The Student Room Group

I've started revising for my AS exams today. Too late?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alka-temp
I'm really worried too I haven't started yet....will start today hopefully. I have been doing little bits throughout the year though but I have neglected psych ALL year and have absolutely no revision for it cause I hate it.

(my other subjects are maths, chem, biology)

most worried about biology, since it's OCR B and super hard.
I don't think 4 hours a day will be enough for me, probs need 4 hours per subject fml

...No psychology revision...

What exam board are you doing? Are you an AS student?
Reply 21
It's not too late (hopefully). I started during Easter and I'm doing slow and steady revision. Hoping to finish by the end of Easter. Then for the remaining month or so until my AS exams, I'm just gonna do past papers and practice questions.

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably finish proper notes/revision a few days after the Easter break ends.
Reply 22
Original post by Haamoo7
It's not too late (hopefully). I started during Easter and I'm doing slow and steady revision. Hoping to finish by the end of Easter. Then for the remaining month or so until my AS exams, I'm just gonna do past papers and practice questions.

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably finish proper notes/revision a few days after the Easter break ends.

Do you mean you started writing your notes in Easter?

I would never finish if I did that.
Reply 23
Original post by SGHD26716
Do you mean you started writing your notes in Easter?

I would never finish if I did that.

I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to notes. I've made in-class notes and some extra notes throughout the year.
Now in Easter I'm re-writing my notes and adding any necessary extra information, and making my own "revision guide" of notes for each subject.

So I'm kinda making new notes all over again, but I already know some/most of the information and content.
Reply 24
Original post by Haamoo7
I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to notes. I've made in-class notes and some extra notes throughout the year.
Now in Easter I'm re-writing my notes and adding any necessary extra information, and making my own "revision guide" of notes for each subject.

So I'm kinda making new notes all over again, but I already know some/most of the information and content.

I (try) write notes after each major topic. Then I add some more detail later if I think that is a key point
Original post by NotMolly
Well, what would you do if we told you it was too late? It's hardly going to affect how much you revise from now on.

I've heard the grade boundaries for Geography exams are usually quite low but that shouldn't stop you working hard.

Do as many past papers and questions as you can! A-Levels are all about applying knowledge.

I take it you're on the reformed specification for A-Levels, so your AS grade counts as a separate qualification to your A2?

Yes, my AS level wont count towards my A2, which is just absolutely wonderful
Original post by VioletFeather
Yes, my AS level wont count towards my A2, which is just absolutely wonderful

I'd hate that! So does your AS level basically become void when you complete the A2?

I suppose it's better for the subject you drop because you'll have a separate qualification. I did an AS in Critical Thinking and Music so now I have two random half-qualifications sitting about on my UCAS form.
I'd hate that! So does your AS level basically become void when you complete the A2?

No, it counts as a separate qualification that universities can still see. You have to get a C (or a D I think) to continue with your A-level in the next year but it means if I get a C this year in English, I can get an A* next year.
No, it counts as a separate qualification that universities can still see. You have to get a C (or a D I think) to continue with your A-level in the next year but it means if I get a C this year in English, I can get an A* next year.

Ah, I see. That seems more logical than what we have to do :-(
...No psychology revision...

What exam board are you doing? Are you an AS student?

edexcel, and yes AS
Reply 30
My teacher said that the best time to start revision is February half term but I didn't.
Can I still get AAAB if I start revising now?

HOW MUCH revision should I do a day/weekends?

Subjects are English Lit, English Lang, Geography, Religious Studies

Thanks xx

I started revising around this time last year for my AS exams, and managed to get those grades. Although, I was doing completely different subjects (Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology). 4 hours a day is probably good.
Original post by alka-temp
edexcel, and yes AS

Oh, okay :') I'm on AQA A so I have no idea what Edexcel covers.

What topics do you do?
topic 1 = social
topic 2 = cognitive
topic 3 = biological
topic 4 = learning theories

for each topic we have: CONTENT, METHODS, STUDIES, KEY QUESTION or PRACTICAL INVESTIGATION

I'll just list content:
social: obedience & prejudice
cognitive: models of memory
biological: CNS & agression
learning theories: classical conditioning, operant conditioning, social learning theory

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Psychology/2015/specification-and-sample-assessments/Pearson-Edexcel-Specification-Advanced-Subsidiary-GCE-in-Psychology.pdf
Reply 33
So too late would be May, I'm starting in April, good would have been around March.

So maybe I should expect AABB...

That's about right. You should have been doing light revision throughout the year (so like revising each section as you go along the syllabus on top of your lessons) and starting to actually put a lot of hours in around March/May.

I started serious revision around April last year for my AS and I got ABBD lol, few marks off an A for the Bs, and the D was either a bad day or a mistake because I did 100% throughout the year.

Ah well. AS means jackshit anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest