The Student Room Group

AMA - 16 year old girl with an eating disorder

I never talk about my eating disorder IRL or online without being anonymous, so ask away :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What kind of eating disorder is it?
Anorexia?
Binge eating?
Bulimia?
Reply 2
Original post by Joel 96
What kind of eating disorder is it?
Anorexia?
Binge eating?
Bulimia?

Anorexia.
What do you think about pro-ana sites?

Also how long have you had it for?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Anorexia.

Okay, you don't have to answer these, but I would appreciate it as anorexia has always been a fascination of mine.

What age did you start to develop anorexia symptoms?
Do you find that your anorexia disrupts your social life?
How much do you currently weigh/bmi?
Have you suffered other problems because of your anorexia (such as depression, dizziness, self-harm)?
And what do you actually see in the mirror when you look at yourself?

~ Thanks!
Reply 5
What do you think about pro-ana sites?

Also how long have you had it for?

Deep down I know pro-ana sites are terrible and unhealthy but that doesn't stop me from going on MPA daily. It's nice to be in an environment where people have the same mindset as you and can understand you. It's a supportive environment.

And, I'd say it's hard to place when it began. I can always remember having strange eating habits as a child and I have always had low self-esteem and a bad body image. I've had fluctuations in my eating disorder with extreme periods to period where it's not too noticeable, but it's always there. I'd say the first time it got extreme was probably when I was about 13.
...it says your post was made in 1970...?
groovy, baby. peace + love
shaggedelic
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96
Okay, you don't have to answer these, but I would appreciate it as anorexia has always been a fascination of mine.

Have you suffered other problems because of your anorexia (such as depression, dizziness, self-harm)?

~ Thanks!

you are taking full advantage of this thread :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by AlmightyJesus

Just a fairly frequent glitch on TSR. 01-01-1970 is the Unix epoch and all that.
Reply 9
Original post by AlmightyJesus

Glitch in the system. Happens on some threads.

Original post by fatima1998
you are taking full advantage of this thread :colondollar:

Haha, I guess. I hope I'm not coming off too excited or curious.
Original post by Joel 96

~ Thanks!

It's fine! I don't mind when I'm anonymous. I'd be interested to know why you've always been fascinated with anorexia though!

1. See my answer to Anon 2's question!
2. Yes. I'd say there's a fair few events that I've either declined because I've been too scared of the expectation of eating or either attended but felt terrible while I'm there. Christmas is an absolute nightmare for me. I spent my first Christmas away from home in 2015 and not being able to have a safe place to purge (sorry if this is TMI) was horrendous. I feel like my relatives must think I'm a very strange and anxious person when they see me at family gatherings!!
3. I don't want to go into specifics but I know that I'm technically classed as 'underweight' with BMI though I don't feel like it. And around 100 pounds but it fluctuates. I only weigh myself once a week!!
4. Dizziness, headaches, tiredness, depression, anxiety, self-hatred.. yeah. Though I've never actually fainted yet, so that's an achievement.
5. I don't like what I see in the mirror. I don't understand how the scale can say that I'm underweight but in the mirror I just look fat.

Hope that answered your questions! Sorry I'm so depressing.
Original post by Joel 96

~ Thanks!

Other problems I forgot to mention: forgetfulness (how ironic :colondollar:), freezing cold ALL THE TIME (especially hands and feet), fits of uncontrollable shivering/shaking.
It's fine! I don't mind when I'm anonymous. I'd be interested to know why you've always been fascinated with anorexia though!

1. See my answer to Anon 2's question!
2. Yes. I'd say there's a fair few events that I've either declined because I've been too scared of the expectation of eating or either attended but felt terrible while I'm there. Christmas is an absolute nightmare for me. I spent my first Christmas away from home in 2015 and not being able to have a safe place to purge (sorry if this is TMI) was horrendous. I feel like my relatives must think I'm a very strange and anxious person when they see me at family gatherings!!
3. I don't want to go into specifics but I know that I'm technically classed as 'underweight' with BMI though I don't feel like it. And around 100 pounds but it fluctuates. I only weigh myself once a week!!
4. Dizziness, headaches, tiredness, depression, anxiety, self-hatred.. yeah. Though I've never actually fainted yet, so that's an achievement.
5. I don't like what I see in the mirror. I don't understand how the scale can say that I'm underweight but in the mirror I just look fat.

Hope that answered your questions! Sorry I'm so depressing.

I really appreciate this, thank you. You needn't apologize. Your answer to number 5 really interests me (how the brain can distort vision like that, etc).

As a male, anorexia isn't as common for us, however, I've spent a great deal of my life with symptoms that come close to it. I am very picky with my food, though I haven't been classed as anorexic due to the fact that I'm not self-conscious or actually trying to lose weight. I can relate to the Christmas dinner point, and I really do empathise with your situation. If you ever need to talk to someone, don't be shy. As for now, I wish you the best.

~
Edit:
Other problems I forgot to mention: forgetfulness (how ironic :colondollar:), freezing cold ALL THE TIME (especially hands and feet), fits of uncontrollable shivering/shaking.

:biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Joel 96
I really appreciate this, thank you. You needn't apologize. Your answer to number 5 really interests me (how the brain can distort vision like that, etc).

As a male, anorexia isn't as common for us, however, I've spent a great deal of my life with symptoms that come close to it. I am very picky with my food, though I haven't been classed as anorexic due to the fact that I'm not self-conscious or actually trying to lose weight. I can relate to the Christmas dinner point, and I really do empathise with your situation. If you ever need to talk to someone, don't be shy. As for now, I wish you the best.

~
Edit:

:biggrin:

Thank you, this is a lovely response! It's interesting what you're saying, and I think for men eating disorders can manifest themselves in slightly different ways. And I hope you don't mind if I take you up on that one day, it'd be nice to talk to someone with a fresh perspective. I wish you the best, too!
Reply 14
On a daily basis what kinds of foods/drink do you allow yourself to consume?
How supportive were your school when you were first diagnosed?
Did you find it difficult to manage studying and your ED?
Have you ever been threatened with IP/weight restoration?
I use MPA & at times, I feel like it enables my behaviours, but other times it makes me feel less alone. Could you ever imagine yourself not using it? (I honestly don't think I could haha)
Lastly, are you considering recovery?

I'm sorry you're going through this & I hope the best for you x
Original post by aarora
On a daily basis what kinds of foods/drink do you allow yourself to consume?

Drinks - only ever water and herbal tea (if sweetened, with truvia). I drink a lot of water and tea!

Food - I'm vegan, so that makes me feel a lot safer in the food I eat. And then, more carb based foods rather than fatty or sugary foods. And I feel a lot better eating fruit and veg and carbs than I do eating processed vegan food. I typically eat at least a banana a day, no food on a good day, but most days it'll be a banana/other fruit item plus some of whatever my family is having for tea.
What was the last thing you had to eat, and when?
Original post by YaYazooGirl
How supportive were your school when you were first diagnosed?
Did you find it difficult to manage studying and your ED?
Have you ever been threatened with IP/weight restoration?
I use MPA & at times, I feel like it enables my behaviours, but other times it makes me feel less alone. Could you ever imagine yourself not using it? (I honestly don't think I could haha)
Lastly, are you considering recovery?

I'm sorry you're going through this & I hope the best for you x

1. I've never been diagnosed. But I know I have an eating disorder, from the basis of my very disordered eating behaviour. The idea of diagnosis is terrifying to me and makes it seem a lot more real and a lot more public.
2. Yes!!! Headaches and tiredness while revising isn't fun. Forgetfulness isn't helpful either. I get distracted very easily and I find it hard to focus.
3. Not officially by a doctor or anything. I try to keep my ED under wraps as much as possible.
4. I feel like it's a necessary part of my day! I couldn't imagine myself not using it and I completely agree and understand with your POV. It definitely supports me, but also encourages my behaviours.
5. AHH. Recovery. I feel like I'm not at a low enough BMI to get professional recovery yet. I am 'underweight' but I don't look skeletal enough. Part of me wants to recover because I hate feeling like this, but part of me doesn't because I feel like this disorder is ME, it is my identity. And I don't want to lose any of the progress I've made.
What was the last thing you had to eat, and when?

A banana at quarter to nine this morning :banana:

Quick Reply