The Student Room Group

Croydon man arrested by police, released without charge

We've all heard the story about the Croydon man who allegedly challenged a Muslim woman about Brussels being arrested.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/26/charges-dropped-against-man-who-confronted-muslim-woman-croydon

mfw released without charge

mfw police admit they were wrong to even arrest him

mfw when police should be dealing with actual crime and terrorism

mfw launching a formal complaint against the police

mfw free speech

Can't foil the Doyle

Scroll to see replies

I hate living in Croydon :frown:
It was pretty stupid he was arrested at all, so it's good the police realised what morons they were and dropped the charges.
Original post by Dirty Dawah

mfw police admit they were wrong to even arrest him

It doesn't say that read it again.
Original post by TSRFT8
Its a shame stupidity is not a criminal offence. He would definitely be charged under that.

So would the police then for not knowing the laws they are supposed to enforce.
Reply 5
Original post by DiddyDec
So would the police then for not knowing the laws they are supposed to enforce.

The police should apologise unreservedly for wrongful arrest and imprisonment and be required to compensate him. $100,000 should teach the police a lesson and help them to remember not to be such jack-booted Nazis in the future.
Original post by TSRFT8
Its a shame stupidity is not a criminal offence. He would definitely be charged under that.

Yeah what a shame, everyone would be in jail by 2017. What a shame we dont criminalise stupidity. We could start with your post. Fancy it?
Original post by TSRFT8

is this the "liberal tolerance" I've heard so much about?
Reply 8
Original post by Howard
The police should apologise unreservedly for wrongful arrest and imprisonment and be required to compensate him. $100,000 should teach the police a lesson and help them to remember not to be such jack-booted Nazis in the future.

My honest reaction was that he should receive 20k compensation for loss of earnings and how this affair thrust him into the spotlight without his consent, it's utterly diabolical.
Original post by Howard

They should have to compensate him personally, the people who ordered / authorised the arrest should have t hand over their personal money, that will really teach them.
Original post by The_Opinion
They should have to compensate him personally, the people who ordered / authorised the arrest should have t hand over their personal money, that will really teach them.

This is a better idea.

Enough tax payers money was wasted on the initial wrongful inquiry, the people actually personally responsible should take the hit, even if it means remortgaging their houses, I simply do not care. It's disgusting.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
This is a better idea.

Enough tax payers money was wasted on the initial wrongful inquiry, the people actually personally responsible should take the hit, even if it means remortgaging their houses, I simply do not care. It's disgusting.

I would also apply this when councils, schools etc. do really stupid things and get sued. I constantly read about government ran organisations getting sued as a result of stupidity, but they and the staff don't suffer, they usually even keep their jobs. If they had to personally pay compensation, the stupidity would end.
Total waste of resources
I would also apply this when councils, schools etc. do really stupid things and get sued. I constantly read about government ran organisations getting sued as a result of stupidity, but they and the staff don't suffer, they usually even keep their jobs. If they had to personally pay compensation, the stupidity would end.

I agree with this, the taxpayer suffers for individual incompetence.
Reply 14

I agree. He should sue the individuals concerned. He's been wrongfully arrested and imprisoned. His name has been plastered all over the papers. He could well end up losing his job. His reputation has been tarnished. It's not good enough that a bunch of malicious incompetent PC Plods should be able to simply shrug their shoulders and walk off as if nothing happened.

The police need to understand that they are nothing more that tax-payer funded civil servants; fellow citizens whose job it is to keep the peace, not behave like the Stasi by arresting and detaining people on trumped up charges.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Howard
I agree. He should sue the individuals concerned. He's been wrongfully arrested and imprisoned. His name has been plastered all over the papers. He could well end up losing his job. His reputation has been tarnished. It's not good enough that a bunch of malicious incompetent PC Plods should be able to simply shrug their shoulders and walk off as if nothing happened.

The police need to understand that they are nothing more that tax-payer funded civil servants; fellow citizens whose job it is to keep the peace, not behave like the Stasi by arresting and detaining people on trumped up charges.

You're god damn right.

He has suffered damages as a result of police malpractice and as such should be recompensed
He didn't get charged, the police just asked him a few questions, boo hoo now people are saying he should get compensation from the taxpayer.

Are we going to have to compensate the Muslim woman who he confronted about the terrorist attacks because maybe her feelings were hurt and she was triggered?
Reply 17
Original post by MagicNMedicine
He didn't get charged, the police just asked him a few questions, boo hoo now people are saying he should get compensation from the taxpayer.

Are we going to have to compensate the Muslim woman who he confronted about the terrorist attacks because maybe her feelings were hurt and she was triggered?

No. We're saying he should sue the individual PC Plods directly. Read the thread Fred.

If the Muslim he 'confronted" (rather; asked a question of) has hurt feelings then she can sue the man in question.

I'm sure even you can see that there's a big difference between wrongful arrest, wrongful imprisonment, having your name splashed over the front pages, being smeared as a racist, and (probably) losing your livelihood than being asked a question in the street.

And btw, he WAS actually charged. The charges were dropped when the CPS decided the clowns in uniform that pass themselves off as law enforcement didn't have a leg to stand on.
(edited 8 years ago)

Well, no. According to the article linked he was charged (and a court date set). The charges were then withdrawn when it emerged they had been made illegally after the CPS heard about it. That sounds like a good case for compensation.

In any event, the claimed police investigation must have been a shoddy one, as nothing in the tweet appears to incite racial or religious hatred anyway.

According to the article the "confrontation" was a polite conversation. Even if it wasn't, there are no "safe spaces", no spared feelings, in the real world, no matter what the NUS may tell you.
(edited 8 years ago)

If he took pictures of her and plastered them around the internet claiming she is a terrorist whilst wrongfully imprisoning her, then yes.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending