The Student Room Group

Is a B at GCSE maths good enough to do it for A - level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sportycb
To be honest it depends how much you like graphs.

I got an A at GCSE but a D at A-Level (an E at AS Level).
My problem was the only area I didn't get very well at GCSE was graphs and geometry. Then I started my AS levels and my maths teacher said; "This term we are doing is C1. It is all geomerty". I thought "oh well at least I can get it over and done with it. I scraped a C. Then we started the next term; "Leading on from what we did in C1"!! This was the same for all 4 core modules.
I got a B in Decisions maths and a C in Statistics but got Es for all my core modules (and 2 of those were on resits).

What even.
Original post by Zacken
What even.

LMFAO :toofunny:
Reply 42
Original post by Student403
LMFAO :toofunny:

Can't do geometry, brb going to go resit my AS maths and fail it. :lol:
Original post by Zacken

C1 = all geometry sorry Zain :no:
Reply 44
Original post by Student403
C1 = all geometry sorry Zain :no:

I'll have to hope for 50 UMS in C1 tbh :cry:
I got a B in GCSE mathematics, got 290UMS in my AS and doing Further Mathematics+A2 maths in one year(also doing Step1+Step2 for Warwick)

It's not impossible, but I'm lazy and did 0 work(I legitimately mean this, 0 work) and got like 50% attendance throughout my GCSE's(I was addicted to WOW at the time).

Every single other person in my position failed out but either due to stubbornness or 'mental fortitude' I managed to succeed.

I had to do a lot of catchup for my lack of GCSE knowledge, I think that's probably the main inhibitor to success at A-level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Zacken
"SMC" lol. :rolleyes:

or STEP for yourself (not that it really provides a foundation for that!)
Do you have offers for maths?
Reply 47
Original post by Zacken

Is this a joke or are you actually taking the piss out of this person? :colonhash:
I entered AS maths with a C at GCSE and not knowing how to cross multiply. Now, I'm getting A's in the modules I've completed and people now ask me for help. :tongue:

I believe you could get an F and still do A level Maths. It's all about how hard you're prepared to work tbh
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Jitesh
or STEP for yourself (not that it really provides a foundation for that!)
Do you have offers for maths?

A-Level does provide a foundation, but not one that you revel or are excited by, but more of a necessary "well, gotta learn this and do these boring questions before I can go on and do more interesting things like STEP/Uni-stuff". I've got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL for maths, yeah.

Original post by Ano123
Is this a joke or are you actually taking the piss out of this person? :colonhash:

Taking the piss and joking. :tongue:
I got a C at GCSE in Maths and then B at A level.
I don't think it really matters. A friend of mine got a D or C at GCSE maths. He didn't get a Cambridge offer sadly but he did get 2s at STEP (which is difficult) and now studies at Warwick.

Getting a B at GCSE maths probably shows gaps in learning but they're gaps you can fill in yourself :smile:.

Original post by Sportycb
To be honest it depends how much you like graphs.

I got an A at GCSE but a D at A-Level (an E at AS Level).
My problem was the only area I didn't get very well at GCSE was graphs and geometry. Then I started my AS levels and my maths teacher said; "This term we are doing is C1. It is all geomerty". I thought "oh well at least I can get it over and done with it. I scraped a C. Then we started the next term; "Leading on from what we did in C1"!! This was the same for all 4 core modules.
I got a B in Decisions maths and a C in Statistics but got Es for all my core modules (and 2 of those were on resits).

I see :console:. I'm really sorry to hear that. Did you not try to improve your weak areas? Are you going to resit anything?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Zacken
A-Level does provide a foundation, but not one that you revel or are excited by, but more of a necessary "well, gotta learn this and do these boring questions before I can go on and do more interesting things like STEP/Uni-stuff". I've got offers from Cambz, Warwick, Imperial and UCL for maths, yeah.

Taking the piss and joking. :tongue:

I guess.
But from that perspective, did you start your a-level maths quite early on then? Were you interested, in the slightest, by it?
Know a guy who got A* at GCSE and bombed A level with an E

Know a guy who went from a C to an A*

Neither A level nor GCSE are hard, but you need the right attitude. Someone who is average could do well if they were inspired.
Reply 54
Original post by Jitesh
I guess.
But from that perspective, did you start your a-level maths quite early on then? Were you interested, in the slightest, by it?

I liked and was interested in the content, I was bored and disinterested by the questions.
Reply 55
Original post by Zacken
I liked and was interested in the content, I was bored and disinterested by the questions.

And STEP questions excite you?
Reply 56
Original post by Jitesh
And STEP questions excite you?

Yeps.
Original post by Mahfuz_A
I'm very likely to get a B grade at maths in the 2016 exams.
My question is: Will this grade be good enough to do A2 maths?
AND
Will a B at GCSE be enough to achieve an A at A2 maths?

To be honest if you get a B in GCSE it doesn't mean you can't get an A at A2 my friends brother got a B for GCSE and then in all 6 exams he got straight A's at A2.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
Know a guy who got A* at GCSE and bombed A level with an E

Know a guy who went from a C to an A*

Neither A level nor GCSE are hard, but you need the right attitude. Someone who is average could do well if they were inspired.

I'm getting a C at the moment do you think it's possible for me to get a B or more?
If I am perfectly honest I would say that an A star in GCSE is what you should be aiming for (if you want to do A level maths!) Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest