obesity is a disease?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PandaWho
This annoys the hell out of me. I am overweight, i have spent half my life on diets, (some even causing me to be ill) i have restricted calorie intake almost to a level where i was on about 500 calories a day, i have eaten healthy and exercise

Yet despitecthis i struggle to lose any weight, and in fact in the last year i have been diagnosed with an illness and as part if it it means not only am i more likely to gain weight, but it is also harder for me to lose it.

So no obesity is NOT a life choice

Though i personally wouldnt say it was a disease either

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry, i should have clarified, what i meant was all those who don't have an illness or ailment stopping them from losing weight took the life choice to be obese.
Reply 41
If there are experts who say it's a disease then that's good enough for me.

Why dispute that when it's going to make fat people feel better about themselves?

Not to mention give them permission to lie in bed and eat chocolate.
Original post by thefatone
i guess.....
yup most definitely but like someone else posted you can get rid of this "disease" by running and doing exercise

A disease with an easy cure is still a disease.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
A disease with an easy cure is still a disease.

but the problem isn't actually the disease itself, it's the people who have it who are unwilling to make a good attempt to get rid of it
but the problem isn't actually the disease itself, it's the people who have it who are unwilling to make a good attempt to get rid of it

Toyr missing the point. You are asked a question by the OP and thats whether it is a disease or not. Whether it comes about through he persons lifestyle and overeating is irrelevant.to that question.
Original post by 999tigger
Toyr missing the point. You are asked a question by the OP and thats whether it is a disease or not. Whether it comes about through he persons lifestyle and overeating is irrelevant.to that question.

no i wouldn't call it a disease
no i wouldn't call it a disease

Not interested in whether you would call it a disease im interested in whether it matches the expert definition. It clearly does.
Reply 47
If you're fat, make an effort to eat right and work out. You'll then be less fat. It's not hard
Original post by 999tigger
Not interested in whether you would call it a disease im interested in whether it matches the expert definition. It clearly does.

well thing is this has only come around in modern times because people have gotten lazier and do less physical work because technology has taken over for us, so we basically made this disease ourselves

but true... when i think about it sorta does match the definition of disease.....

I HAVE BEEN CONVERTED
Original post by TheKian
If you're fat, make an effort to eat right and work out. You'll then be less fat. It's not hard

If you're on some medications, it can be.
Reply 50
Original post by Tiger Rag
If you're on some medications, it can be.

Then make more effort to eat right and exercise. Lot's of obese people will make excuses and say they can't. They're wrong, they just need to get past the initial struggle.

I've gone from being very underweight to almost normal just using diet and excercise
Original post by TheKian
Then make more effort to eat right and exercise. Lot's of obese people will make excuses and say they can't. They're wrong, they just need to get past the initial struggle.

I've gone from being very underweight to almost normal just using diet and excercise

It's not that simple. Especially when you're physically disabled too.
Reply 52
It's not that simple. Especially when you're physically disabled too.

Aren't we just talking about exceptions here though?
Original post by neb789
Aren't we just talking about exceptions here though?

True

Going back to a previous post of mine about the relative of mine - he supposedly has thyroid problems (underactive I think) and diabetes. My limited understanding of both these problems, is they can cause weight problems. He really doesn't help himself and quite frankly, it is a **** example to set your children.
Reply 54
True

Going back to a previous post of mine about the relative of mine - he supposedly has thyroid problems (underactive I think) and diabetes. My limited understanding of both these problems, is they can cause weight problems. He really doesn't help himself and quite frankly, it is a **** example to set your children.

Obesity does have the potential to set a very negative example for children, which is worrying as there is little that could be done.
(edited 8 years ago)
The people who are obese due to another medical problem that affects their metabolism are outliers.

The vast majority are people who eat to much and are too lazy to exercise and deserve zero sympathy IMO.
I do A level Geography and within the topic of Health we do a case study on Obesity as a disease of affluence. Diseases don't have to be infectious, and they can be self-inflicted. Obesity fits the definition for disease because long-term it can have severe effects on the body and can lead to death if untreated. In the same vein, malnutrition doesn't have to mean starving-many obese people suffer from malnutrition.
I agree that obesity is by definition a disease. What I think is important is that people understand why it is called a disease, rather than hear that word and take it as an excuse to do nothing. If you are overweight simply through overeating and inactivity, then there is a very obvious solution! I understand however that just because something is easy to understand, doesn't mean that it is easy to carry out as it will involve a huge personal change, which can be scary and difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neb789
(...)

Yes or no? Thoughts?

Both I would say. Some people have an obesity by eating too much, but another people because of a metabolism which is not working good. And those people who have a bad metabolism eat not too much as a rule, but are fat nevertheless. So, yes it may a disease.
Reply 59
Original post by Kallisto
Both I would say. Some people have an obesity by eating too much, but another people because of a metabolism which is not working good. And those people who have a bad metabolism eat not too much as a rule, but are fat nevertheless. So, yes it may a disease.

Then surely metabolism becomes the excuse?

Quick Reply

Latest