The Student Room Group

I'm autistic, AMA

I also have dyspraxia

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspergDyspraKid
I also have dyspraxia

What was/is your favourite subject to study at school?
Reply 2
Interesting combination. :smile:
how does that affect you?
Original post by cherryred90s

He/she sounds like a Science kinda person.
Happy autism awareness day :smile:
Reply 6
i have both those things too
How does it manifest itself?
How does it affect you and the biggest drawbacks?
Original post by Proxenus

Are you autistic too?
- Do you have many friends?
- Do you prefer hanging out with autistic people or non-autistic people?
- When did you realize you were different from most people?
- If you had the chance to take away your autism, would you?
Original post by Tom Jickleson
- Do you have many friends?
- Do you prefer hanging out with autistic people or non-autistic people?
- When did you realize you were different from most people?
- If you had the chance to take away your autism, would you?

I can count my good friends on one hand, maybe two at a stretch, but I do have many people I'm amicable with, so that's okay.
Depends on what symptoms the autistic person has. It's a wide variety, so I guess I don't have a preference, really.
I didn't really have any sort of light-bulb moment; but I always knew I was a little eccentric. I only truly realised how different I was when my mum told me about autism and I was like "Wait, that's a thing? Cool!".
No, I don't think so. I don't know what I'd be without it! During the midst of sensory overloads I have considered it. But it's gotten me out of boring classes before and sent me home a couple of times, so I guess there's some upsides XD.
Do you prefer having the diagnosis?

Do you feel fearful about using the condition as a sort of social crutch?

Are you well adjusted? If so, do people believe the diagnosis when you tell them?

Have you found any books or other self-help material to be useful?

Have you used any support services? If so, what was your experience like? And how long did it take you to get a referral.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s

My favourite subject is drama! I also really like English language and computing.
Reply 13
Are you a boy or girl?

And what do you mean by feeling different than everyone else? Communication, humour etc?
What thing relevant to your experience of autism causes you the most challenges/struggles on a day to day basis?
Original post by arthur97
Are you a boy or girl?

And what do you mean by feeling different than everyone else? Communication, humour etc?

Hoo boy, the dreaded question. I'm actually afab bigender (agender and male). So, uh, a boy?
I don't really know, since I've never been neurotypical. All I know is what I've experienced, and I know that sometimes people think I'm different and that sometimes I don't understand other people. It's an odd experience from this side...
Original post by Emily.97
What thing relevant to your experience of autism causes you the most challenges/struggles on a day to day basis?

Sensory overload, defo. I go to a huge school, so it's really hard for me to make it through the day. Because of my added dyspraxia (which makes me very disorganised) I get very stressed very easily because of all the sights and sounds. I have been sent home a couple of times because it got so bad...
Original post by Proxenus

And to you too!! XD
Original post by stefano865
Interesting combination. :smile:

Ikr? As my mum likes to say... doubly blessed!
Original post by AspergDyspraKid
I also have dyspraxia

What kind of diagnosed autism do you have? is your dyspraxia changed for better in following ages?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending