The Student Room Group

I'm a confused private candidate

I'm self teaching AQA Biology (new spec) , AQA Government&Politics and Edexcel History (new spec). I've been looking at exam centres to do the exams in 2017 , however I'm confused about how much it will cost me. For example Campbell Harris says £60 ,£70 & £120 per unit but I'm not sure how many units my subjects have , so I would like some help to figure this out and if you know any cheaper alternatives please tell me. Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Check the AQA site to find out about your units. Look at the syllabus, and phone the, if you have to.

Campbell Harris and 'proper' external candidate centers always seem to be more expensive. I phoned round all the colleges near to where I live, and eventually found one that would let me sit all my exams, for less than half the price I think. You've just got to put a bit of effort into looking around.
Reply 2
Edexcel history has coursework, how do you plan on doing that?
Reply 3
Original post by zayn008
Edexcel history has coursework, how do you plan on doing that?

I'm with open study college so they will be able to authenticate the history coursework
Reply 4
Original post by MouseyBrown
Check the AQA site to find out about your units. Look at the syllabus, and phone the, if you have to.

Campbell Harris and 'proper' external candidate centers always seem to be more expensive. I phoned round all the colleges near to where I live, and eventually found one that would let me sit all my exams, for less than half the price I think. You've just got to put a bit of effort into looking around.

Are you based in East or South London could you tell me the college you did your exams at? Thank you
Original post by Soul_13
Are you based in East or South London could you tell me the college you did your exams at? Thank you

No I'm in Bristol. Stop being lazy! It's super easy to find local colleges on Google.
Reply 6
Original post by MouseyBrown
No I'm in Bristol. Stop being lazy! It's super easy to find local colleges on Google.[/QU

I have been looking actually , I thought you could of provided one I haven't come across yet
Reply 7
Original post by Soul_13
I'm self teaching AQA Biology (new spec) , AQA Government&Politics and Edexcel History (new spec). I've been looking at exam centres to do the exams in 2017 , however I'm confused about how much it will cost me. For example Campbell Harris says £60 ,£70 & £120 per unit but I'm not sure how many units my subjects have , so I would like some help to figure this out and if you know any cheaper alternatives please tell me. Thank you

Biology - 3 exams plus the (?)12 compulsory practicals
Politics - 4 exams
History - 3 exams plus coursework, so 4 units to pay to enter. (This will have to be marked by the entering centre - any ideas how this is going to be achieved?)
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
Biology - 3 exams plus the (?)12 compulsory practicals
Politics - 4 exams
History - 3 exams plus coursework, so 4 units to pay to enter. (This will have to be marked by the entering centre - any ideas how this is going to be achieved?)

I'm doing History with open study college so they can authenticate my course work. Yh biology with the 12 practicals. Are the units the individual exams? Thank you
Reply 9
Original post by Soul_13
I'm doing History with open study college so they can authenticate my course work. Yh biology with the 12 practicals. Are the units the individual exams? Thank you

They may be able willing to authenticate it but the entering centre has to mark it - it is hard to find a centre willing to do this so make sure you sort this out nice and early.

There will be 3 exams. The practicals don't contribute to the overall grade but you have to do them. I don't know how this gets sorted for private candidates.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
They may be able willing to authenticate it but the entering centre has to mark it - it is hard to find a centre willing to do this so make sure you sort this out nice and early.

There will be 3 exams. The practicals don't contribute to the overall grade but you have to do them. I don't know how this gets sorted for private candidates.

I just hope doing the practicals aren't to expensive , do you think £800 will be enough to cover all exams and practicals
I'm planning to retake modules from Psychology (Edexcel), Religious Studies (AQA) and Sociology (AQA). Any recommendations of exam centres in East London with a reasonable price. Thank you!
Original post by ahmd12345
I'm planning to retake modules from Psychology (Edexcel), Religious Studies (AQA) and Sociology (AQA). Any recommendations of exam centres in East London with a reasonable price. Thank you!

Ask where you took the exams in the first place. If they'll have you back it's likely to be much the cheapest.

Quick Reply

Latest