The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Computing at Oxford Brookes + General information.

Hi Everyone,

I have received an unconditional offer from Oxford Brookes to study Computing with a foundation year included. I am most likely going to accept this offer and study there.Unfortunately I have not had the chance to visit the University to have a look so i would love to hear from anyone who has any information about the course, the accomodation and just any general information. I am a regular gym attendee who likes to go out and eat and drink as much as the next person!

Regards,

Cameron.
Reply 1
Hi,

I also got an unconditional offer to study BSc Biology and most likely to make OBU as my firm. I will attend to an applicant day in 13th of April which is particularly for biology/mdeical science applicants. I am not sure about Computing though, but if you go to their website and find the 'applicant day' page (or google it) then you can find any available applicant day for your course. This may include a talk about your course and a campus tour.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by 5796
Hi,

I also got an unconditional offer to study BSc Biology and most likely to make OBU as my firm. I will attend to an applicant day in 13th of April which is particularly for biology/mdeical science applicants. I am not sure about Computing though, but if you go to their website and find the 'applicant day' page (or google it) then you can find any available applicant day for your course. This may include a talk about your course and a campus tour.

Thanks!
I'm on a similar course to Computing that shares many modules so I can probably answer this.
The course will be based at Wheatley campus which is about 4 miles outside of Oxford and will involve a fairly lengthy bus commute. The alternative is to live on campus at Lady Spencer but I wouldn't suggest this as 1. Wheatley is grim 2. Getting back from a night out will involve an expensive taxi ride. Best bet is to live in Headington (Paul Kent, Crescent, Slade, Clive Booth, Cheney (if you can afford))

Foundation is very easy. The only programming you will do is basic Python. If you don't have Maths A Level you may be required to do 1 or 2 maths modules. Some people found these very difficult but the maths lecturers at Brookes we had were amazing and I actually really enjoyed Maths. The remainder of the modules are basically a waste of time and a guaranteed pass. There is a module called "Study Skills" which nobody went to for example.

You will do Python again in first semester of first year and you will have an advantage over everyone else who didn't do foundation as you are essentially covering the same thing again. Theres another software module I think but I didn't do that because my course doesn't allow it. You will also have Business Computing which everyone in computing has to take (generally hated by computer science students but IT students dont mind it) Lastly there is discrete maths which I have heard is very easy too.

Second semester you will learn Java which is a step up from Python and will probably involve some effort unless you have previous experience. Business computing is carried on also but this time it involves a large group project where you develop some software in an Agile way. Try and get a decent group for this or it will be hell. I think you need to take a networking course which I've heard is okay too.

I would read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Dawson/dp/1435455002 if you have no previous programming experience. Going in having read the first 6 or so chapters of this book will give you a huge advantage. Remember when you start you can change sets if you ask the head of computing (some lecturers are very good, some are truly awful)

The one thing people need to be aware of when considering coming to Oxford is the costs. Research how much the halls cost (not just monthly but in total because they have different contract lengths. I think Cheney is almost £7000 a year which is ludicrous.), research how much private accommodation costs (most people I know are paying around £120 a week NOT including bills for 52 weeks although it IS possible to get cheaper), pints are around £3.80-£4.00, Brookes shops are an absolute rip off. It might be difficult to live here unless your expecting the maximum student loan + a bursary from Brookes (which are extremely generous) or a lot of financial help from your folks. Lots of my friends struggle because their rent is almost twice their student loans. We are worse off here than London students because the living costs are similar yet for some reason we don't get a larger loan like they do.

Overall I like my course, and I like Brookes but the living costs of Oxford slightly sour the whole experience.
Reply 4
Original post by RoundTrip
I'm on a similar course to Computing that shares many modules so I can probably answer this.
The course will be based at Wheatley campus which is about 4 miles outside of Oxford and will involve a fairly lengthy bus commute. The alternative is to live on campus at Lady Spencer but I wouldn't suggest this as 1. Wheatley is grim 2. Getting back from a night out will involve an expensive taxi ride. Best bet is to live in Headington (Paul Kent, Crescent, Slade, Clive Booth, Cheney (if you can afford))

Foundation is very easy. The only programming you will do is basic Python. If you don't have Maths A Level you may be required to do 1 or 2 maths modules. Some people found these very difficult but the maths lecturers at Brookes we had were amazing and I actually really enjoyed Maths. The remainder of the modules are basically a waste of time and a guaranteed pass. There is a module called "Study Skills" which nobody went to for example.

You will do Python again in first semester of first year and you will have an advantage over everyone else who didn't do foundation as you are essentially covering the same thing again. Theres another software module I think but I didn't do that because my course doesn't allow it. You will also have Business Computing which everyone in computing has to take (generally hated by computer science students but IT students dont mind it) Lastly there is discrete maths which I have heard is very easy too.

Second semester you will learn Java which is a step up from Python and will probably involve some effort unless you have previous experience. Business computing is carried on also but this time it involves a large group project where you develop some software in an Agile way. Try and get a decent group for this or it will be hell. I think you need to take a networking course which I've heard is okay too.

I would read this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Dawson/dp/1435455002 if you have no previous programming experience. Going in having read the first 6 or so chapters of this book will give you a huge advantage. Remember when you start you can change sets if you ask the head of computing (some lecturers are very good, some are truly awful)

The one thing people need to be aware of when considering coming to Oxford is the costs. Research how much the halls cost (not just monthly but in total because they have different contract lengths. I think Cheney is almost £7000 a year which is ludicrous.), research how much private accommodation costs (most people I know are paying around £120 a week NOT including bills for 52 weeks although it IS possible to get cheaper), pints are around £3.80-£4.00, Brookes shops are an absolute rip off. It might be difficult to live here unless your expecting the maximum student loan + a bursary from Brookes (which are extremely generous) or a lot of financial help from your folks. Lots of my friends struggle because their rent is almost twice their student loans. We are worse off here than London students because the living costs are similar yet for some reason we don't get a larger loan like they do.

Overall I like my course, and I like Brookes but the living costs of Oxford slightly sour the whole experience.

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! I have ordered the book and will begin reading it as soon as it arrives, which should be on Wednesday :smile:.

I have seen how expensive the accommodation at Brooke's is and I'm not surprised to be honest due to the area the university is located in. It is annoying but i am currently working full time so i am trying to save as much as possible to make life easier. I will be going on a tour of the university at some point this month and try to get a feel for it myself. I will also be attending the open day in June just to make sure i haven't missed anything.

Once again, i really appreciated your help!

Thanks,

Cameron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending