The Student Room Group

Is watching esports taking over watching football among kids in england?

if you are from england can u tell me?
You've asked this already. No. It never will either.

Slightly more popular than sumo wrestling but less popular than Irish road bowling.
No chance, watching people play CoD and other such games is painful.
lol, that's never gunna happen, you seem to have little understanding of how big football is in England, especially how this years premier league is turning out. Watching some bloke play cs go is really not up to par with football
My biggest problem with e-sports is that it is framed entirely in an American form of entertainment which just doesn't work for me. There are so many breaks, too much analysis between games, so I just watch other content instead, then watch the finals as VoDs.

E-sports is gaining popularity, they are building an e-sport venue in London, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I think it's honestly already at the point of no return in terms of building a stable foundation, and decent standards. Plenty of players have already been caught taking drugs and there isn't really a way of fixing it now.
Original post by longasuo
if you are from england can u tell me?

I live in england and my friends and I are already watching a lot of League of Legends and hoping SKT win all their matches...

And they did... GO FAKER

lol
Original post by EvilScientist
I live in england and my friends and I are already watching a lot of League of Legends and hoping SKT win all their matches...

And they did... GO FAKER

lol

BTW I hate football
Nope.... main reason?

Video games don't really excite people who don't play them. I also don't mean in general, more as that specific game. Say there is a LoL or starcraft II game on esports, I can tolerate it but I wouldn't choose to watch it seeing I understand absolutely nothing about the hyper competitive side despite being a gamer myself and having dabbled in those games myself (especially star-craft). When it comes to people like my parents, non gaming/nerdy friends etc nothing at all will encourage them to watch the sport.

By comparison with other sports such as football, cricket, rugby, ice-hockey etc are much easier for people to follow and are outside the gamer niche.

Tbh the most I can watch in terms of esport is counterstrike, but only to a certain extent. I also don't understand why certain games are so popular. Again using counterstrike as an example, I will never understand why such an inherently broken game still proves to be so popular, never mind those like CoD, Halo, LoL etc.

Original post by JustaSpork
My biggest problem with e-sports is that it is framed entirely in an American form of entertainment which just doesn't work for me. There are so many breaks, too much analysis between games, so I just watch other content instead, then watch the finals as VoDs.

E-sports is gaining popularity, they are building an e-sport venue in London, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I think it's honestly already at the point of no return in terms of building a stable foundation, and decent standards. Plenty of players have already been caught taking drugs and there isn't really a way of fixing it now.

The main difference is most people don't care if people take recreational drugs..... it's like wow! young people taking cocaine.... shocker there.

I mostly don't understand why such hype surrounds these things where most of the hype seems to come from the advertisers, broadcasters and gaming media themselves.

All the gaming groups I've been involved in and my current gaming clan may have the odd mention of a good game, but by large all I've really seen as a result of such stories, esport controversies etc is the respective comment section having a few comments and that's about it. Even at Lan Parties and Gaming festivals I've never really experience a massive buzz regarding esport events unless you go to the first few rows, everyone else seems quite indifferent.

Tbh for esports to improve the games need to improve and I personally think competitive style games are pretty rubbish atm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by DanB1991
Nope.... main reason?

Video games don't really excite people who don't play them. I also don't mean in general, more as that specific game. Say there is a LoL or starcraft II game on esports, I can tolerate it but I wouldn't choose to watch it seeing I understand absolutely nothing about the hyper competitive side despite being a gamer myself and having dabbled in those games myself (especially star-craft). When it comes to people like my parents, non gaming/nerdy friends etc nothing at all will encourage them to watch the sport.

By comparison with other sports such as football, cricket, rugby, ice-hockey etc are much easier for people to follow and are outside the gamer niche.

Tbh the most I can watch in terms of esport is counterstrike, but only to a certain extent. I also don't understand why certain games are so popular. Again using counterstrike as an example, I will never understand why such an inherently broken game still proves to be so popular, never mind those like CoD, Halo, LoL etc.

The main difference is most people don't care if people take recreational drugs..... it's like wow! young people taking cocaine.... shocker there.

I mostly don't understand why such hype surrounds these things where most of the hype seems to come from the advertisers, broadcasters and gaming media themselves.

All the gaming groups I've been involved in and my current gaming clan may have the odd mention of a good game, but by large all I've really seen as a result of such stories, esport controversies etc is the respective comment section having a few comments and that's about it. Even at Lan Parties and Gaming festivals I've never really experience a massive buzz regarding esport events unless you go to the first few rows, everyone else seems quite indifferent.

Tbh for esports to improve the games need to improve and I personally think competitive style games are pretty rubbish atm.

Totally agree!
Original post by longasuo
Totally agree!

Then why do you make this thread asking this question every few days in every forum like a psychopath?

Quick Reply

Latest