The Student Room Group

I go to high school in Japan. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limpopo
Do any of your high school friends engage in enjo kosai and if so, what do they say about it?

nope. i go to an all boys school. Enjo kosai isn't really common at all though
Original post by desslop
Oh look! Another weeaboo....

Not really a weeaboo considering I know next to nothing about anime, and my main interests lie in Japanese aesthetics in Buddhism and classical literature, but ok.
Original post by TheTechN1304
There's not really any racism here. I'm not ethnically Japanese though, so I stick out (especially because I have green eyes and and my hair isn't black, which they're amazed by lol).

I guess they're happy, but when they have exams it's stressful. Same in the UK though. GCSEs/A levels are stressful but you're not necessarily unhappy. School starts at 8:25 and finishes at 3:15, but no one leaves at 3:15. Most people stay in the classroom for about 30mins-45mins after school doing work, and then go to clubs until abound 7pm. Near exams, people don't go to clubs and work from when school finishes unitl 9/10pm. I do a lot less work than everyone else because I'm an exchange student and am going to university in the UK, so don't need to take Japanese university entrance exams. I go to a very academic school though, so working unitl 10pm isn't normal here lol

may i know how many gets into todai from ur school every year ?
Original post by Duke Glacia
btw is the juken period over ?

and do u work part itme?

Yes, it's over. It's currently Spring break and school/university entrance ceremonies are next week. I don't work part time.
may i know how many gets into todai from ur school every year ?

Usually around 30 each year. This year 22.
Original post by _icecream
Is it true that Japanese kids are so well behaved. I wish I lived in Japan I loove the culture

Generally speaking, yes!
Original post by TheTechN1304
Usually around 30 each year. This year 22.

Yabasugi jan

how was their study schedule like ?
Original post by Black Cobra
LOOOL. Yes, have no idea whey literally every anime is set in a high school.OP be like:
Tbh schools in Japan are pretty much exactly like the anime lol
Ethnicity?
Reply 49
How do you get into Japanese school as a foreigner? I heard it is very hard to do that
Original post by the bear
Dono ni unagi o taberu teidodesu ka?translation compliance:

Spoiler

I've eaten it like once haha. There's a lot of seafood that I'm not used to eating (sea urchin, crab, squid, octopus, shellfish etc.), so I tend to avoid it.
Why are you living in Japan?
Original post by roarchika
How are you finding studying classical Japanese? Also, do you get asked lots of questions about England and such by your classmates?(Also, do you have to participate in English classes?) So many questions what even.
Classical Japanese is very hard (especially the grammar :eek3:). I joined half way through their 2nd year of high school when everyone had already studied the basics and I hadn't, so I don't understand much. Content-wise though it's fine, as I had already read many of the works we study in English, so I can work out things based on context.

I do get asked a lot of questions about England. I don't mind as it's a good way of starting conversations haha.Yes I participate in English classes. I still find them challenging though because a lot of what they do is translations. English to Japanese is a lot harder for me than Japanese to English. My scores in English exams vary from less than 30% to 100% :lol:

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away haha
Original post by Airfairy
Why are you there?

Original post by ODES_PDES
Why are you living in Japan?

Original post by Proxenus
why did you choose to study there

I chose to come and study here for a year before going to university. I wanted to get to know Japanese culture better and improve my Japanese before going to university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
Oh, I see! Where will you be studying at in the UK?Where do you currently live? Homestay or a dorm or something?

Homestay. I'll be going to Oxford University.
Yabasugi janhow was their study schedule like ?
I didn't really know the 3年生 that well so I'm not sure, but they studied a lot!!
Original post by al_94
How do you get into Japanese school as a foreigner? I heard it is very hard to do that

The school I went to in the UK has a partner school in Japan. My grades were good and the school invited to give me a scholarship to study there for a year.
Original post by martinnmartin
Lol this post attached all the anime fans

Posted from TSR Mobile

LMAO IKR!! It attracted me XD
Does senpai notice you?
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Does senpai notice you?

I am senpai, so... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Quick Reply

Latest