The Student Room Group

Template for English lit essay?

Anybody got a good A* template i could use?
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you GCSE or A level?
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
Are you GCSE or A level?

GCSE
Reply 3
Original post by ProbablyJade
GCSE

What type of essay is it?
Is it a compare/contrast or is it analysis of one poem?
I have a great one for poetry.. Modern texts is a bit harder ..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Francesca99x
I have a great one for poetry.. Modern texts is a bit harder ..
Posted from TSR Mobile

hey! if you don't mind, can I please see the template for poetry?? awfully stuck with English lit at the moment, any help would be greatly appreciated
Try A-L-S-O

About - couple of sentences that sum up what the poem is literally about and what it is about on a deeper level.

Language - around 5 quotes and at least one with alternative interpretations (for higher grades) that can be analysed against the question you are given.

Structure - how the poem looks to the eye, the rhyming pattern, punctuation (eg caesuras etc) and how the poet uses it to relate to the purpose of them poem.

Objective - the overall purpose of the poem and what the writer is trying to tell/teach the reader. At this point you can reiterate your point in answer to the question.

This got me an A* in my previous mocks so for me it's tried and tested!! If you have any questions on this or revision techniques I would be happy to help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try A-L-S-O

About - couple of sentences that sum up what the poem is literally about and what it is about on a deeper level.

Language - around 5 quotes and at least one with alternative interpretations (for higher grades) that can be analysed against the question you are given.

Structure - how the poem looks to the eye, the rhyming pattern, punctuation (eg caesuras etc) and how the poet uses it to relate to the purpose of them poem.

Objective - the overall purpose of the poem and what the writer is trying to tell/teach the reader. At this point you can reiterate your point in answer to the question.

This got me an A* in my previous mocks so for me it's tried and tested!! If you have any questions on this or revision techniques I would be happy to help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really good way of covering all the areas! I've only so far done a language mock at school so i have no idea where i am at in literature, we haven't even covered all the poems! I will definatley use your poem template if thats alright?

What type of essay is it?
Is it a compare/contrast or is it analysis of one poem?

The one i was looking for was for the character questions for Inspector Calls, so a template for example to answer 'How does Priestley convey Mrs Birling as upholding pretences?'
Go ahead! There are also some great YouTube videos analysing each poem if you want to get ahead of your class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
The one i was looking for was for the character questions for Inspector Calls, so a template for example to answer 'How does Priestley convey Mrs Birling as upholding pretences?'

Yes I would definitely go with Francesca's plan - that is how I do it.
Make sure that when you analyse you pick out subtle points (ideas which aren't obvious)
always find a writing style which is yours and unique, use technical and mature vocab with skill also :smile:
Yes I would definitely go with Francesca's plan - that is how I do it.
Make sure that when you analyse you pick out subtle points (ideas which aren't obvious)
always find a writing style which is yours and unique, use technical and mature vocab with skill also :smile:

Do i need to talk about structure and effect on the reader? Im unsure about those? And at school for context, we were told to talk about Freytag's dramatic arc, and greek plays, is this the type of context you are looking at?
Structure is how the poem looks so how it is set out on the page and how the rhythm sounds - you get higher marks for this as everyone knows how to talk about it. You don't get marks for context in poetry but you sure do for modern texts. What books/poetry cluster are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What books/poetry cluster are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Doing Inspector Calls and To Kill A Mockingbird, and the relationships section of poetry, it more the books i am worried about!
I'm doing inspector calls too, you could try writing a perfect essay plan (like bullet points) for every possible character/theme that could come up and memorising them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing inspector calls too, you could try writing a perfect essay plan (like bullet points) for every possible character/theme that could come up and memorising them?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what i've done, i've made a powerpoint (you can have it if you want it) with all the characters their quote and what i'm going to say and then practicing writing the essays from my notes until i become dependant of them. Will there always be a character question in a paper? Or do i have to learn the themes?
That PowerPoint sounds great if you wouldn't mind sharing!? Usually you get two options one of each but you usually always have to talk about a theme at some point, even if it's just one that relates to the character.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That PowerPoint sounds great if you wouldn't mind sharing!? Usually you get two options one of each but you usually always have to talk about a theme at some point, even if it's just one that relates to the character.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have attached the powerpoint, it could be great if you could give me any feedback. I have pretty much finished all the characters but haven't really started work on the themes, hope you find this useful
Wow! Your PowerPoint is amazing and some really insightful annotations. I've never heard of Freytag's dramatic arc as we've never done it in class so I'm going to learn about that for A level!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow! Your PowerPoint is amazing and some really insightful annotations. I've never heard of Freytag's dramatic arc as we've never done it in class so I'm going to learn about that for A level!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, my English teacher is great! We also compare an inspector calls to quite a lot of greek mythology, but i prefer Freytag, i think it relates better
That's so cool I've had two of my teachers leave through GCSE and now I'm on my third so I've had to do a lot of work independently. Luckily it hasn't put me off literature. Are you taking Lit for A level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending