The Student Room Group

Dark, Sequestered, Lonely Path To 9 A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Username3097486
Btw man, how are you going to fit in finishing mind maps and past papers?

Well I tend to always do a past paper every day, and I usually find it most helpful if i make mind maps on the subject whilst I'm studying it. So For Example: When I do Physics I do:

Mind Maps
Watch YouTube past papers

I try to fit this all in the revision time

Hope you understood :smile:
These threads are horrendously pretentious and make me want to kill myself.
Reply 22
Original post by rohit301099
Ah, i want to go to New York apparently that's where all the action's at atm. I wanted to work at JP Morgan chase, they are really good plus the pay is awesome :biggrin:. Yea, i like the busy central life too. Have found out what area in Inv. Banking you want to work in?

Have you watched suits? Thats what I imagine a successful Inv Bankers life to be like, New York seems awesome I hope it goes well for you. Hmmm the area of Inv. Banking, I hear M&A is pretty decent?
Reply 23
Original post by sulaimanali
You don't do Biology??

Nah I hate bio, for some reason it never really interested me :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by Jimmy Seville

Go right ahead :h:
Original post by HeimIX

Well that's incredibly unsupportive.
Reply 26
Original post by fauziaa
For English im doing AQA. So, for language I either do past papers or get random articles up on the internet and answer the questions for the reading section based on the 3 different articles and for the writing section I'm just practising my writing so constantly writing drafts etc. English literature I'm doing An Inspector Calls & Of Mice and Men so im just doing mind maps of the different themes and characters that are shown in the books and then I write essays on them. Mr Bruff is really good on YouTube aswell.

But personally, I struggle with revising for maths. Apart from doing past papers I don't know how to revise because the text books just don't help me. I've been stuck on an A for the past year and really want an A*, so if anyone has any tips please do share :smile:

Yeah, Im actually terrible at English essays, I find it hard to come up with diverse ways of writing paragraphs etc. I can analyse a poem very well, but writing an essay on it is a no no.

For maths I went from a D to and A in about 2 months, I just watched lots of past papers and did edexcel worksheets which you can find Here. On YouTube there is on guy who helped me tremendously his name is 'Achieve Maths', I used to watch on of his past paper walkthroughs every day before i went to bed. To push yourself to an A* i think theres a GCSE A* Questions only worksheet, i would link it buts its a DOC file so I will link the google page which Is Here and its the last one down :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HeimIX
Yeah, Im actually terrible at English essays, I find it hard to come up with diverse ways of writing paragraphs etc. I can analyse a poem very well, but writing an essay on it is a no no.

For maths I went from a D to and A in about 2 months, I just watched lots of past papers and did edexcel worksheets which you can find Here. On YouTube there is on guy who helped me tremendously his name is 'Achieve Maths', I used to watch on of his past paper walkthroughs every day before i went to bed. To push yourself to an A* i think theres a GCSE A* Questions only worksheet, i would link it buts its a DOC file so I will link the google page which Is Here and its the last one down :smile:

Thank you so much, appreciate the help a lot! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by fauziaa
Thank you so much, appreciate the help a lot! :smile:

No problem, one thing i wanted to ask is how do you mark you English work causes theres no like a set mark scheme like maths, do you give it to your teachers or something?
Original post by HeimIX

LOL :laugh::laugh:
Original post by fauziaa
For English im doing AQA. So, for language I either do past papers or get random articles up on the internet and answer the questions for the reading section based on the 3 different articles and for the writing section I'm just practising my writing so constantly writing drafts etc. English literature I'm doing An Inspector Calls & Of Mice and Men so im just doing mind maps of the different themes and characters that are shown in the books and then I write essays on them. Mr Bruff is really good on YouTube aswell.

But personally, I struggle with revising for maths. Apart from doing past papers I don't know how to revise because the text books just don't help me. I've been stuck on an A for the past year and really want an A*, so if anyone has any tips please do share :smile:

which part do you struggle with? Im literally doing everything the same as you (books, exam boards etc i think) what i do for maths is loads of past papers too, and make some flash cards on the equations and rules for topics i know i will screw up or forget, message me if you need help- that goess to everyone :smile:)
Original post by HeimIX
No problem, one thing i wanted to ask is how do you mark you English work causes theres no like a set mark scheme like maths, do you give it to your teachers or something?

I either get the mark scheme up and mark it myself or ill show the articles to my teacher and my answer and ask my teacher what I would roughly get. But, most of the time I just mark it myself as it's quite easy to see what mark you would've got with the mark scheme up.
Original post by sfaraj
which part do you struggle with? Im literally doing everything the same as you (books, exam boards etc i think) what i do for maths is loads of past papers too, and make some flash cards on the equations and rules for topics i know i will screw up or forget, message me if you need help- that goess to everyone :smile:)

I struggle the most with geometry, it's probably where i lose most of my marks :/ I'm going to try the flash card idea though, thanks :wink:
Reply 33
Original post by HeimIX

What are you doing next year?
Hey, what exam boards do you do because like you I want to get at least 8 A*'s but my mock grades were rubbish. How do you revise and what helps you to stay motivated??
Original post by HeimIX
Konichiwa:u:

So Basically, I've been really angry lately, Ive finally tracked down the root to my problems, after hard and excruciating examinations i finally came up with a conclusion:

I am Stupid.

For my Mock Examinations I got:

English Language: B
English Literature: C
Maths: B
Physics: B
Chemistry: B
RE: A (should of been an A* but unicorns don't exist)
Spanish: A*
Music Technology: B (Merit)
Drama: B (should of been an A* but we breathe air)

Overall I consider these results to be straight up Trash. :/

So I have decided to document my revision everyday for the next 30 days which will be our first GCSE Exam :s-smilie:.

In the Future I would like to Study Economics At Oxford, Cambridge, LSE or Imperial, respectively. After this I want to be a Stock Broker/ Inv. Banker.:colonhash:

My current Year, Year 11 will be the last Year to do the current/old syllabus, this has been staged as another incentive for me to get the best grades possible.

Grades I Want To Get By The End of Year 11:

English Language: A*/A
English Literature: A
Maths: A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A*
RE: A* - Easy
Spanish: A* - Easy
Music Technology: Distinction (A)
Drama: A* - Easy

These are the Grades I will need to get into Wallington Grammar School For Sixth Form (Ive already gotten into my first choice, However I'm not sure whether to pick that or Wallington)

My Revision will Entail:

Going over each topic, making mind maps - I find these to be more effective.

I have printed about 5-6 Past Papers for each Topic and I plan to finish these by the end of the Easter Break.

However I'm still not sure how to revise both (English's? Englishes? Engli?) so any help will be appreciated.

Lastly I have made a Time Table for My revision which is here:

So you can also use it if you find it to be effective for yourself. ( I would like to seize this opportunity to apologise for the diabolical colour scheme, Forgive me.)

TimeTable.png

I would be delighted if any of you embarked on my mission along side me.
This is really just to help me with motivation as Im just a box of lethargy:h:
I shall be posting daily at the specified time on the time table.

Gracias,
Kharis.

Hey,
I am sure you'll get those grades if you work really hard :smile: and efficiently :smile:
Please feel free to have a look at my channel as it might help you a little :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631

Gracias Amigos :smile:
Original post by Jimmy Seville

If it gives people the motivation to revise then let them be I guess
Original post by HeimIX
Have you watched suits? Thats what I imagine a successful Inv Bankers life to be like, New York seems awesome I hope it goes well for you. Hmmm the area of Inv. Banking, I hear M&A is pretty decent?

Oh, yea suits is awesome half way through season 4. M&A is very good but very competitive, i am going to the area too. The hours are long and the works is very hard but if you play your cards right you can earn huge amount of money...but time is a big issue tho, I hear that Analyst work 90-100 hours per week and sometimes even more and their typical work day is from 10 am to 2 am. But i hear that things are not that bad in London (apparently New York is the worst in terms of hours).
Reply 38
Original post by sammio
What are you doing next year?

For A levels:

Maths
Physics
Economics
(not sure for the fourth Computing/ Further Maths)
Reply 39
Original post by rohit301099
Oh, yea suits is awesome half way through season 4. M&A is very good but very competitive, i am going to the area too. The hours are long and the works is very hard but if you play your cards right you can earn huge amount of money...but time is a big issue tho, I hear that Analyst work 90-100 hours per week and sometimes even more and their typical work day is from 10 am to 2 am. But i hear that things are not that bad in London (apparently New York is the worst in terms of hours).

Jeez thats a lot of time XD, its going to be a struggle but the money is defo worth:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest