The Student Room Group

Do I need to be a solicitor to work in a Law Firm in corporate law?

My question is:

Do I need to be a solicitor to work in a Law Firm in corporate law?

I'm not quite clear on this.

Scroll to see replies

No, but thats the most common way of doing it.
You can also qualify to become a legal executive.which combines working part time and studying p/t. Theres a graduate fast track diploma if you have a degree and a slower route which requires just GCSE's.

You cna find all the information here
https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/legalexecutive.aspx

http://www.cilex.org.uk/
Reply 2
If you want to do 'proper' law - IE carry out the regulated activities, then you need to be a solicitor.

Becoming a CILEx (legal executive) is not the same, since you are not an Officer of the Court, you do not have a primary duty to 'the Courts' or the Law itself, and are not bound by legal privilege, which means you can be compelled to give evidence against your client at court if you are a CILEx or somesuch. They also hate being told that, so I await the flaming that will no doubt follow.

Try being a paralegal. Or other support staff as others have mentioned, but to deal with the 'meat' of the matters, you need to be a qualified solicitor.
Original post by Mimir
If you want to do 'proper' law - IE carry out the regulated activities, then you need to be a solicitor.

Becoming a CILEx (legal executive) is not the same, since you are not an Officer of the Court, you do not have a primary duty to 'the Courts' or the Law itself, and are not bound by legal privilege, which means you can be compelled to give evidence against your client at court if you are a CILEx or somesuch. They also hate being told that, so I await the flaming that will no doubt follow.

Try being a paralegal. Or other support staff as others have mentioned, but to deal with the 'meat' of the matters, you need to be a qualified solicitor.

What is proper law?

You have anything to back this up?

1. I have been told a LE can carry out reserved and regulated activities just by virtue of being an employee in a law firm, they just do it under supervision or they can apply to CILEX for such authorisation. They can apply for rights of audience and certification to conduct litigation from CILEX. I dont know for certain, what all the implications are on being granted audience and advocacy rights, but I cnat see how part of that inst owing a duty to the court?

As it's corporate law the OP mentions then its highly unlikely they wouldn't be working with other solicitors as part of a large team. Paralegals is just a generic term and cosnsist heavily of people who have done LPC and cant get a TC amd looking for one. there are some career paras.

2. Is there some authority to say they arent bound by legal privilege? The last case I looked at was the Prudential case which is 2013, so I'm not up to date, but that was a Supreme court case which confirms they are counted as legal advisers along with solicitors and barristers. Not aware of things having changed?
http://www.allenovery.com/publications/en-gb/Pages/Supreme-Court-considers-whether-to-extend-scope-of-legal-advice-privilege-to-accountants.aspx

3. An experienced LE will get work based on their competency experience and training. they have the option to go on to be a solictor if they wish to at a later date. Not for everyone, but it can be a cost effective way in the profession starting with just GCSE's bypassing the expense of a degree and the debt. A LE with enough experience can also be exempt from having to do a TC.

I'm not sure what this meat of the matter they might miss out on in terms of corporate law? They are just another fee earner.

FTAOD I am not CILEX.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for your answers guys. From what I understand I would indeed need to be a solicitor. I am talking about entering the industry as a trainee, then associate and eventually (hopefully) become a partner. This should make it clearer.
I'm just starting my LLB and I had my eyes on a Masters in Corporate Law after it. Do you reckon the route should be:

-LLB
-Masters Corporate Law
-LPC
-Trainee Contract

Or
-LLB
-LPC
-Trainee Contract
-Masters Corporate Law

Thanks again
Original post by Mark La Rosa
I'm just starting my LLB and I had my eyes on a Masters in Corporate Law after it. Do you reckon the route should be:

How are you just starting your LLB?
The masters isn't really necessary, only do it if you personally want to - I wouldn't bother, save the money. What university will you be attending?What are your A-Levels like?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
What is proper law?

You have anything to back this up?

Solicitors Act 1974

The CPR
Reply 8
Thanks for your answers guys. From what I understand I would indeed need to be a solicitor. I am talking about entering the industry as a trainee, then associate and eventually (hopefully) become a partner. This should make it clearer.

-LLB
-Masters Corporate Law
-LPC
-Trainee Contract

Or
-LLB
-LPC
-Trainee Contract
-Masters Corporate Law

Thanks again

The LLM won't add value. Look at getting work experience and vacation schemes instead.
Original post by Mimir
Solicitors Act 1974

The CPR

Go on then back it up and indicate the relevant bits.
Original post by Mimir
Solicitors Act 1974

The CPR

If you think that then I suggest that you go and do some research.

You can start with schedule 3 to the Legal Services Act 2007.
Original post by nulli tertius
If you think that then I suggest that you go and do some research.

You can start with schedule 3 to the Legal Services Act 2007.

@nulli tertius
I could point it out to him, but its not worth the effort. I found the snobbery against Cilex ridiculous. Its a good path for some.

OP I dont think the LLM will give you much, plus you have the expense. Up to you though and it wouldnt be entirely useless, bery little knowledhe is. If you have to do it then I think you'd find it a bit impractical after your TC because you will be working then, unless you want to do it part time.

If you hit a bump, then plenty of people who finish the LPC become paras for a while to pay the bills. Just work hard and get good grades.
Original post by 999tigger
@nulli tertius
I could point it out to him, but its not worth the effort. I found the snobbery against Cilex ridiculous. Its a good path for some.

OP I dont think the LLM will give you much, plus you have the expense. Up to you though and it wouldnt be entirely useless, bery little knowledhe is. If you have to do it then I think you'd find it a bit impractical after your TC because you will be working then, unless you want to do it part time.

If you hit a bump, then plenty of people who finish the LPC become paras for a while to pay the bills. Just work hard and get good grades.

I have been a solicitor for over 25 years and I employ Cilexes.
Original post by nulli tertius
I have been a solicitor for over 25 years and I employ Cilexes.

I just dislike snobbery and elitism. Whether its the office boy, doorman or secretary I respect everyone I work with for what they can do and what they contribute.
Original post by TSRFT8
How are you just starting your LLB?

I'm starting in October, that's what I meant.

Thanks everyone. The whole picture is much much clearer now.
I'm attending the Open University. I'm 29 years old, so I guess you'd call me a mature student, and I'm really looking at some way to break into the industry even against the odds. I haven't had the chance of starting my degree any earlier so I'll just take it from here. I don't have any A levels though. I'm originally from Italy where I graduated with a Classic Diploma with 100/100 in all of the subjects. The main ones were philosophy, maths, economy and english so I guess that would translate in something along these lines A*-A*-A*-A*. I was looking to getting into Cambridge for the Masters in Corporate Law to sort of make up for the more than normal university that I'm attending. Do you think that would be necessary?
Original post by J-SP
Your Italian diploma grades are fine. The open degree will be ok too - it will be obvious that your a mature applicant/student and as long as you get good module grades, if anything your application will be looked at favourably because you are combining it with (what I am guessing is) full time work.

The only issue with doing a distance course is the lack of opportunity to network. Not only network with other students and gain their insight into recruitment processes with commercial firms, but more so networking with firms on campus. So you will have to be a bit more proactive in networking yourself, which I know won't be easy balancing it with studying, work and other commitments.

If it was me, I'd be applying for all the opportunities whether they are first year programmes, vacation schemes or open days. If you get to the end of your degree and you still haven't secured a TC, then maybe pursue a LLM, but you'd probably be better placed in funding your professional courses (currently the LPC) rather than an LLM.

I don't think a LLM at Cambridge (or similar uni) would be necessary though. They are difficult to get into, extortionate unless you have some substantial sponsorship/bursary, and won't necessarily give you an advantage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. Your opinion is very articulate and much appreciated. It's nice to hear that I could very well avoid paying 30K plus living expenses and instead invest that money in the LPC and still save more than half. In terms of networking I get what you mean which is sort of why I'm getting very active on LinkedIn as of right now. I am indeed working full time, I'm an entrepreneur, I own a cleaning company with 6 employees and that gives me enough time to study (finally). I won't be happy with anything less than a first though. I will be ready for my TC at the age of 35/36. Still in time but with a lot of work to do.
Original post by J-SP
Look out for networking events on Eventbrite and on LinkedIn. You will just need to be more proactive in going to these career events run by firms. A lot of other students are fortunate to have them run on their doorstep and around their lectures.

You are also fortunate to have a lot of time to gather this experience and knowledge where your course is part-time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you happen to know about any open day/first year programmes etc. please do let me know. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to find out about these.
I do have another question: do I have to get a trainee contract first and then start the LPC or start the LPC and then get a trainee contract? How does that work? And is there any chance that my employer will pay for the LPC?
I do have another question: do I have to get a trainee contract first and then start the LPC or start the LPC and then get a trainee contract? How does that work? And is there any chance that my employer will pay for the LPC?

You can do the LPC without the TC and I think the majority of people do. However, in my opinion it is preferable (if possible) to get the TC first and then do the LPC. Some firms will pay for the LPC (and give you some money for living expenses during the LPC year). Chambers Student/Lex100 would be good resources to find out more about the funding situation if you have your eye on any firms/areas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending