The Student Room Group

Universities for more introverted people?

I didn't really know how to word the question - basically, I'm just wondering what unis there are that aren't really 'party' unis (where nights out are a huge thing and there isn't as much of a nightlife culture etc)?? Are Imperial, Kings, Surrey and Oxbridge like this? What other unis are there? Ty
Open University
Original post by Rocketship
I didn't really know how to word the question - basically, I'm just wondering what unis there are that aren't really 'party' unis (where nights out are a huge thing and there isn't as much of a nightlife culture etc)?? Are Imperial, Kings, Surrey and Oxbridge like this? What other unis are there? Ty

Pretty much all universities have students who want to party and those who don't, its just that the partygoers tend to be louder and thus more noticeable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
My experience of Oxford was that many students partied damn hard when given the opportunity. Plenty didn't though, and led quiet lives.

A uni is like any community - some like partying, some don't, some do occasionally. Nobody will force you to be a mad party animal if you don't want to.
Places where there just aren't really any clubs, so anywhere in major or medium sized cities is pretty much crossed off the list. I think Surrey would fit the bill, maybe Warwick and Durham too.
to be honest, from what I've heard, where ever you are some students will find somewhere to drink a lot... but where ever you are you can avoid those people and make friends on your course/in societies who are quieter
Reply 6
University Centre Peterborough :smile: although there are some loud hard core party people, there is a large bunch who just like a quiet night in :biggrin:
I'm in my final year at Exeter and I would say there isn't a very big party scene. You can easily involve yourself in societies and feel social without having to drink or go clubbing or go to house parties. I'd agree with Durham and Warwick (have friends at both) as well as Falmouth, Royal Holloway, and perhaps Bristol even. I would say that wherever you are you can find groups of people where the nightlife isn't top of the agenda, and usually the sort of WOOONIGHTOUT mentality starts to fizzle out after the first year when you've got to know people and you begin to just hang out and do stuff together. I would advise smaller cities with more of a campus feel, I like that I can walk through Exeter town centre at night and it is fairly quiet and there aren't people falling around vomiting.
Exeter
Original post by Helloworld_95
Places where there just aren't really any clubs, so anywhere in major or medium sized cities is pretty much crossed off the list. I think Surrey would fit the bill, maybe Warwick and Durham too.

Durhams nightlife is actually quite good!
Pick your university based on academic merits, and possibly physical location if you have a very strong preference (example: being in London makes me ill, so I flat out ruled out all London universities when applying). Everything else - and I do mean everything else - is vastly less important, and varies vastly less between universities, than people make it out to be.
St Andrews is quiet
Original post by nomad992
Durhams nightlife is actually quite good!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

said no one ever
Original post by InadequateJusticex
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

said no one ever

ahah, well it is a nice change of pace compared to newcastle for me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending